1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets deal for Dillon Brooks (4 yrs/$86 million + incentives)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dr of Dunk, Jul 1, 2023.

1. HTownTmac1

HTownTmac1 Member

People complaining so much . He’s gonna be a great complementary piece for us ! It’s not like we are competing for championship this year or next

2. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

That's not what it means though. I really like KPJ. I'm not a KPJ hater by any means. But dude has no dog in him. When people call a guy a dog they're talking about guys like Draymond, Pat Bev, Dillon Brooks, Marcus Smart, Lu Dort, etc. Guys who won't give an inch on defense. Like I said, I love KPJ, but he ain't even close to that.

And I think you know that.

#702 Williamson, Jul 5, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2023
  3. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I thought everyone knew what "got that dog in him" meant. I guess not.

Also when you got the dog in you - when it gets intense, your game doesn't waver.. The intangibles intensify,

When KPJ gets in his head, everything falls apart

4. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

“Dog in him” is explicitly defined as limping any time you turn the ball over.

5. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I lol'd.

Drift Monkey and AroundTheWorld like this.
  6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

7. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Ryan Anderson was a 6'10" bucket, a good player who got scapegoated and I'll die on that hill.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  8. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

From the looks of that viral video, Jaygup was looking for a raw dawg.....

Ren ason likes this.
  9. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Nah. Revisionist history.

Man lost his shot/confidence and couldn't make a bucket to save his life. Couldn't defend well either.

10. OremLK

OremLK Member

He was exactly what we signed him to be the first year here, a high-volume knockdown 3P shooter. Shot 40% from three on 7 attempts a game. Too bad it was all decline from there.

11. futilman

futilman Member

Grant Williams for 4/54 and Brooks for 4/80??

Mathloom likes this.
  12. Landry's Tooth

I agree with the idea... still think they could have accomplished with a more complete player or at a smaller contract...

ramotadab likes this.
  13. beardsanity713

Dillion is making about what he is supposed to be making as one of the premiere defenders in the league.

NBA All Defense 1st team

Jaren Jackson Jr. - $28 Mil $27 Mil $25 Mil
    Brooke Lopez- $24 Mil 24 Mil
    Evan Mobley- $8,478,720 Mil $8,882,640 Mil $11,227,657 Mil
    Jrue Holiday- $33 Mil $36 Mil $38 Mil
    Alex Caruso- $9 Mil $9 Mil $9 Mil

All Defense 2nd Team

Bam Adebayo- $30 Mil $32 Mil $34 Mil $37 Mil
    OG Anunoby- $17 Mil $18 Mil $19 Mil
    Dillon Brooks
    Derrick White- $16 Mil $18 Mil $19 Mil
    Draymond Green- 25 Mil 25 Mil 25 Mil

ramotadab, ApolloRLB and xaos like this.
  14. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Maybe but as much as I dislike Brooks it's hard to deny his defense. The Rockets would have had a hard time getting a comparable defender without giving up real assets.

ramotadab likes this.
  15. xaos

xaos Member

Was going to post something like this earlier but didn't want to read the counter arguments lol

16. beardsanity713

People keep ignoring he made the All defense team.
    Any player who makes any All NBA team usually gets compensated as such.
    Guy is an elite defender going to one of the worst teams in the league of course you gotta pay.

As far as the shooting I'm sure the Rockets coaches will help him improve his percentages.

17. OremLK

OremLK Member

I mean the counter-arguments are obvious--the guys who don't score well on that list know their role and don't take very many shots, and the shots they do take are higher-efficiency as a result. Some of those guys are also, of course, very good offensive players, far better than Brooks has ever been.

I would have no problem with 4 years/$80 million for Dillon Brooks if he had a 55% true shooting percentage and took <10 shots per game. My concern is that he's going to actually wreck any hope we have for our offense to improve with his chucking, and in doing so, obliterate the positive value he provides on defense.

roslolian and DaDakota like this.
  18. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

he will make 17 million something in 4 years at least.

19. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Thybulle made two All D teams and he ain't getting paid nowhere near 80M. Maybe those other players got their deals when there were multiple suitors to offer that $$. Wasn't nobody else paying this dude $80M.

20. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

I dont know enough of either the players to make an assessment. But wasn't Thybulle basically so bad on offense, that the Sixers deemed him almost unplayable? Brooks takes bad shots - and way too many shots for a player his size, but he does have good offensive tools. I think his catch and shoot percentage from three was somewhere around 38% - he can drive, he can pass. Take out 6 bad shots by him each game and you have got a pretty good role player on offense and a defensive tone setter on defense.

The thing about Brooks: most of his problems seem fixable. And if you do fix him, you get that kind of player that every teams wants. Now the majority of fans (and probably team) probably think, that you can't fix Brooks - that he will always think, he deserves 20 shots and a step back long two against a great defender is a good shot form him. And that he will always behave like a little kid that thinks everybody else is beneath him. Ime definetly thinks, that he can fix Brooks. If he does, the deal will be good. If he doesn't the deal will be bad.

roslolian likes this.