1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Poll] Do you like the signing of Dillon Brooks?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Jul 2, 2023.

?

Do you like the signing of Dillon Brooks?

Poll closed Jul 16, 2023.
  1. Yes

146 vote(s)
    32.2%
  2. No

308 vote(s)
    67.8%
  1. Salvy

Salvy Member

Wait, so Brooks is coming from a bad situation to a fresh team in need of a defensive veteran presence and you don't think that maybe just maybe the bad situation played a role in his poor play last year?

Lets not create problems that don't yet exist because you don't like the player, let Brooks play.... He can bring a lot to the table, it happens all the time in every sport. Any free agent signing is a risk, players play differently in different teams and scenarios. Look at bum Harden.... I like the pick up, I think he will thrive in Houston....

2. Von Rafer

Von Rafer Member

I couldn’t care less what Tilman spends his money on, but the Houston Rockets have to navigate this thing called a “salary cap”.

Drift Monkey likes this.
  3. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

“Generic” is too strong. His point of attack D over the course of a season is elite and he’s a relentless competitor.

Draymond is an incrementally better defender, worse shooter, and better facilitator. The big difference is Draymond has accepted a role that works for him and only occasionally strays into being toxic.

Brooks can be a very valuable player here if he buys into his role. That’s a big if, though.

pugsly8422 likes this.
  4. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Memphis' "under no circumstances" odd ass statement aside...

Saying no one else was bidding for him is almost assuredly a fabrication. NO ONE had a contract for an all-NBA defender? Extremely doubtful. Maybe we had to overpay to win his services but that's the cost of doing business when you burn a contender to the ground and rely on teenagers for 3 seasons.

I think Memphis probably asked him to not "poke the bear" and he did anyway (maybe confident in his ability to command another good contract). Memphis just lost their edge for sure and we gained a sorely needed one. I sincerely doubt Ime asks him to shoot 15 times a game when he's probably 5th option on the starting unit.

We got our guy to lead the offense and now one to lead the defense. Curious to see how the possible S/T works out and if we can nab another solid player.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

What makes that statement "odd"?

We're talking about a 49% TS caliber palyer who was actively throwing a fit because he "only" got to take 14 shots a game. He thought it was an insult that he didn't have a larger role in the offense.

When you have one of the worst offensive players in the league making demands like that, of course any rational team would say "under no circumstances will this scrub be allowed on the team next year"

As to other teams bidding, he only had 2 other meetings and neither team made an offer. The Rockets were bidding against themselves. No one else was seriously interested due to how horrible Brooks is at basketball.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He is just is not the 3rd option.

Morant, Bane, JJJ are all above him. (Now they got Smart)

He probably is there with Brandon Clarke, who gradually became a bench player.

Clarke is also someone who suffered from injuries.

7. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Give a guy enough shots...

He complained about not being used enough offensively. He is going to try and pretend he is a star and we'll just lost games.

Drift Monkey likes this.
  8. ExTxGS

ExTxGS Member

Trust Ime Udoka. He is not Silas, and never let this happen.

9. burnshroom

burnshroom Member

I can see him stopping the growth of Jalen Green, so yeah he might just deliver.

Drift Monkey, OremLK and Tuckmose like this.
  10. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

If Brooks gets benched 1000% chance he pulls a John Wall and whines to the media and launches a tell-all expose on the Rockets, stage 5 cancer.

juicystream and Drift Monkey like this.
  11. Painting_Shade

Painting_Shade Contributing Member

there is literally nothing good about this signing. he wants more shots, is a terrible shooter, has one of the worst ortgs in the game, really statistically not a good defender, locker room cancer

Drift Monkey likes this.
  12. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

Did you just make a post without referencing Kevin Porter Jr?!?!?!?!
    [​IMG]

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I see as per usual, you didn't actually answer and instead tried to deflect.

14. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

i think were it not for the playoffs debacle, this would be considered a great value...
    as it is... i'm not wild about the 4 years... but ehhh, its a reasonable gamble... i mean 3 or 4 years from now i gotta believe a 20M/yr contract aint gonna be much of anything...

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  15. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

You asked, "What makes that statement odd?"

My statement was that Memphis announcing "under no circumstances will he return" is odd.

My answer to your question is as follows:

It's odd because it's unprofessional as hell for a team to announce it like that when there was absolutely no need to do so. It's odd because he was a good player for them. It's odd because it seems like they needed a scapegoat for a teamwide playoff meltdown and something to focus on other than Ja Morant playing gangster. It's odd because it seems like they really just wanted to max Bane with the rest of their core, and signing Brooks too would impede their flexibility moving forward. Grizzlies' Salaries Set Up Successful Future – The Lead (theleadsm.com)

It's odd because they leaned into his newly minted villain persona to make themselves look good when really it's probably just Tillman Fertitta's favorite reason: Luxury Tax Savings.

I have answered your question citing specific reasons.

anthony59237 and pippendagimp like this.
  16. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

The problem is teams can’t dare Draymond Green to shoot 15-20 times a game because he’s skilled enough as a facilitator to drive into the lane and find an open teammate. He also realizes his limitations and plays within them.

Dillon Brooks is not a playmaker, so he can’t do that, He also has not figured out he is an inefficient scorer and limited his shot attempts.

Drift Monkey likes this.
  17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Ah, the problems is you don't seem to realize that he wasn't a good player for them. He was actually REALLY terrible for them. I guess since you didn't seem to realize that, it makes your statement make more sense.

In reality, you have one of the worst players in the entire league demanding your team expand his role on offense and is suggesting that ONLY 14 shots per game is an insult to them....so you say "yeah, we're out on that godawful scrub". Since that's what happened, it makes perfect sense. In the fantasy world where he was even a slightly decent palyer, sure, they wouldn't have said that.

His league adjusted TS added was -183.8 last season, the second worst in the entire league....that's the guy demanding more shots.

Now that I've explained reality to you, does it make more sense?

Drift Monkey likes this.
  18. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

Not for the price we paid. It just feels 4 years 48 million would have been fair. I doubt many teams were after him. I honestly thought he might be China bound. $20 million a year for this guy? My God. Dude got his bag of generational wealth, now he'll probably be one of those players who goes through the motions.

Drift Monkey likes this.
  19. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

You asked why the statement was odd. I answered why it was odd. Delving into exaggerations and justifications on behalf of the Memphis Grizzlies is something you'll be doing on your own, just so you know.

All-NBA defense = "actually REALLY terrible"
    [​IMG]

anthony59237 likes this.
  20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You answered why you thought it was odd based on outright false information, I thein corrected you.

Sorry kiddo, but actual numbers aren't "exaggerations" he was literally the 2nd worst in the entire league in league adjusted TS added last season....and he was demanding more shots.

Don't worry though, I admire your blind faith, it's just not something I do. Don't ever let reality knock your homer glasses off.

Drift Monkey likes this.