1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets sign Fred VanVleet (3 years, $130M)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 30, 2023.

?

Do you like the signing of Fred VanVleet?

Poll closed Oct 9, 2023.
  1. YES

62.9%
  2. NO

37.1%
  1. Arnel

Arnel Member

seriously, what the heck is he blabbering on about lol

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

3. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It’s not insane. It’s higher than expected, but it’s in line with the BORD$ valuation. I like the player, we just need to use the remaining cap space wisely. I don’t think that’s Dillon Brooks.

4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

I agree but I don’t agree with the contract. It reeks of desperation

saleem and GotGame15 like this.
  5. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

The Rockets were unquestionably the worst team in the league for 3 years.

Are you under the impression we shouldn't have been desperate? Why is that a bad thing? We definitely should be desperate for competence now that we're giving picks to OKC. Were you expecting top free agents to give us below market discounts?

slothy420, ElPigto, theDude and 3 others like this.
  6. fattz

fattz Member

Do you think they could quickly move this contract without putting in other assets? If your answer is no than it’s a bad contract.

Answer => The Raptors think it’s to much.

7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

8. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

My guess is KPJ’s agent is blowing up Stones phone to try and get him to Toronto in a FVV sign and trade. KPJ’s days in Houston are likely numbered, and he could start or be a 6th man on many veteran NBA teams. KPJ is a better player than Shroeder IMO. Makes sense to do that and free up more cap to sign Lopez and another wing.

9. RocketsFan11

RocketsFan11 Member

I don’t understand a rental when building for the future. Rather suck with KPJ & Amen getting reps. What’s the point of FVV? You want leadership - isn’t that what the coach is for?

10. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

what on earth is going on
    how many players in the nba are making abover 40 mil and how many are better than FVV.. clutchfans nerds come with it

GotGame15 likes this.
  11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

I think there’s a smarter way to go about it. Tyus jones would have been good, maybe even Monte morris who just got traded for a 2nd. I think ime and stone needed to draw a line in the sand and go we won’t go above this to get our guy and they didn’t

GotGame15 likes this.
  12. dmoneybangbang

I agree, but being desperate in areas where we can (big money over 3 years) is different than being desperate and using assets.

13. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

18 players, and uhh all of them?

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/contracts/

palmsnbananas likes this.
  14. jacoby

jacoby Member

We don't have our pick this year or 2026. We have to compete eventually.

Aruba77 likes this.
  15. Holybats

Holybats Member

He was the best PG available.Love the signing.

16. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Why would signing two clearly average/replacement level point guards be the "smarter way to go about it"? Just because they're cheaper?

If we went that route, people on here would be complaining how we still suck next year and still don't have useful veterans.

ElPigto likes this.
  17. astros123

astros123 Member

We're paying 40 million for a guy whos an average shooter and who's going be a "teacher" on and off the court ? Can't we just bring in a mentor or special assistant for a fraction of the cost? He shoots 34% from 3

Yall smoking that good here

18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

19. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

This is like the dumbest of dumb money play. FVV's leadership developmental role can be filled by 3 vets on vet minimum for like $8m total/year.

What is Fred gonna do? Pound the ball and take away touches from Sengun, Kevin Porter Jr (do you remember signing him to some kind of decent contract?), Amen Thompson.

Even as the biggest Amen hater like me thinks that for Amen to have a chance to suceed, he needs to play that 1 position full time.

20. invocux

invocux Member

I'm not really an Amen believer and like fvv signing but this kid is absolutely f.ked and feel for him. While he clearly needs to fix his shot and it'll take a while, the message we are giving him is disturbing. If we that's a legit 3 year contract and we are not planning to trade Kpj or putting him on the wing, how is that kid ever gonna have more than 10-15 mins per game? You can't really improve without playing that's bs.