1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I was really digging Stone, but after...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Jun 30, 2023.

1. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Of course, the Rockets overpaid. They could have offered VanVleet 5 years, 160 million like Jerami Grant received and then the board would b**** that they blocked Amen Thompson for way too long. Instead, they offered a ridiculous AAV for a short-term deal that expires the same time as they have to decide which young players to extend. Offering fewer years means you have to offer a higher annual salary, especially if you are a terrible team. Plus, the Rockets still aren’t at the salary floor and they have no one needing an extension before this contract expires.

Furthermore, the Rockets needed a floor general much more than they need Brook Lopez. A point guard that knows how to run an offense and get the young guys the ball in the right spots on the floor while playing the right way is critical for the development of Jalen Green, Alperen Sengun, Jabari Smith, Amen Thompson, Tari Eason, KJ Martin, Cam Whitmore and so on. Brook Lopez can help with rim protection, but he will not be nearly as impactful unlocking all the Rockets’ young talent as a competent point guard will.

I don’t like the third year, and I would have explored trades for a guy like Tyus Jones in Washington, but this didn’t cost them any assets.

2. dram1

dram1 Member

It's not nonsense just because you disagree with him. You sound like one of them crybaby lefty liberals. Get outta your safe space dude. What the poster said is absolutely correct. We are paying over 40 million a year to a 29 year old player...averaging less than 20 ppg and 5 rebounds. That's not production that warrants top dollar....even though it was on a short 3 yr deal. It's still a ton of dough for only decent talent. Our GM looks trigger happy to overspend that man's (Fertitta) money.

3. dram1

dram1 Member

It's not nonsense just because you disagree with him. You sound like one of them crybaby lefty liberals. Get outta your safe space dude. What the poster said is absolutely correct. We are paying over 40 million a year to a 29 year old player...averaging less than 20 ppg and 5 rebounds. That's not production that warrants top dollar....even though it was on a short 3 yr deal. It's still a ton of dough for only decent talent. Our GM looks trigger happy to overspend that man's (Fertitta) money.

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Why don't you keep the politics out of the GARM.

5. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Nope… wasn’t the only option…. which other option did u prefer?
    I agree in a vacuum we grossly overpaid…
    But we desperately need someone to run the floor and develop these kids…
    We had to spend 50m by the first game of the season… and the majority of our roster is rookie scale contracts… and only so many roster spots…

6. liveguy

liveguy Member

Dude is a casual.

Anyone not understanding why VV got paid so much IS A CASUAL.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  7. AuburnRocket

AuburnRocket Contributing Member

I agree with some of what you said and some I don't. Yes, we need someone to distribute the ball to the young guys, and yes, that is critical to their growth and development. But, we also need a Brook Lopez...and, I don't think we are set up to get that now. I can see a Brooks or something similar.I believe we could have gotten both...don't think that will happen now. Hope there is something team friendly in the 3rd year or something...otherwise, it was a knee jerk panic move IMO. Hope it works out but too much IMO and a diminishing return situation.

8. DVauthrin

Of course, the Rockets overpaid. They could have offered VanVleet 5 years, 160 million like Jerami Grant received and then the board would b**** that they blocked Amen Thompson for way too long. Instead, they offered a ridiculous AAV for a short-term deal that expires the same time as they have to decide which young players to extend. Offering fewer years means you have to offer a higher annual salary, especially if you are a terrible team. Plus, the Rockets still aren’t at the salary floor and they have no one needing an extension before this contract expires.

Furthermore, the Rockets needed a floor general much more than they need Brook Lopez. A point guard that knows how to run an offense and get the young guys the ball in the right spots on the floor while playing the right way is critical for the development of Jalen Green, Alperen Sengun, Jabari Smith, Amen Thompson, Tari Eason, KJ Martin, Cam Whitmore and so on. Brook Lopez can help with rim protection, but he will not be nearly as impactful unlocking all the Rockets’ young talent as a competent point guard will.

I don’t like the third year, and I would have explored trades for a guy like Tyus Jones in Washington, but this doesn’t cost them any assets.

kjayp likes this.
  9. PWR

PWR Member

*Pistons just got Monte Morris ($9mil) for a 2nd round pick. (38% from 3)
    *Could've traded for Tyus Jones ($14 mil) since he got traded for cheap (37% from 3).
    *Could've signed Jevon Carter ($9 mil) (42% from 3)
    *Could've signed Seth Curry (cheap contract) (40% from 3).

I would've preferred to bring in 2 of those 4 to play all of the PG minutes. 48 minutes per game of premium shooting at the PG position for less than half the price of a guy that shot 34% from 3 last year. Oh well, guess I'll just be rooting for FVV.

I would have preferred to spread that $60 mil in cap around to 4-5 shooter to add to this roster while getting rid of JC , Garuba, aand Tate.

10. Xopher

Xopher Member
    Supporting Member

They signed Fred VanVleet. Not Greta Van Fleet...They had to spend over 50 million to reach the cap FLOOR. They do not need a bunch of cheaper contracts. I'm not happy with 3 years, but you weren't going to get anyone close to FVV on a 2 year. Plus he will be an expiring after 2. Sign Brook and MAYBE someone else and that's it. We have too many young guys to play already.

11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Anyone wanting 2 years for the top pg in this FA class is being unrealistic.

Three yrs isn't terrible because the last year can be used as a trade chip for trade deadlime deals.

When a foreigner like Wemby starts cheering after rockets getting eliminated from the no.1 lotto pick, then you know our team's rep is in the shitter.

People are dumping the deal because reality is setting in that this team isn't expected to do much in the three yr window. A playstation nba live trade for harden wouldn't have made it any better, albeit the off court drama would make the next seasons less boring...

DVauthrin, roslolian and robbie380 like this.
  12. DVauthrin

The Rockets still have roughly $24 million in cap space after signing VanVleet. That’s plenty to make Lopez a competitive offer.

#72 DVauthrin, Jun 30, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2023
    roslolian likes this.
  13. AuburnRocket

Goodness, hope you are right but I don't think that's happening.Hope so though. Sure would love to eat crow on this.

14. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

So could the shooting coach.

Jontro likes this.
  15. DVauthrin

Seth Curry and Jevon Carter have proven nothing as playmakers. They are not what this Rockets’ team needs from a point guard. Trading for Tyus Jones would have been a fine option, but I’m sure the Wizards want a first-round pick for him. Monte Morris is ok, but he didn’t fare well when he got his chance to run the show for the Wizards last season with better talent than the Rockets have.

16. DVauthrin

I know Twitter is a cesspool, but the rumors surrounding the Rockets and Lopez are they were preparing to offer him something in the neighborhood of 2 years, $40 million.

17. Xopher

Xopher Member
    Supporting Member

**** off and get your politics out of here and take to the to D and D.

18. PWR

PWR Member

Udoka went to the finals with Marcus Smart at point guard. He isn't a high level playmaker either. Don't need a Harden type play-maker for his offense to be successful.

19. AuburnRocket

Yeah, the prevailing opinion seems to be not enough for Lopez...something along the lines of Brooks. ESPN's Jefferson while enthusiastic about FVV doesn't think Lopez fits now.

20. DVauthrin

The Rockets don’t have players the caliber of Jayson Tatum or Jaylen Brown on the roster. They have an entire team of young players that need to develop into a Tatum or Brown. That happens by having a point guard that can help the young guys develop properly.

The Rockets aren’t on the bubble Suns’ level as a team, but think about the improvement they had after adding Chris Paul.

#80 DVauthrin, Jun 30, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2023
    roslolian and Xopher like this.