1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I was really digging Stone, but after...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Jun 30, 2023.

1. liveguy

liveguy Member

Exactly.

Anyone that doesn't understand this is a casual.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  2. PWR

PWR Member

Nah, I didn't want them either. Doesn't mean the only option should be to give $40+ mil per year to the 15th ranked guy at his position.

GotGame15 likes this.
  3. AuburnRocket

AuburnRocket Contributing Member

My goodness...that is staggering money. agree Plow totally. Wanted him but that is ridiculous.

GotGame15, Plowman and astros123 like this.
  4. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Was not digging Stone and now we have a GM coach which I bet is not great for internal harmony. Overpaying for FVV is actually a good move but I bet would not have happened without Ime’s insistence. If we bring home Lopez it will still be about Ime not Stone. But we will have turned a corner.

5. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

The Rockets overpaid VanVleet and gave him one more year than I wanted, but they needed someone that can get the baby Rockets running a structured offense and deliver the ball to them in the right spots on the floor. Also, he has the credibility to hold the young players accountable when they aren’t playing the way Udoka wants them to play.

Now, Jalen Green can focus on scoring and being a better defender. Jabari Smith and Alperen Sengun have someone that can get them the ball in advantageous positions to score or set others up. Amen Thompson gets a good veteran to learn behind as he starts his career out, and VanVleet’s deal expires around the time you must decide which young guys to extend.

IvanLCPM, slothy420, ArtV and 3 others like this.
  6. DVauthrin

The Rockets were a terrible team last season with all young players. They were going to have to overpay any good, veteran player to come here right now. Also, the annual AAV is this high because they wanted a short-term deal (three years qualifies).

7. liveguy

liveguy Member

EXACTLY this!

Plow is my dude…..he gotta come back from the brink!

This was a fantastic move considering all the “wants” Udoka mentioned a few days ago in vets they bring in.

I hate that third year but thats the cost of doing business.

ArtV, Williamson, Plowman and 2 others like this.
  8. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

I agree, the more I think about it, the more I realize the Rockets have no other alternative. This is a risk we have to take.

DVauthrin and liveguy like this.
  9. texans1095

texans1095 Member

10. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Duuuuude. You’re looking at this all wrong.

The young guys are not ready. Not only do they NOT know how to win, they don’t even know how to be professionals.

Good coach? Check
    Incoming veteran leadership/good players/ professionals? Check

This is the second good move with a couple more coming. It was the right thing to do.

11. DVauthrin

If this was the originally reported 2 year, 85 million deal, most everyone would be ecstatic. I don’t love the third year, either, but if having a pure point guard and coach on the court unlocks Green, Smith, Sengun, etc, it was well worth it. My expectations are 30-35 wins with significant positive improvement from all the young talent. If everything breaks right, they get in the play-in conversation.

liveguy likes this.
  12. CantStopJG24

CantStopJG24 Member

Honestly, I don't believe not getting Harden was a stone move. It's telling that the reports of us being interested in Harden died as soon as we signed Udoka. The feelers that were out about Harden going back to Houston lets me know the front office was all for it and let it be known thru back channels that they want him back. So thank you Udoka for putting your foot down. he was there in Bk when Harden was there, im sure he despised coaching him.

Salvy and mikol13 like this.
  13. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I agree with this. For as much as I appreciate Harden, he’s not the leader this team needs. He wouldn’t be good for the direction of this team. We need a different breed of players/leaders.

DVauthrin likes this.
  14. Risingred

Risingred Member

Does it really need a new thread to blast Stone? The contract is overpriced a little bit, and most Rockets fans don't like year 3. That being said, assume FVV goes back to Toronto, and we have 60m cap space available with nobody worth spending. We have either left the free agency with no PG or traded for one. Every team knows we are desperate for a PG, how much do we need to give up to acquire one? Stop this nonsense, grow up please, life is not always perfect.

Williamson and Jayzers_100 like this.
  15. junk151

junk151 Member

b
    Because Clutchfans :D

16. junk151

junk151 Member

Because Clutchfans :D

17. AuburnRocket

AuburnRocket Contributing Member

Let me assure you that we overpaid for damn sure. I like FVV but that is atrocious. I think the chances of landing a Lopez just fell trough the floor.IMO, we need a Lopez presence inside. We can still look at Brooks or someone similar but am not a fan of overpaying that much.

18. OremLK

OremLK Member

Jefferson is the best dude they got on ESPN now that JVG is outta there.

He might not be wrong, FVV + Brook Lopez fills our two biggest holes (floor general, rim protector) with very solid players. Not superstars, but very good. All we'd need is one big breakout from our young guys (Green, Sengun, whoever) and we're right there at the doorstep of the postseason.

Am I going to bet on that happening? I'm not as hyped as Richard, I think we still need something like Donovan Mitchell/Devin Booker level production from a guy like Green, or Sengun to already be matching/exceeding Sabonis on both ends, and I don't think either of them are quite there if they continue on the same trendlines. But sometimes guys take a surprisingly large step forward year 3, so we'll see.

liveguy and Jayzers_100 like this.
  19. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Nope… wasn’t the only option…. which other option did u prefer?
    I agree in a vacuum we grossly overpaid…
    But we desperately need someone to run the floor and develop these kids…

20. clos4life

clos4life Member

I mean, none of his FA moves have been great other than not guaranteeing KPJ's contract. So far all he has been good at is the draft, and that's because he had lots of assets he seems to have hit upon, but not all of them such as JayGup. Of course, after today's video, I see why JayGup is really there, but still.