1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Vivek Ramaswamy 2024

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, Feb 21, 2023.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I don't like the political positions of teachers unions, but umm...I don't think a President can just "abolish" them?

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

What department will be managing the school choice funding, and ensuring there are security guards and cameras and that curricula are published? Honor system?

3. Turbo

Turbo Contributing Member

I don't follow super closely, but I think a lot of what this guy espouses is to shift control and oversight away from the federal and to the state/ local governments.

4. dmoneybangbang

Don’t see the police union being abolished despite the hundred of millions that are paid out by municipalities for bad cops.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Sounds like a conservative idea, but how can you promise all these things if you give away your power to control them. Can't have it both ways.

6. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Why not just shoot the teachers?

Gets rid of the union AND sends a message to anyone thinking of a shootout in a school.

Two birds and a stone and all that.

7. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

While vivek may not know, hopefully he has at least one adviser that has told him he can't do any of the things he is campaigning on. I suspect he has simply picked a few targets that fellow maga voters hate and is simply trying to sound tough to get their votes. He might as well go all out and say as president he will solve inflation and cure cancer.

ROCKSS, mdrowe00 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

9. tinman

Supporting Member

10. adoo

adoo Member

How Vivek Ramaswamy helped make Martin Shkreli the ‘pharma bro’

Vivek Ramaswamy, the Republican presidential candidate who made a fortune in biotech, once was involved in a significant investment in a biotech company run by disgraced investor Martin Shkreli.

Shkreli, the oft-described “pharma bro” who went to prison for four years for committing securities fraud and securities fraud conspiracy after he gained notoriety for dramatically raising the cost of a life-saving antiparasitic drug, said in a YouTube video in mid-April that Ramaswamy was at one point his “biggest investor” and called him “a friend.”

“He basically took our business model and supersized it,” he told the “My First Million” podcast in a little-noticed part of the video. “Who influenced who is a matter that is left to history.”

Ramaswamy wrote in “Woke Inc.” that when he first met Shkreli, he found him “brilliant” and that he was “a little envious.” Ramaswamy also criticized prosecutors who went after him, saying that the case was “murky.”

“What was Martin Shkreli really guilty of?” Ramaswamy wrote. “Why did the DOJ go after him so hard, when it lets others quietly get away with much worse? … [W]hom did Shkreli hurt? The people he was convicted for defrauding all ended up richer. The people who used Daraprim didn’t pay more for it; the cost was split up across the whole health insurance system.”

#230 adoo, Jul 4, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2023
  11. tinman

Supporting Member

@Os Trigonum
    Debs hates this Indian!

12. tinman

Supporting Member

13. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

What was good for me isn’t good for thee…

14. adoo

adoo Member

Notably, Ramaswamy’s Yale tenure was supported in part by a post-graduate fellowship funded by the "woke" Soros family.

Vivek Ramaswamy Paid Wikipedia Editors to Erase His Soros Fellowship and Covid Work

He announced his 2024 bid after making sure his Wikipedia page was edited.

Mediaite reports that Ramaswamy seems to have paid Wikipedia editor “Jhofferman,” to remove information from his page that he presumably thought would damage his candidacy in the Republican primary. A few days later, he announced his 2024 bid.

The editor scrubbed off information related to Ramaswamy receiving the Paul & Daisy Soros Fellowship for New Americans in 2011, during his time as a Yale law student. Paul Soros is the older brother of billionaire democratic donor George Soros, who has been the subject of perennial antisemitic conspiracy theories peddled by the right. (The fellowship Ramaswamy received is dedicated to helping immigrants and children of immigrants pursue graduate school.)

Prominent right-wing figures like Jack Posobiec have directed attention toward Ramaswamy’s past fellowship, presumably in line with the aforementioned use of Soros as a catch-all for anything “suspicious.”

Also removed from Ramaswamy’s page was his work serving on Ohio’s Covid-19 Response Team. The editor claimed that Ramaswamy had explicitly asked to remove the mention of his work on the Covid team, while the editor himself deemed the fellowship to be “extraneous material.”

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  15. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

He explained it perfectly, and yet, she chose to helplessly repeat her clueless attempt to attack him personally. His parents immigrated legally, that's the difference.

16. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My parents immigrated here legally but I’m
    Concerned about birthright citizenship. The basis of it is from the 14th amendment that specifically says anyone born here is a US citizen. It was still denied though for decades to people who looked like Vivek and myself in the basis that even though their parents might be here legally they were still subjects to other countries. The Wong Kim Ark case established that the language of the 14th amendment means exactly what it says.

The problem with making the argument that it only applies to childhood legal immigrants the legal status of an immigrant can change depending on political will. There is already talk of banning immigration from a lot of countries. Also one of the targets against birthright citizenship is “anchor babies” or children born here from parents who were legally here but didn’t have permanent residency. My parents were in that status as they were here in student visas when I was born in Houston.

I don’t know what Ramaswamy’s parents immigration status was when he was born but if they didn’t have permanent residency when he was born then he’s an Anchor Baby too.

17. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, we KNOW. :rolleyes:

mdrowe00 and dmoneybangbang like this.
  18. tinman

Supporting Member

19. adoo

adoo Member

no;

no, she did not.

all he had to do was to reveal what his parents' residency status was, but he didn't.

more than likely, his parents were in the US on student visa; if vivek was born under that circumstance, he was an anchor baby.

#239 adoo, Jul 7, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2023
  20. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member