1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    The Timberwolves are roughing up the Nuggets, can they hold on for a Game 2 win? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Cut, trade, keep, decisions decisions decisions.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Jun 23, 2023.

1. Juxtaposed Jolt

"What's going on in Houston?"

[​IMG]

2. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

haha yea I honestly forgot he was on the team :confused:

3. Rochut

Rochut Member

We need a consolidation trade to clear the roster of guys like Garuba, TyTy, Christopher, Tate, (possibly KM Junior although I like his game) and use our cap space and assets to get a (short-term) starting caliber point guard while Amen develops... and we need a rim protector.

KPJ is Jamal Crawford with better playmaking and passing (and the POTENTIAL to be a ball-hawk style defender with the appropriate fire lit under his ass). A sixth man on steroids - not a starting point guard. Udoka can find ways to create and exploit advantages and put our guys in position to capitalize on their strengths.

Corpusfan and bluffkin like this.
  4. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

This is how I rank our young guys by upside & value:
    1. Alperen Sengun
    2a. Jalen Green
    2b. Jabari Smith Jr
    4. Amen Thompson
    5. Cam Whitmore
    6. Tari Eason
    7. Kevin Porter Jr
    8. Usman Garuba
    9. KJ Martin Jr
    10. TyTy
    11. Josh Christopher

We should trade 2 of 7-11. Preferably KJ Martin & Christopher for a veteran PG. Move KPJ to 6th man combo guard as a spot up shooter and cutter

we have so much young talent. I’m looking forward to free agency

so far the offseason has been an A+
    I loved the Ime Udoka hire, I loved the draft and I have faith in Stone to make the right moves in FA

Y2JT and Losmi_34 like this.
  5. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Sign and trade for Cam Johnson.

As long as it doesn’t involve Sengun, Jabari, Jalen, Cam or Amen.

Anyone else is fair game.

RocketOrg likes this.
  6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Nope, especially Garuba and Tate are now more attractive than ever.

Guys that do not need touches, that can defend, that play like dogs.

The logjam is at talented players now and not at role players, we have a shortage of blue collar players.

Plus a shortage of generational player.

Unless team signs Bruce Brown, Dillon Brooks, Draymond Green and Brook Lopez.

#66 daywalker02, Jun 24, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2023
    No Worries likes this.
  7. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

We have a sht ton of money gotta sign someone

1. Green: he stay
    2. Bari: he stay
    3. Amen: he stay
    4. Cam: he stay
    5. KPJ: he stay
    6. Sengun: he stay
    7. Eason: he stay
    8. Garuba: he stay
    9. TyTy: he stay
    10. KMJ: he gone
    11. Christopher: he gone
    12. Nix: he's gone

Tate is a maybe.

8. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

1) Jalen Green (keeper)
    2) Jabari (keeper)
    3) Tari Eason (keeper)
    4) Sengun (I would rather start Brook Lopez & have mobile PF options)
    5) Cam Whitmore (no trade value....will need to prove self)
    6) KPj [starter, backup (getting 30+ minutes at 1,2,&3), trade with his ok]
    7) Amen (3 to 4 yr project on a win now team....trade)
    8) Tate (trade)
    9) Kenyon (wants to be starter, doesn't space floor, 3rd string after FA...trade)
    10) TyTy (don't care, never wanted....trade)
    11) Garuba (backup, trade)
    12) Josh Christopher (trade)
    13) Nix (trade, waive before money guaranteed)

#68 ApacheWarrior, Jun 24, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2023
  9. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I’m going to judge Stone mostly by how he improves this team through trade and free agency. We really need to make a consolidation trade before free agency. Holding onto KJ has proven to be good for his value, but for guys like Josh Christopher, his value has been harmed by lack of playing time after a really good rookie year. Regardless of how u feel about Stone, we can all agree that with our two draftees and a number of free agents coming, we have to make a move.

SF: With KJ headed towards restricted free agency, Tari’s emergence, the likely addition of a veteran SF, and the newly drafted Cam Whitmore, I think it’s clear that KJ is gone. Tate may also be a casualty, but Ime may like the defense and leadership, plus he’s on a team friendly deal. Stone needs to get the equivalent of a mid-first/late 1st round pick value for KJ Martin.

SG: Jalen’s continued priority for development, KPJ’s likely change of role moving off the ball, the potential to add a vet combo guard like Bruce Brown, means that Christopher doesn’t have much of a pathway towards playing time. The only way I see Josh sticking is if we trade KPJ, and even then he still may be 3rd on the depth chart if we sign a vet. KPJ’s contract may be key to getting a trade done. There’s no way they are both on the team this coming season. Stone needs to get the equivalent of an early 2nd rounder for Christopher, and a late 1st/early 2nd rounder for KPJ.

PG: with the drafting of Amen and the high likelihood of signing a veteran point guard I don’t see TyTy’s path towards playing time and development. Any minutes beyond what a veteran takes are going to Amen. I really like TyTy, but I just don’t see where his opportunity comes from. Given his successful performance in the G-league and that he had half a dozen teams interested in drafting him, Stone will need to get the equivalent of a late first rounder/early 2nd rounder for TyTy.

So KJ (mid-late 1st), JC or KPJ (early 2nd), and TyTy (late 1st/early 2nd). These are the must-trade pieces. Add to that our 2024 Brooklyn pick, our several 2nd round picks, and possibly Tate = Stone has plenty to work with to help this team. Time for some action!

jim1961 likes this.
  10. dmoneybangbang

Realistically we get here after mid season deadline via trade for players or future FRP/SRP:

Green
    Jabari
    Amen
    Sengun
    Tari
    Whitmore

We have a 6 rookie contract core surrounded by 2-3 vets that are part of the everyday rotation. We are competing for one of the play-in spots while looking ahead to prune the roster further. It will most likely be hard to pay all of these players so I predict this will be what remains of the rookie contract core by the 2024 season's deadline:

Green
    Jabari
    Amen
    Sengun

11. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Teams were feverishly, trying to trade up into the middle of the draft to select Cam. Saying has no trade value is ignorant.

Y2JT and No Worries like this.
  12. RocketOrg

RocketOrg Member

Garuba can easily be replaced, and should be. Sign a veteran, preferably someone over 6'8" that can rebound and score a few point by rolling to the basket. Waive or try to package as part of a trade.

TyTy was okay but he ca easily be replaced. Waive to make room for another young player with potential or trade for a later 2nd.

Josh Christopher is a chucker. He can get hot at times but also has a tendency to keep shooting while ignoring other players. I don't picture him as a starter for any team, much less a star. Trade for s second rounder.

Tate should be traded as he no longer has a role on this team. Trade for a second rounder.

Martin is the most athletic of the bunch and has the most trade value. He's a FA so trade for return value or package for s veteran. Yes, Johnson would be a great pickup if the Nets are willing to part ways with him.

13. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

What do you think they are willing to give up that they didn't give
    up on draft day......idiot

You think we should just give him away? How is that value?

14. TimDuncanDonaut

Think the general answer is the deep bench being expendable. People will have their favorites of which young guys. But as far as freeing roster spots: the easiest is to rid of the deep bench vets: Kaminsky and Boban. They can be the first to go when free agent Vets come. People could argue Nix should go first, I won't fight you on it, just thinking who Stone would let go first.

Then there is Tate and KJ. From a contract perspective, I don't see Stone just straight cutting them. He'll try to use them for salary-matching purposes. With many teams trying to be wise with their cap, deals can be had with those contracts.

15. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I assume Indiana or Houston (both reported to have been trying to trade up for him). We’re offering pretty significant value to get up to acquire him. IE offers to get to 10#.

Im sure if we put Cam on the market tomorrow and told teams to give us a Kyle Lowry style protected, pick where the pick lands in between 8 and 13 over the next couple years that there would be a multitude of teams jumping for that deal. I am guessing the Houston would’ve given at Martin a protected first and taken on salary.

You stated in your post that Cam Whitmore had to prove he had trade value, and that he currently had none. You said exactly that and that is an incorrectly statement and ludicrous at that.

16. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Cam Whitmore was valued near 4th pick.

Rockets will want near 4th pick return.

Those other teams will balk and say, no we'll give you
    20th pick value.

Rockets with Cam are upside down on that deal. That's what
    I meant by "No Value"

You took it too literally, we (the Rockets) are not giving up two 2nd rounders
    for Cam Whitmore......despite what they think about his health status.

Rockets have to showcase him and Cam has to stay healthy to prove himself
    worthy of that early first round value

17. maypk

maypk Member

1) Waive KPJ
    2) Make sure #1 is done.

18. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Cut Nix before 6/28

Renounce Augustin, Cauley-Stein, Kaminsky, Marjoanovc :( , Frazier

Trade Tate + SRP to WSH for Monte Morris
    I could see targeting VanVleet, but IMHO he ends up in San Antonio.

Sign Cam (3 years, $90M) 35 - 30 - 25
    I am not in love with it, but there are so many reasons to do it. Now let's see if Pistons also put on the full court press

Sign Naz Reid (4 years, $68M) TO on year 4
    I would prefer Lopez, but I think the reality is that he re-ups in Milwaukee.

Sign Thomas Bryant (2 years, $10M) TO on year 2
    Solid big man depth

Monte - Amen - TyTy
    Thrilla - Scoot - JayGup
    Cam - KMJ - Whitmore
    Bari - Tari - Garuba
    Sengawd - Naz - Bryant

8th - 9th in the West
    Could always do a S&T (or just trade) for a superstar in 2024

19. monster

monster Member

It wouldn’t surprise me if we don’t make too many moves this year. We still need to find out what we have before deciding what it’s worth.
    I’d still like to see what TyTy can do w some consistent minutes.

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Again, Stone and the Rockets will be judged by whom they let go by as much as whom they keep.....if KMJ blows up to 20ppg and 7rbs as a small forward on another team it will have been a mistake to let him go and keep Eason, unless he matches the production.

Same for KPJ, TyTy, Christopher, anyone......he held on too long and now he is stuck being judged on this precarious situation.

DD

Mr.Scary and jcmoon like this.