1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How TF did we get both Amen and Whitmore?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by VoR, Jun 22, 2023.

1. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Too many players in the same position is what I see

NewAge likes this.
  2. Rochut

Rochut Member

Consolidation trade for sure needs to happen with the guys further down the rotation. It is so good that Eric Gordon turned into Cam Whitmore. Now it is on Udoka to get Whitmore's perspective in order and on Sullivan to fix Amen's broken shot.

3. Fantasma Negro

Sounds more like dude was sand-baggin his workouts

Hui, Jayzers_100, Caesar and 4 others like this.
  4. NewAge

NewAge Member

… and Fultz around with the Bols

Aruba77 and roslolian like this.
  5. pr0wler

pr0wler Member

I was having dinner with a friend, and casually checked the #20 pick, expecting it to be some guy I haven't heard of. I saw "#20 Cam Whitmore" I was like uhhh...wasn't he like a top 5 pick at one point? WTF is going on LOL

No complaints here!

fchowd0311 likes this.
  6. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

could you maybe squeeze Severo in there in the background?

Aruba77 and Salvy like this.
  7. Yinka Dare

Yinka Dare Member

Not gonna lie, i'd like to see him under Ime too, but we have too many players now and i fear how a change of role would affect KPJ mentally. He'd be one hell of a sixth man.

8. Salvy

Salvy Member

[​IMG]

Aruba77 and Os Trigonum like this.
  9. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

lol

Salvy likes this.
  10. OremLK

OremLK Member

I suspect what ended up happening is that other rebuilding teams (Detroit, Orlando, Washington, Indiana) talked themselves into liking other specific prospects better. Ausar Thompson, Anthony Black, and Jarace Walker are understandable--some teams really value high IQ guys like those three, and it's not like their physical tools are that much worse than Whitmore's (Ausar's and Walker's might arguably be better). Coulibaly was a weird one, but there's always one weird overdraft in the top 10.

Once he slipped past those teams, he fell into the range where the teams probably didn't even work him out and just assumed he'd be off the board, and those front offices probably started questioning what came up in workouts and second-guessing his spot on their boards. Also, a very young one-and-done with iffy feel for the game isn't a good fit once you start talking about teams like Los Angeles and Miami who are trying to make it back to the Finals.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

They got both of them because Amen has the lowest floor among first round prospects and Cam scared teams away with his injury concerns and immaturity so teams ahead of the Rockets went different directions. It's not a mystery.

12. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Reminds me of the Rashard Lewis tumble. .

groovemachine and Jayzers_100 like this.
  13. Salvy

Salvy Member

Remember when you were saying the same thing about Jalen Green.....

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

And I was right.

2 years into his NBA career and he's still terrible on both sides of the court.

15. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

It’s this simple, if Whitmore works hard and listens to coach, he’s going to be a big-time nba player. That’s a big if, but there’s no reason to assume he won’t maximize his potential. I have zero info on the Medical, which can legit impact a guy’s career, but he is only 18; you’d like to think any issues could be addressed through medical science. At #20 it’s probably the best value pick of the draft.

16. majicdonjuan

majicdonjuan Member

Not at all, but go off.

17. ShiniKashi

ShiniKashi Member

seems dumb to miss out on 4 extra million for that

18. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

There is no question why they got Amen. But Cam was basically considered a top 10 prospect by any scout, and several had him even in the top 3. Injury concerns (at least the ones we know about) and immaturity (and remember, we are talking about a 18 year old kid) are a reason for a slide, but down to 20? No team willing to take a chance on a potential star? That's a headscratcher for me. But we will see, if the league looks dumb in a year, or if they had a good reason to stay away.

pr0wler likes this.
  19. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

Curious what concerns you have with him being a "tweener." I haven't heard anyone make that criticism since 3andD+switchability took over the league.

pr0wler likes this.
  20. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Late nap bro

daywalker02 likes this.