1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Free Agent Target: Fred VanVleet (UFA)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by larsv8, Apr 18, 2023.

1. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

If VanVleet hits free agency, he is expected to receive offers from the Orlando Magic, Houston Rockets and others with cap space who could outbid the Suns, Yahoo Sports' Jake Fischer reported.

Believe It! and Rudyc281 like this.
  2. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Get it done Stone

Believe It! likes this.
  3. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Why do you think FVV would come to Houston? No connections to the franchise, coaches or the city. Teams with some money can easily do a sign and trade with Toronto

4. carl_herrera

carl_herrera Member

Which teams need a PG, and can sign and trade for FVV on a big number without dealing with cap issues? Remember, receiving a player in a S&T hard caps a team.

Suns, Bucks, Celtics, Clippers are out. Only other good team that needs a PG is the Lakers, which is a possibility but they don’t have good matching salary to send back, and it would put them in future tax hell if they keep Reaves.

Really it’d be between Toronto, Houston, maybe San Antonio if they’re not committed to Tre Jones, and maaaaybe Lakers.

Big question is whether Toronto is going young and let’s FVV go, or whether they fight to keep it together and match any offer even if it puts them in the tax.

BaselineFade, jch1911 and OremLK like this.
  5. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Just money and shots, I don't think he cares about anything else.

Believe It! likes this.
  6. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

There are more teams like Orlando? Phoenix? And Philly? Each team can do a sign and trade….Ayton with Phoenix …Tobias with Philly..a good GM like Morey will make it work

7. jch1911

jch1911 Member

I agree. HOWEVER, he has stated that Nurse believed in him and supported him since the beginning of his career. So all things remaining equal...

Then again PA has a state income tax and that's a LOT of $$$ to pay in income taxes ;)

EDIT: still cheaper than taxes north of the border

Mathloom likes this.
  8. Joerex Jamisola

Better than a harden signing

kjayp and Rudyc281 like this.
  9. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

People need to stop with advanced stats, but people definitely need to listen to you on the basis of "TS and FG % bad, don't get player?"

Ok.

10. Reeko

Reeko Member

makes your little attempt at a gotcha moment look like a fail when u can’t read…nice try I guess

11. Rokman

Rokman Member

I was so excited when I thought we had him wrapped up. Man that was a disappointment

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Mighty Mouse.....

Rokman and RasaqBoi like this.
  13. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Is anyone asking for FVV to be "that guy"?

If FVF is the guy leading us to the playoffs, something drastically went wrong with our rebuild

raining threes likes this.
  14. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Nice reference. Have a like.

15. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I think the poor playoff performances are a legit concern. There’s no arguing those numbers. But we are a long way away from making the playoffs and certainly a long way from being competitive in the playoffs. There’s no arguing FVV’s consistent regular season performances and that he has good career numbers. He’s capable of running the floor, playing good defense, providing a real 3pt threat, and being a leader in the locker room. I wish he was taller and a few years younger, but he’s a good basketball player, and can definitely help this team over the next 3/4 yrs. I’m fine with viable alternatives. It feels like those would have to come through trade though.

mightybosstone likes this.
  16. dmoneybangbang

I'd rather pass on FVV. We definitely don't need to solve the PG/ball handler issue in one off season.

17. mightybosstone

For the record, I'm somewhere in between on FVV. I don't want him at a four-year max, but I'd definitely bite at two years at max money or something at 3-4 years at around $30M a year. And between he and Harden, I'd prefer VanVleet even if he's not as productive because he's cheaper, younger, plays defense and is a much more malleable player.

But are we really going to sit here and bring up FVV's playoff numbers? Seriously? Two reasons that's asinine:
    1. This team isn't close to the playoffs and won't be for a hot minute. Stop it.
    2. He was only a starter for 16 of his 52 postseason games. Nearly half (24 of 52) of his postseason resume was the 2019 title team when he was backing up Lowry playing 24 minutes a night as a 24-year-old in his third season. He averaged 11 points a game in the regular season that year.

So, no, the "FVV's playoff stats are trash" is not a legitimate argument for why the Rockets shouldn't sign him. If they don't sign him, it should be because they have a different long-term vision in mind at point guard that they prefer.

18. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

FVV is perfectly suited to what we need. A veteran fringe all star who can run the offense and help with the development of the young guys.

Sign him and trade # 4, KPJ, etc. for a SF like Brown or LaVine and let that core develop over the next 4 years.

19. carl_herrera

carl_herrera Member

An explainer:

Daniel Theis
    Robert Covington
    Christian Wood
    Victor Oladipo

What do these players have in common, other than being the Rockets only significant veteran acquisitions in the last 3 years? They were all monsters in adjusted plus minus / EPM / RAPM metrics prior to the Rockets acquiring them.

Our front-office is very analytics oriented. That doesn't mean TS% or A/TO ratio. That means they value a player heavily based on the most "advanced" metrics available: some homecooked version of adjusted plus minus or RAPM that probably also includes some non-public inputs.

You know who else are really really good by these metrics?

James Harden
    Fred VanVleet
    Brook Lopez
    Dillon Brooks

All the players the Rockets are strongly rumored to be looking at this summer. You know who isn't good by these metrics?

Tyus Jones
    Bruce Brown
    Tre Jones
    Naz Reid

Players the Rockets haven't been reported to have interest in.

cdastros, jim1961, Corrosion and 2 others like this.
  20. PatBev

PatBev Member

I will probably kill myself if we give FVV a 3-4 year deal

Go get Conley’s or Dewiddie’s 20mil expiring contracts