1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Woj: Harden Return?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Htown Legend, Dec 25, 2022.

1. jch1911

jch1911 Member

UNLESS they trade Harden into a team's cap space and create a huge TPE to acquire players to work with Nurse (FVV). The problem for Philly is what assets (i.e. picks) do they have to trade.

But I am still surprised Morey didn't hire Pringles to be HC so what the heck do I know....

theDude likes this.
  2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Your posts about Harden are getting to be essay length now. I need more give me more!

Perhaps consider some art or poetry about the man??

HP3 likes this.
  3. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I thought about that, too. From what I can tell, they have nothing they can trade until 2029. Even their second rounders look locked up. So, there’s no incentive for the other team to play ball. But I probably shouldn’t underestimate Morey’s penchant for getting creative.

jch1911 likes this.
  4. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Harden set back the franchise several years with his trade demand which oh by the way was 1st years of Stone's tenure as GM. If I'm Stone I want no part of someone who put me in an impossible situation with impossible tasks.

That said, if Stone offers a hometown discounted contract, as payback, and Harden takes it then so be it.

xaos likes this.
  5. jch1911

jch1911 Member

I honestly don't think it is (entirely) up to Stone... I think TF is pulling the strings on this one. (Just like Westbrook trade.)

xaos and PolarBear like this.
  6. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

The way I see it. Had he stayed and we continued to try to win with him and our extremely bare cupboard of assets things would be worse for the franchise today. When you factor in that once he left he kept getting injured….I believe we woulda been a low end playoff team and 1st round exit these last few years.(nobody wants that when your team is mostly older guys)

Might not have left in a way most people would prefer, but him leaving when he did saved us from a few nothing years where we would have been no where close to contending or to valuable draft picks. Our chance to win it all was over once Westbrook happened. It was time to start over.

I would also add that you could argue that Harden forcing a total rebuild by his trade demand when he did actually added guaranteed years to Stones tenure as our GM. The burden to win now was removed and was replaced with the “judge me in 10 years” excuse as a GM overseeing a top to bottom rebuild.

Unrelated Fun fact for the Harden thread(impressive year to year consistency or proof he is consistently a loser bum?):

Only two players in the entire NBA have been on top 4 seeds in their conference AND made at least the 2nd round each of the last SEVEN seasons.
    James Harden and PJ Tucker

7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

He just wants the biggest check and longest deal.

8. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I can understand doubting a return of Harden if for his contract demands (whatever they may be) and his age. But even if the organization coddled him to the extreme during his tenure, well, Houston was not always first at the trough for superstars.

Harden also was a machine: seldom injured, PPG, APG. And if not for the collusion of CP3's hammy and Scott Foster, Harden would have at worst taken us to the NBA Finals.

If Harden assaulted some of y'all's sisters and it was never reported, then I apologize. Otherwise, the vitriol is a bit much.

9. Asian Sensation

Why’d you leave out turnover machine? He’s a 6 time turnover champion. It’s a record that will probably never be broken. Give credit where credit is due.

[​IMG]

10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

One day shams will learn to write english language sentences as well as a 2 generations-ago chatbot.

who sources say is believed to be seriously torn

Like what the **** am I even reading, sources say they believe he has a grade 2 tear? He enjoys the work of Rip Torn?

Like is seriously torn bro?

Get an editor. Human, clippy, whatever.

who is believed to be torn between...

who is said to be undecided about...

who is said to be struggling with the decision to..

etc.

OremLK likes this.
  12. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Harden just want the BAG, but because the new CBA rules you cannot pass a certain limit or the 2nd apron of the budget, if they sign him with the max, they will not have enough money to complete their team roster. Rockets can pay him at least 42 million. He have 60 million but Tate and KPJ contracts are setup to be cancelled quickly, so we can have 80 millions if we like. 42 million to Harden, 20 million to Lopez and 15 million to Grant Williams. I think we would still have our MLE EXCEPTION….

In the best-case scenario, the Sixers would sign Harden to a below-max contract this summer that gives them more control over the back half of the deal, similar to the four-year, $120 millioncontract that Chris Paul signed with the Phoenix Suns in July 2018. ESPN’s Brian Windhorst said on a late-May episode of Pardon the Interruption that the Sixers “have not shown the appetite to pay Harden the max,” which is “why they asked him to take a paycut last year.”

13. jasonmurray29

jasonmurray29 Member

He is not coming back.

14. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Say what you want about Harden. Between saving millions on agent commissions when it was pretty much unnecessary, and him creating leverage to get a max deal when he again underperformed in the playoffs.... The guy is a pretty savvy business minded athlete.

I think it's obvious he wants a max deal first and foremost. He positioned himself in a free agency class where he knew he would be the only all-star level talent available, and knows Houston has the cap space, and will at the very least be a team willing to openly broadcast that they are forking over a max offer so other teams don't even bother low balling.

15. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Latest news says he is torn between Houston and Philly.
    That sounds a bit more accurate than all those previous reports that made it sound like Harden to Houston was a done deal.

I still don't want him and hope the Rockets don't either.

Easy and PolarBear like this.
  16. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Shams should get a % of the new contract since he playing the leverage puppet character so well.

jim1961 and cheke64 like this.
  17. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Who would you want other than Harden?

18. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

I saw Harden in Houston yesterday...

jch1911 likes this.
  19. jch1911

jch1911 Member

I am pretty sure he keeps a place in Htown as he has lots of family, friends, & businesses in Htown.

Was he with Ime or Stone or TF? That's what inquiring minds want to know!

20. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

screw Harden, sign Chris Paul

jim1961 likes this.