1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Golf] The PGA vs LIV - Round 1 - fight!

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by DaDakota, Jun 7, 2022.

1. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

F LIV golf.....this stinks. This makes no sense unless the PGA thought they would lose in court, I dont want the Saudi`s anywhere near the PGA.................I`m gonna have to find out more but wow, just wow

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

LOL - all those CHICKENS that PECKED away at guys taking the money are getting their own pocket's lined because of the courage of others taking money.

The PGA is a TOURNAMENT ORGANIZER - nothing else - they would have lost in court - and this is better for all of golf, now the money in events will be much better for all - and thanks to those brave enough to see the future and force the PGA to adapt.

Golf gets better because of a brave few.

The LIV just made the game better, and the players make more money than ever - and the PGA just got exposed a bit, knowing that their status as a charitable org was about to be crushed......they got lazy on the fat cat play of others, and now have to bite the bullet and accept the LIV group.

It is a good day for all golfers - and people that whined like McElBaby will need to answer for his worm tonguing of the entire thing.

Good day for golf....and exactly what I figured would happen. Make no mistake LIV won, the PGA was worried about losing their status as a charitable org, and rightfully so.....Greg Norman just made a lot of players a lot more $$$.

DD

#82 DaDakota, Jun 6, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2023
    daywalker02 likes this.
  3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Yes...so courageous to take 9 figures to play a sport in what amounts to exhibitions. The bravery is just astounding.

ROCKSS, REEKO_HTOWN and Newlin like this.
  4. DaDakota

Well you can laugh and make cracks about it, but because they did it, everyone will benefit, and the players will get more control over their schedules as individual contractors.

Sometimes taking the money is the RIGHT thing to do, even when a bunch of whining ninnies can't see it.

DD

5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I'm not disagreeing with that...but calling them "courageous" and "brave" is absolute nonsense considering they're simply chasing the most money. I don't blame any of them for doing it. But it took absolutely no courage or bravery.

I do tire of the whining about not getting ranking points. Play a full 4 round tournament with a cut...or shut the f*** up.

6. Newlin

Newlin Member

Everyone likely WILL NOT benefit from this. The people that will benefit are the players at the very top of the sport. The top 50 or so players. The sport currently supports many hundreds if not thousands of players around the world. Most players probably will not benefit from this and it’s possible that the sport may lose tournaments and professional players.

It is true that the very top players will benefit from this. But, the sport is more than just 50 players.

Huge victory for the Saudis, Trump, and the LIV tour. But, I don’t support any from that group.

ROCKSS likes this.
  7. DaDakota

More will benefit as the pool will deepen.

You don't think it took courage for people to leave in the prime of their career and join another tour? Risking being in for the majors as that was undecided?

I do....and yes they got paid BECAUSE they took that risk, and in the end, they are benefiting everyone....and McIllranus will have to eat his own words, as the puppet of the PGA.

I like people who take risks for the greater good.

DD

8. Newlin

Newlin Member

Courage? No. It just shows how low some people will go for a hundred million bucks. Keep in mind most of these people were already extremely wealthy.

And they didn’t do anything “for the greater good”. Get out of here with that bullshit. They took the Saudi money for very selfish reasons.

9. DaDakota

They tried working through the PGA to get their grievances heard and were told to shut up and putt......the PGA overstepped for just being an ORG that organizes tournaments and skims the top off of tournaments to line their own pockets.

DD

10. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Somebody please tell me that part of this agreement is that douchebag Sergio Garcia has to retire and never show his face at a golf tournament ever again. Please!

ROCKSS likes this.
  11. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

If im not mistaken the players can vote not to accept this agreement...

Should be interesting too see what happens..

T_Man

12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

9/11 never happened

13. PhiSlammaJamma

This to me, sounds like the ABA just beat the NBA. Whatever this agreement is the LIV won and will slowly take over, or completely drive the machine. The endless pit of money won and deserves to win. The players win too, but they are under new ownership.

14. DaDakota

If that is a big deal than start dealing with those involved on the sly....don't bring politics into Golf.

DD

15. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Ownership is the spot on word. These players will now be under the thumb of one of the world’s worst human rights abusers with no freedom of speech all for the price of a new home in the Hamptons.

Honestly I think the FTC should take a good look at this merger and bomb it out of the sky.

ROCKSS likes this.
  16. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Seems so strange. LIV was just a huge cash burn. Since we know nothing of the actual deal, it is hard to judge, but screw the PGA for taking the money, and especially screw them if they don't make it right for those that stayed loyal.

17. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

I am still pissed about this, I really thought the PGA was taking a stand against the Saudi`s and players like Rory M were standing firm with the PGA and I was really proud of that, hell Rickie F gave up so much cash to go to LIV while struggling on the PGA tour and then out of the blue this merger happens, I was like WTF. I have utter distaste for people like Mickelson and Bryson who went and got paid the big bucks and now they get to come back as if nothing ever happened, F that. I would want the commissioner fired for this, he sold his players, sponsors and all the volunteers who help organize the tournaments to partner with the friggin Saudi`s, its blood money but hey, as long as you give enough I guess you can bare the stench

REEKO_HTOWN and Brad like this.
  18. Roxoff

Roxoff Member

I’m with DD on this, nobody should be mad at the LIV players for grabbing the generational wealth.

They should look inward at the PGA, and try to see what the players that left saw. There was an obvious issue that hopefully will be corrected & benefit the game of golf as a whole.

19. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

The PGA should pay billions of dollars to players that don't generate nearly that much in revenue?

I think paying a guaranteed check to every player in a tournament is the one good thing the PGA could do that they didn't do before.

DaDakota likes this.
  20. Newlin

Newlin Member

The only thing the defectors saw was money. I don’t blame them for leaving for a ridiculous amount of money. That’s not the issue. The issue was that they wanted to play in LIV events and also retain PGA tour membership. That was the issue.

This won’t be an issue going forward since the Saudis have basically purchased the PGA tour and the DP World tour. The PGA tour didn’t have the cash to keep up with the Saudis almost unlimited funds, so they threw in the towel and went to the dark side.

No need for the PGA tour to “look inward”. They weren’t doing anything wrong. They just weren’t able to keep up with a competitor that didn’t care about losing money and were willing to spend billions and billions with little hope of breaking even.

PGA tour players do have reasons to be upset with the PGA tour commissioner. He went behind the players backs and made a deal in secret that not all players are going to like.