1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are the Rockets even interested in Scoot?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HealthyHamstring, May 22, 2023.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Rockets didn't even bring in any credible backups though - other than Nix and TyTy who are not even replacement level NBA players. I mean Dennis schroder - accidentally acquired as a throw in, was actually decent for them but no we can't have nice things.

They're basically been wagering it all on things working out with their preferred low cost solution, and here we are.

2. SamFisher

Rockets didn't even bring in any credible backups though - other than Nix and TyTy who are not even replacement level NBA players. I mean Dennis schroder - accidentally acquired as a throw in, was actually decent for them but no we can't have nice things.

They're basically been wagering it all on Plan A an
    Yes it sends the message that the Rockets thought they had drafted better than they did.

That's why you hear things like "Daishen Nix is a high lottery level talent" being laundered through the Rockets preferred media conduits.

Absolutely they planned to not undershoot their 25 win preseason odds this year - but they managed to do so.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

There is no plan B, there hasn't needed to be until we give plan A a real look, this is year 1 on plan A.....phase 2.

They will pivot if necessary.

DD

Plowman likes this.
  4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

5. Bo6

Bo6 Member

his comments about dame and their conversations are a bit odd. maybe nothing there but it kind of sounds like Dame kept it short... potentially on purpose? When the Thompson twins spoke about it, they reacted much differently.

I don't expect Portland to keep the pick, but Scoot will 100% be drafted no later than #3.

6. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

This is a legitimate criticism, no doubt. They banked too heavily on KPJ being the answer without really knowing.

SamFisher and saleem like this.
  7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

8. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Wow, what an astute observation. IKO is an idiot.

NewAge and saleem like this.
  9. Corpusfan

Corpusfan Member

I hope if they don’t trade up for Scoot the Rockets trade down for Cason Wallace. Two-way player who brings defense, can shoot and plays hard.

NewAge and Believe It! like this.
  10. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

High on Wallace as well.

If they don't land Scoot, would rather take Walker at 4 and trade up from 20 for Cason. Both of those guys fit Udoka's style. Two way, hustling team players.

NewAge likes this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Remember this is how pre-draft felt like and when we know things because of hindsight.

The former process could be described as blindfolded tasting.

12. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

Walker at 4 is a big time stretch.

13. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Brings a load to the table.

And not just referring to his size.

Swiss army knife type.

We'll see.

14. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I know Henderson has a great wingspan. And I have him “ahead” of Amen. I think the org is projecting someone who makes it work with Jalen and an offensive oriented SF. Maybe even Porter there at some point.

Would I give Portland a lightly protected 1st and Martin to secure Henderson? Probably.

Are there issues in a Scoot/Green backcourt? Yes.

Amen does a lot for Senhub even with shooting issues. Guards the best perimeter player, gets out on the break. Im just projecting obviously.

I personally would take Whitmore over Thompson and Henderson.

15. OremLK

OremLK Member

The Scoot/Green fit seems like it depends on Green's defensive development. Green is tall enough to guard wings (especially if you believe him about being 6'6" now). Just a matter of whether he can fully engage at 100% effort and stay solid on his defensive reads.

Similarly, the Amen/Sengun fit on offense depends on whether one or both of them learns to be decent outside shooters.

16. Bo6

Bo6 Member

I disagree with this statement. I think the fit depends if you can put Amen in an "Aaron Gordon" type role. If Amen can play off-ball then the fit could be phenomenal. You just need the other 3 on the floor to be great shooters. *Cough Jabari Cough*.

I do believe Sengun can become a reliable 3 point threat to at least keep the defense honest. He has shown enough to make me think throwing up 20,000 threes in the off-season will help in that regard.

17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

18. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Im not going to put it all on the players they drafted but I agree that the Rockets didn’t expect to be THAT bad. There are credible reports that say they wanted to fire Silas during the season because of how bad he was. There were also reports saying the plan was for Silas to get a chance with the team this year as they moved into “phase 2” but the team had been so horrific under his leadership they went ahead and parted ways.

That should let people know that the level of assery was below what was expected.

19. carl_herrera

carl_herrera Member

Agree with you on Amen/Sengun, and I wouldn’t avoid Scoot just because of defensive fit… but Jalen will never be guarding wings.

Maaaybe he’s 6’4.5 barefoot, 6’5.5 in shoes and can be listed at 6’6. But he doesn’t even weigh 190 lbs. He’s got a slender frame, small hands, and not a great wingspan. He is position locked as a guard defender.

Defensively, the hope is Jalen can get to good on-ball and chasing around screens because of his lateral quickness and ability to get skinny. Wing defense will have to come from other positions.

OremLK likes this.
  20. SamFisher

Captain obvious - why wouldn't charlotte just do this as well? Or, I know, crazy, but actually keep the guy who a lot of people think is the second best player in the draft?

Predraft galaxy braining about smokescreens and intricate 4D chess games is fun to talk about, but it doesn't always align with reality. The post-hoc reporting last year todl the story that Orlando drafted Banchero last year because they decided - late in the process - that he was the best player, not as part of some elaborate psychological operation on Houston, and they happened to be right

I don't see why the Hornets or Blazers wouldn't just draft scoot at 2 or 3, considering that - tittering chittering hordes of melodramatic draft big board purveyors and online detractors aside - he is considred to be the very best non victor player or close to it by a huge number of influential people - and it's useful to have that kind of player on your team, regardless of perceived fit.