1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Nov 2, 2019.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Did they make Mary Jane into Marky Jane?

2. tinman

Supporting Member

Hope he’s still Peter Parker not Sarah Jessica Parker
    @Xerobull

Jontro likes this.
  3. tinman

Supporting Member

@Jontro
    I identify as blek

Jontro likes this.
  4. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Miles wears a BLM badge on.
    One of the Spideys is handicap.

Punk Spider-Man ***** on capitalism and fascists.

dmoneybangbang, MadMax and Jontro like this.
  5. Jontro

Jontro Member

need a spidey with purple hair gluing himself to the road

robbie380 and tinman like this.
  6. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

It was there.

Jontro likes this.
  7. tinman

Supporting Member

Is Peter Parker now Sarah Jessica Parker ?

8. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

Yep. In one of the universes.

[​IMG]

9. tinman

Supporting Member

I trust @Xerobull for the reviews

10. dmoneybangbang

A+ for me....

The rare type of movie that just hits on every level...... the animation, sound, and storytelling just works all together to produce a highly enjoyable film that manages to hit all the worn out super hero tropes in a convincing way that made you feel the stakes of the various characters. First 15 minutes really set the stage for the world building.

Like seriously..... the animation and sound are elite.

11. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

They knocked it out the park. 10/10

12. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Movie was pretty good. It had many deep messages for different ages and culture perspectives. The graphics were trippy, had to look around to make sure I didn't need 3d glasses. Everyone laughed in shocked when it ended

13. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I believe the 3rd one is nearly finished, scheduled to come out next year.... A third film, Spider-Man: Beyond the Spider-Verse, is scheduled to be released on March 29, 2024

mikol13 and JumpMan like this.
  14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I loved it.
    I like the 1st one better
    but this is a 1 and 1a situation

Rocket River

15. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

The animation did it for me too. I really liked the first one, it kind of encapsulates comic book vibes. This one was a definite progression on that, the animation and artwork are astounding. It's really well done.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  16. TimDuncanDonaut

17. dmoneybangbang

18. VanityHalfBlack

Think the last spider man movie I saw was spider man 2 with Tobey maguire and Kirsten Dunst. This one is anime? What happen to live action?

19. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

It’s animated and set in a different universe.

Live action still going on.

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  20. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Traditional hand drawn animation was usually done "on the twos" which meant that they animated 12 of the 24 frames per second. It emphasized movement and animation and its what gives classic Disney movies their distinctive animation quality. With the advent of computer animation, many animators and animated movies moved to "on the ones", which means all 24 frames per second are animated. It is what gives a smoother, crisper animated look...think Pixar and recent Disney movies like Moana and Encanto.

The animators for these Spiderman movies decided to MIX the animation. In some scenes characters are animated on the ones to give it a more Pixar-like quality and detail. In other scenes, they animated on the twos (which is actually more difficult with computer animation). They did this to give the distinctive comic book like appearance in movement...emphasize action for big "frames" to copy the feel of a comic book frame. A big "POW" punch with a little pause animated "on the twos" makes the viewer think about a comic book...then Miles smoothly swinging away "on the ones" makes the viewer grasp the athleticism, smoothness, and fluidity of a Spiderman swinging on his webs.

Additionally, they mixed characters. Some characters are always animated on the twos vs some characters always animated on the ones. Combined with differing and distinct animation styles and art styles for each character, it led to quite the visual masterpiece.

The other art decision they made was to remove motion blur in the entire movie. Any "blur" was the result of actually animating "blur lines"...drawn in phasing of the background, etc...not actual motion blur. Every frame of every shot is picture perfect. In your movie viewing experience, your eyes have been trained to see motion blur through a camera lense. In live action movies, when Indiana Jones punches a Nazi, his fist blurs through the shot as his fist moves faster than the 24 frames per second can pick up. Your mind is now trained to see motion blur on screens as "normal". One of the reason stop-motion animation always has a slightly eerie feel is that unless you use CGI or actually build motion blurred puppets, every frame is perfect. Its actually a limitation of stop-motion animation. It feels disconnected from the rest of the film because there is no motion blur, its like watching 48FPS video. Spiderman Spiderverse animation made the creative choice to remove motion blur to give it a more other-worldly and comic-booky feel, almost stop-motion-y. You aren't watching an animated representation of "real" people with added motion blur like watching a live action movie, you're watching an animated comic book...and its supposed to feel different.