1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you sign Fred VanVleet to a 3-year max contract?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OremLK, Jun 3, 2023.

?

FVV for 3 years, $129M. Yes or no?

1. Yes, go for it, he's the veteran leader we need.

29 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. No way, too much money.

97 vote(s)
    66.9%
  3. Depends on the draft/Harden/etc.

19 vote(s)
    13.1%
  1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

It's really tough to project right now because also all the players below max and above ntmle are going to get squeezed downward but we don't know by how much.

2. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

I'd sign him over Harden no doubt. Not sure about the max, but also not sure he's going to demand that amount. Depends on market value.

theDude likes this.
  3. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

People are mocking the idea of brining harden or fvv in , but the kpj and green pairing grew a total of 2 wins their second year .

idk how ppl think doing the same thing is gonna produce better results

yes we have a new coach , yes those guys are young and should be on the upswing .

if the best we bring in is some bench veteran and kpj and green don’t have any competition for their starting roles do we really think they are gonna play that much smarter and harder ?

I would bring in the best 2 guards available and say , oh you guys wanna play 30+ minutes again ?? Earn it !

think of our young guys…
    Sengun and tari had to earn minutes and they are the two that fans generally feel the best about . Those are the guys who are showing they can play .

Jabari got gifted mins , but at least Jabari came in with a defensive mindset and competed on that end .

yes I would sign FVV to 3 years max

fattz, clutchdabear and Nook like this.
  4. rhino17

rhino17 Member

If they can't/don't get Harden, he is the next best available option. I'd be totally good with it.

clutchdabear likes this.
  5. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

I've generally have been against the idea of FVV, unless he came at a discount (or possibly 1+1 deal or something like that). I'm scoffing at Harden at max money, but I'd rather give him a max vs FVV (especially since they're not *hugely* different salaries).

I think it was Mark Schindler who threw out FVV as a good fit for the Rockets, and since then, I've tried to rethink the possibility. I'm not in love with giving max money, even if it was for 3 years instead of 4. But if the Rockets strike out with other options....I might think about it. Though I'm guessing they'd possibly have to target FVV with this deal ASAP or he might take a different offer, which does worry me.

So basically I'm saying I don't know. Probably lean no though. But I could be sold on the idea.

fattz and OremLK like this.
  6. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

3 100m is reasonable for this market. I don't think the Rockets will do anything flashy this off-season. If the plan is to add vets that help our players grow I wouldn't be surprised with a Van Vleet/Grant Williams/Lopez type of summer. This type of team wouldn't scare anyone but it would be a vast improvement on last year's roster.

I guess it will come down to the market. Who else out there is willing to pay him close to max money? I don't think any team will. If we sign him I'm hoping for a 2 year deal around $60.

7. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

This thread is about FVV and that's who I say no to.

I gave no opinion on Harden.

I was one of the early people to mention FVV but that was during the season and as the year went on, he was not very good .... since then I've gone sour on the idea of adding him at all, much less at a max contract.

There are other options to FVV.

raining threes and snowconeman22 like this.
  8. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I want Desmond bane . But he isn’t a pg nor is he a FA lol

FVV is a risk because he’s had a down year and is a smaller player and is not a spring chicken .

if he looks healthy I think it’s prolly worth the risk . I think for harden we have to go 4 years . Getting FVV may be doable on 3

9. OremLK

OremLK Member

I would like him a lot on the right contract. I don't think what he brings is that different from a CP3 return tour (which most on the board seem onboard with as an idea), or trading for a guy like Mike Conley. The issue is whether it's an overpay that destroys our cap flexibility, which is why I made this thread. Just like to take the temperature, so to speak.

10. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I think FVV will get a 4-yr offer and will take a 4-yr deal. This is his last big contract; I would think he’d like the security and a chance to really put some roots down somewhere. I don’t think he’ll get max money offers, but he’ll have choices at 4-yr $120.

11. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

25 M a Yr for two years plus incentives on defense, shooting.

12. raining threes

Give me Reaves, Vincent or Caruso at a cheaper price. What do y'all think about trading for Pritchard?

xtruroyaltyx likes this.
  13. fattz

fattz Member

VanVleet, Green and Porter => Christopher & Washington. If all is fair & everyone given a chance. Sadly Green is odd man out because of contract vs expectation vs on court play.

Signing FVV would kill Green’s long term trade value. Basically if we sign FVV we should move Green quickly after to get the most return.

14. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

We need more than one player this summer from free agency. I’m not big on harden or Fred van . Rather Cam Johnson and Reed from minnesota

15. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

We need more than one player this summer from free agency. I’m not big on harden or Fred van . Rather Cam Johnson and Reed from minnesota
    Stupidest post I read.

Mathloom and peleincubus like this.
  16. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

there are better options... but if all other options fall through - u do what u gotta do...

id rather give the money to Van Fleet than that narcissistic asshat Hard-on... Hard-on is the better player - but i have a much higher level of confidence in VF to stay 'engaged' than Hard-on not pulling the ripcord and enjoying retirement early...

#36 kjayp, Jun 4, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2023
  17. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Fred VanVleet wouldn't sign Fred VanVleet to a 3 yr. max contract.

18. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He's the third best PG available behind Harden and Kyrie and he has a championship pedigree. I think he's going to get the max. Orlando might be able to clear enough space to do it.

snowconeman22 and Believe It! like this.
  19. fattz

fattz Member

Both FV and Porter are better then Green. So you want to pay 9.9 then 12.5 for a backup that disappointed as our franchise player. Will this help his trade value? When one starts to acknowledging players for who they are vs where they where drafted things aren’t near as stupid.

20. JW86

JW86 Member

If it means no Harden then yes.

theDude likes this.