1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

All of Amen Thompson’s makes and misses from 3 at OTE

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Reeko, Jun 2, 2023.

1. mightybosstone

Weird. It's almost like there was another thread about this very topic posted from the same poster today. Do fans really think we haven't heard the criticism of Thompson's jumper a million times since the second the Rockets got the 4th pick on lottery night? Do they think they're going to miraculously change minds by copying and pasting the same argument until the CTRL button on their keyboard breaks?

We get it. His shot is bad. You're not telling anyone anything we didn't already know. Those of us who like Thompson's game and still want the Rockets to draft him aren't going to change our minds because you posted the 50th thread on the topic this week. Let it go. After June 22, it's not going to matter, regardless of what any of us thinks.

2. Rokman

Rokman Member

Agreed, at least he played in a real league over in Spain and proved his game with legit competition.

3. Rokman

Rokman Member

Agreed, at least he played in a real league over in Spain and proved his game with legit competition.

4. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

This is true. We know that Amen cannot shoot now, but his athleticism, elite 1st shot, length, play making and feel for the game is sufficient for us. He know that if he become a average 3 point shooter he could be a good player. He is a pass 1st point guard, who can get pass most defenders in the league. He gets to the free throw line a lot so he need to work on his free throw percentage, not 3 point percentages.He know his game translates to the NBA because he competed with players oversea last year and former NBA players in tournaments. Every time, he feels the box score up. I do not mind to sign Harden so we can give Amen a chance to adapt a new shot and we are getting Ben Sullivan a shooting coach from the Celtics and Bucks, who helped Derrick White and Giannis to improve their shooting.

5. Rolliepollie

Rolliepollie Member

Great post. Love it. Made me lol. Everybody here is so damn serious all the time including myself, nice to see a funny post every once in a while. I mean, yes your post is nonstop smart ass-ish, but that's why I love it. I'm the same way in my real life to people. Maybe that's why I have no friends and divorced lol, but my kid loves me that's all I need

mightybosstone likes this.
  6. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Every game he played overseas and tournaments with professional players, he does on thing….WE FILL THE BOX SCORE

7. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Is that why Giannis shot .275 and .293 from 3 the past two seasons? Because his shot was fixed?

Verbal Christ and roslolian like this.
  8. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Is that why Giannis shot .275 this year and .293 last year from 3 point range? Because his shot was fixed?

xtruroyaltyx likes this.
  9. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

There is a difference guys. Giannis didn't work as hard as Amen has in the past few years. Hence Giannis only became MVP, but Amen's shot didn't get better playing 'pro' without high school constraints. Had Giannis trained hard like Amen, I am sure he would become an elite shooter (or perhaps Bucks didn't have a shooting coach as good as Ben Sullivan). Regardless, believe me, Amen's jump shooting literally cannot go t*** up. Believe me and the twitter post and Youtube videos! Better than Giannis, did you hear! Better faster, bigger, more explosive, OTE best pro league.

10. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I just don’t see the Rockets drafting this guy.

Just like other playmaking non shooters, I believe their is a cap on their viability.

Westbrook, Ben Simmons….I’m not sure how fox and Ja do in the mid range, but I think teams built around them will continue to struggle in the playoffs when teams can really hone in on weaknesses.

Rockets have enough questionable shooters. If you throw a guy out there who would be doing great just to shoot 30% from three you can kiss any hopes of spacing goodbye. And NBA defenders are just going to sag way off of him. They aren’t going to play slow and dumb like OTE elite defenders.

That athleticism isn’t going to mean much when the paint is packed because they know he can’t shoot.

Rockets need to stay far far away from this guy.
    As great as these athletic playmakers are who struggle to shoot, that one issue for that archetype has just been too problematic to overcome.

11. Reeko

Reeko Member

a guard who shoots like Tristan Thompson scares the hell outta me

Tristan’s form in that clip honestly looks better than Amen’s :(

maj21 likes this.
  12. roslolian

roslolian Member

Miller can also defend and at 6'9 is even bigger than the Twins.

Y'all are acting like Amen Thompson is a 6'7 Glove lol Miller is a much better defender than Amen the tape bears that out. Bro gets caught ball watching teenagers man cmon.

13. roslolian

roslolian Member

I would prefer grabbing Taylor Hendrix or Ausar Thompson at 6 and then either Anthony Black or Cason Wallace at 11. Wallace isn't a big guard but he is a pretty good shooter and arguably the best perimeter defender in the class.

#173 roslolian, Jun 3, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2023
  14. Reeko

Reeko Member

Fox is very good from midrange and has an elite floater game…Ja has a nice floater and is passable from midrange…neither is all that great from the free throw line tho shooting close to the mid-70’s for their career

I feel worse about Amen compared to a Fox or Ja because his shot legit looks broken and busted

xtruroyaltyx likes this.
  15. TimDuncanDonaut

Ooof that video was rough.

Watched the whole video and even replayed certain parts. Originally had some notes writtn on the shooting form and hot spots, but got tired and a little depressed.... as the lazy org approach will just be Rockets taking whomever is left at 4....

... closed the computer and went out for food instead.

pippendagimp and Noob Cake like this.
  16. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

I feel better about him watching Champboy’s video. Maybe with work on his mechanics and lots of practice he can become serviceable from 3. The rest of his game looks amazing.

17. Bo6

Bo6 Member