1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can Sengun become Jokic?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hlmbasketball, Jun 2, 2023.

1. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I think Jokic is more than an inch taller than Sengun. Also, his arms are at least 2 - 3 inches longer too.

Sengun is quicker and he can jump higher but Jokic size is what separates the two.

I am curious to see how effective he is under Udoka both defensively and offensively.

2. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

Dude, I've seen clips of them on the court together where Joker looks MUCH taller than Alpe.
    And some are AFTER the game where they're just standing and talking where it's easier to judge height.
    Even in the picture YOU posted if you look at where their shoulders are it looks like Joker's are 2-3'' taller than Alpe's, which is what matters when figuring standing reach!
    Maybe Alpe's he's got a little "Davis Mills" thing going on.

You don't have to sell me on Alpe, I'm a BIG Sengoon fan!
    On my Rockets keeper list it's Jalen THEN Alpe!
    With Bari/Tari or Tari/Bari next!
    It's just that I try to be realistic about Alpe.
    Alpe's quicker but Jokers longer.
    And not by just 1''!
    But I trust Alpe to maximize his positives and minimize his negatives as much as is possible over the coming years.

Dobbizzle and Arnel like this.
  3. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Larry Brown says Iverson could have been better than Jordan. He wasn’t, but the end result wasn’t too bad.

4. invocux

invocux Member

Probably not but i have no doubt in my mind that he will be better than Sabonis.

Dobbizzle, Arnel, Mathloom and 2 others like this.
  5. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

DAVIS MILLS THING! Hahahaha

harold bingo likes this.
  6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Jokic looks bigger partly because he is just heavier/bulkier. They are listed at the same height, but I think Jokic is an inch taller.

7. Spoolxx

Spoolxx Member

Sengun is more comparable to Sabonis, which isn't a bad thing.

8. OremLK

OremLK Member

Here's a weird one--I actually feel like Sengun is closer in size, physical type, athleticism, and certain parts of his offensive game to Larry Bird. I know they're trying to list him at 6'11" now, but I just don't see it. He still looks 6'9" to me. A much skinnier 6'9" too--at least for now, he is nowhere near the space-gobbling brick wall that Jokic is. Alpi is more fluid, quicker, and has more hops than Jokic too, which is also more Bird-like.

Now, where this comparison breaks down is that Bird was, of course, a legendary jump shooter (which Alpi will never be, just have to hope he can hit some open set shots), and an excellent defensive player mostly through his IQ (which you could see Alpi developing into but he is not even close right now).

Anyway, I feel like something like a cross between Sabonis and Bird would be a good outcome for Sengun to aim for.

9. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

How about Magic Johnson? Flamboyant, 6'9, didn't have a 3-point shot.

Zen Tabak and OremLK like this.
  10. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Has anyone become "the next Hakeem Olajuwon" in 30 years?

Jokic is a generational anomaly, it's unreasonable to even discuss other players to become an incredibly specific all-world player, rather than a certain % of them, maybe.

Arnel and dmoneybangbang like this.
  11. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Sengun doesn't have to b the next jokic. He has his own unique talents and skillset that can make him standout.

I truly believe that sengun has the talent to become great doing his own thing, he does need to expand his range.

Few years from now we might b wondering if anyone can b the next sengun.

Man Is crafty, intelligent, competitive and has dem post moves/play making ability.

Can't say for sure if he will ever win it all since its such a crapshoot, but I will b enjoying watching how his career plays out

12. H. Christopher

Did @DaDakota just compare Sengun to Scola? o_O

Arnel, cml750, DreamShook and 4 others like this.
  13. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

He's done it many times, completely tone deaf.

Doesn't matter if you point out to him that Sengun dunked more last season than Scola in his entire career, that Sengun has already done passes Scola couldn't even dream of...he'll just repeat the same nonsense, over and over again.

DD: Volume shooter, low percentage.

(And I love Scola.)

Dobbizzle, cml750, Zen Tabak and 2 others like this.
  14. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Very well said. This will happen.

cml750 likes this.
  15. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I put it out there because fans call him a Baby Jokic. Although, there are some similarities personally, I don't see it. I see more Sabonis

Hakeem was AWESOME! 6'9 but was the best center for a long time. There will never be another Dream

Dream could have been a 3, 4 or 5. He was crazy athletic, could hit a 3, could guard 1 - 5, he was sick

16. dmoneybangbang

Just stop with all this...... Jokic might end up being one of the best big men ever with the consistent, high level play he has shown and will continue to show.

At this point, we are just hoping a majority of ours guys are competent role players on a winning team. Sengun is certainly tantalizing, but he's still very much an unknown in the grander scheme of things.

34to11 likes this.
  17. OremLK

OremLK Member

I think if you got Luis Scola with the 16th pick in the draft you'd still have to be happy with that? Scola was a very good starter at his peak, not quite all-star level, but not too far off when you factor in the lower scoring environment of his time. Alpi last year did have pretty similar per 100 possessions numbers to a peak, 2008 through 2011 Scola.

The issue with saying Scola is his ceiling is that Sengun is still one of the youngest players in the league and it's clear he has more room to improve. It's more just a question of how much room he has left to grow as a player. Clearly ATW thinks the sky is the limit. I'm personally a little more moderate, I think something moderately better than Sabonis but clearly below Jokic is likely.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

It ain’t just fans high on him.

Udoka: Sengun like a mini-Jokic

Can the 41st pick (& 2015) Jokic become a 2x (nearly 3x) MVP, top 3 player, and on the verge of a championship?

“LOL No.”
    “LOL Stop.”
    “You’re crazy.”
    “He will never be MVP.”
    “He might be good one day but he’ll never lead us to a title.”

[​IMG]

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

NBA Comparison: Nikola Vucivic

Strengths: Very high basketball IQ, This is his greatest strength. Strong personality. A team player. Has a great work ethic … Tremendous length … Can really shoot the ball … Hard worker … He was first introduced to real professional training – strength and conditioning as well as basketball workouts in September of 2013 and has shown tremendous improvement in his body … Possesses a big wingpan … Considering the fact that he competes in the Adriatic league, where most players are older than he is, and also that he’s an average athlete, he uses his basketball IQ to succeed… Nikola understands the game really well. Furthermore he is able to follow and execute coach’s instructions. Shows a winning attitude, competes hard in games and practices … A self starter, doesn’t need to constantly be pushed to get the most of his abilties … Well liked by teammates, outgoing, strong character, doesn’t drink or smoke … Young player, born in February of 1995 …

Weaknesses: An average athlete lacking great speed and leaping ability … Foot speed is a big liability. He may struggle to stay in front of NBA athletes at the center position … Needs to improve as a post player, gain strength and develop a repertoire of back to the basket moves … Defense is a real weakness at this point due to lack of lateral speed and lack of strength. His length is a big plus, but he’ll need to continue to work on becoming stronger and learn to anticipate in order to overcome his lack of quickness … Despite being a younger guy, his upside appears limited by his lack of explosiveness and foot speed … — NBA Draft Net

Nikola Jokic entered the NBA draft discussion on the heels of a strong season for Mega Vizura of the Adriatic League and impressive exploits during his week at the Nike Hoop Summit.

A skilled big man with great awareness and length, the Serbian is appealing as a potential addition to the frontcourt. With great footwork and vision, he makes crafty plays with the ball in his hands.

Jokic's upside isn't too spectacular because he's a below-average athlete, so he'll have to focus on utilizing his skill set and operating as an efficient shooter and passer within a system.

A 6'11" stature may not seem outstanding, but Jokic owns an expansive 7'3" wingspan and a lofty 9'3" standing reach, per DraftExpress.

Those measurements will help him contest shots, collect weak-side boards and shoot over opponents. He'll also make clean passes over and around defenders.

The big downside, though, is his athleticism. He doesn't get much lift off the floor at all, and he doesn't have the speed burst to drive past opponents or stay in front of them laterally.

It's going to give him major problems on defense and limit him to being a role player on offense.

CORE STRENGTHS

Instincts/Basketball IQ

Jokic always seems to have a sharp sense of his surroundings. He has a great feel for when plays are developing and knows where his teammates are in relation to the defense.

Consequently, he's able to make some superb plays as a passer and convert easy buckets as a cutter.

In the NBA, he'll be able to work seamlessly with his teammates when it comes to executing the offense. Whether he's on the low post, high post or wing, he'll catch and quickly make a play.

There are several unathletic big men who enhance their team's offense by playing with great footwork and smarts. Forwards such as Boris Diaw and Pero Antic are good comparisons for Jokic.

As a second-tier prospect, he may not be expected to produce much, but you can't underestimate a player with good instincts and intelligence.

Shooting/Scoring Touch
    Jokic had shown some glimpses of outside shooting during his Adriatic League season, but he shot just 22 percent from behind the international line in 2013-14.

However, his smooth, accurate tosses at the Hoop Summit didn't go unnoticed, as he looked like a potential stretch big. His high release should serve him well in spot-up opportunities.

He also has a nice touch from mid-range and near the hoop. He can hit turnarounds from 10-15 feet as well as short hooks and flip shots.

When he gets near the basket, he doesn't elevate high but uses his footwork and soft hands to quickly drop the ball off the glass and in. Don't expect a ton of isolation scoring from Jokic, but when he catches the rock in the flow of the offense, he'll use angles to finish efficiently.

WEAKNESSES/CONCERNS
    Jokic's weaknesses revolve around his bottom-tier athleticism. While he moves his feet pretty well from point A to point B, he lacks the quickness and vertical agility that the rest of the league owns.

These deficiencies will be most glaring on the defensive side, where he'll struggle to keep up with NBA-caliber speed. Whether he's guarding power forwards or centers, he'll have trouble staying in front of them or consistently protecting the rim. He also won't be as effective on the boards as he is in the Adriatic League.

The slow-footed tendencies will also hurt his chances to create offense. Even on closeout drives, his slashing will get corralled pretty easily by help defenders, and he won't be able to elevate over upper-echelon defenders.

In addition, he should speed up his shooting delivery in order to maximize his spot-up chances.

NBA PROJECTION

Immediate Projection
    A high IQ and great length might be enough to earn Jokic some minutes early in his career, but he won't provide enough defense or scoring firepower to gain a substantial role.

It will take time for him to prove he can compensate for his underwhelming athleticism and compete with NBA bigs for long stretches.

Long-Term Projection
    As previously mentioned, unathletic players can survive in the NBA and even earn prominent roles.

If Jokic can deliver accurate shooting and make the right plays when the ball is in his hands, he could be a poor-man's Diaw and a long-range threat like Antic. Jokic would probably be the fourth or fifth scoring option when he's in the game, but all that matters is whether he plays efficiently.

Unfortunately, his defense will likely prevent him from ever playing 30-plus minutes or starting. However, there's no shame in being a respectable reserve on a winning team in the future. — BR

Nikola Jokic, Center, Serbia/Mega Vizura

Jokic might have been the most skilled big man at the Hoop Summit when you consider his outside shooting, but his complete lack of strength and explosion really limit his NBA future. The 19 year old was reportedly very solid in the first two practices, and he showed flashes of that later in the week. He is deadly in the post when he gets a smaller player switched onto him, and is an excellent shooter out to the FIBA arc, even on pick and pops.

But it really is hard to see him surviving on the interior in the NBA. Although he somehow weighed in at 253 lbs, he sure doesn’t look it. He is thin, but also has zero muscle definition and can’t jump at all. At 6’11 with a 9’3 standing reach, he still is barely able to dunk even when wide open. And challenging shots is not his forte either; for comparison, look how much higher Towns gets on this dunk despite their similar standing reaches.

Jokic was also totally overmatched in post defense against Jahlil Okafor during the game.

Perhaps this sounds harsh, but Jokic is being talked up as an NBA prospect and it is hard to see how he gets there unless he can really improve his athleticism. Given how his body looks, that does not seem to be in the offing even if he does hit the weights. — Link

[​IMG]

20. clos4life

clos4life Member

I think Sengun is going to be a hybrid between Jokic and Sabonis. Where Jokic is a bit bigger, stronger and has a better shot at his age, Sengun has better athleticism and mobility while he has comparable stats as a rookie that was hated under Silas. While he may not achieve all that Jokic has already achieved, I believe he is going to be better than Sabonis. If he achieves full potential he may even be pretty darn close to the player Jokic is. All star player is within range, maybe not quite MVP.

theDude, Dobbizzle, Mathloom and 6 others like this.