1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ukraine

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Nov 25, 2018.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

My guess is more than anything the West fears creating a situation that would be more like Germany after WW1 than Germany after WW2.

Russia is too big and has too many people to just be outcast by the civilized world. If Russia is totally defeated it could lead to even more extreme factions taking over while the country slides into poverty, and there are mass migrations south. The rest of the world also wants to do business with Russia for energy reasons of course. The incentives are far too high to have Russia back joining the normal civilized world and the risks are too great to totally annihilate them.

2. dobro1229

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

fine. here's where the article first appeared: Russia Matters, a publication of the Kennedy School of Government at Harvard.

Why Putin Will Use Nuclear Weapons in Ukraine

https://www.russiamatters.org/analysis/why-putin-will-use-nuclear-weapons-ukraine

you folks are so convinced I am the antichrist you are convinced anything I post has got to be wrong or evil or misguided in some way. Get over yourselves.

4. Buck Turgidson

NO. Simmer down, nobody gives a **** about you personally.

You post some good stuff, you post some ridiculous stuff, and people make fun of you for it. That's it. Quit the "oh woah is me" routine.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  5. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

that wasn’t a woah is me routine. If I do a woah is me routine, you’ll know it ;)

6. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Shoe is on the other foot ...

Ottomaton likes this.
  7. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Kursk is around 90 kilometers from the Ukrainian border.

8. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

also site of the largest tank battle in history.

B-Bob, Ottomaton and No Worries like this.
  9. Buck Turgidson

Why hasn't there been a great movie made about the Battle of Kursk?

B-Bob and mdrowe00 like this.
  10. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Serious overestimation going on here. You've made a habit of of posting a bunch of weak troll **** and people respond to you accordingly.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Putin won't be able to use Nukes, if he gave that order he would be taken down immediately by his own generals - he is teetering on the edge of his life, the Ukraine will be his undoing, just like all dictators who surround themselves with yes men - they get delusional and lose their minds.

Putin is done....just a matter of time.

DD

mdrowe00 likes this.
  12. basso

Supporting Member

there was a Russian movie about Stalingrad from about ten years ago that was well received (I've not seen it). in the current environment, it's difficult to imagine a movie about Kursk getting made.

13. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I tend to agree with this. However, I think even Putin knows he can’t use them.

14. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

...yep.

...more than enough people have seen Dr. Strangelove by now to know that if Vlad is really nuts enough to order something like that...

...(which he isn't, I don't think...worse comes to worst, he's taking as much cash as he can and hiding out somewhere in South America like all the other Nazis did)...

...that the only person riding that rocket would be him...;)

#12574 mdrowe00, Jun 2, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2023
    FranchiseBlade likes this.
  15. dobro1229

Lol. There’s nothing extraordinary about your online obsessions bud. Don’t get too excited. All it takes is someone obviously having way too much time on their hands to get into the art of online trolling for a hobby.

If that’s what gets your rocks off more power to you dude. But it is what you do for more of an obsession than a hobby and you sure aren’t alone in that arena.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  16. dobro1229

I think it’s more a matter of him knowing how good the patriot and other missile defense systems are. He knows it’s unlikely the missile never makes it to its target and the radioactive fallout ends up all over Russia due to the way the wind patterns are in Eastern Europe.

Right now it’s only Ukrainian missile defense systems taking down Russian missiles and drones. The US knows (or better damn know) where every Russian nuke is and will know within seconds of a launch. It wouldn’t just be Ukrainian missile defense systems engaging at that point it would be NATO or the US immediately blowing that bomb up in the air… likely over Russia or in the middle of the Sea.

Then it’s blasted on the media all over the world that Putin launched a nuke… and failed… and the entirety of Europe will have to deal with radioactive crap in the sky that they blame Putin for and will want their country to go to war immediately or nuke Moscow in retaliation.

Putin using a nuke isn’t entirely out of the question but it would be incredibly stupid and would make his existence that much shorter and he’d risk his own family being put in danger for no reason.

17. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My understanding is that if Putin were to use a nuke is that there would be a massive conventional retaliation from NATO forces in Russian forces.

18. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Even if NATO responds with a massive conventional attack Putin could invoke Russians defense policy and use more nukes to defend Russia. At that point we could see the end of civilization.

I think this possibility that nukes could spill way out of control is probably what the main check on Putin within Russia and from Xi and others.

19. basso

Supporting Member

20. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member