1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can Sengun become Jokic?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hlmbasketball, Jun 2, 2023.

1. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I must admit, I have my doubts. Only because he's shorter and isn't as proficient from the 3pt line. Those two deficiencies seem minor but they are not.

Both Sengun and Jokic are not fleet of foot, so what helps Jokic is his size. Especially on the defensive and rebounding end. Also, Jokic ability from 3pt range helps spread the court for others.

Watching Denver, you see the similarities but also, you see how far apart they are, as well.

DrNuegebauer likes this.
  2. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

The obvious difference is shooting, with Jokic being streets ahead. But this is something Sengun could work on.

The other obvious difference is size. Jokic is a lot longer, and this helps him compensate defensively. Sengun can't just grow - so will have to learn to shuffle his puppies more in order to make that contribution.

Sengun is still pretty young!!

3. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

There won't be another Jokic for a long time. But Sengun doesn't need to be Jokic to be a great player.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No, not even close, but he could still be good if he finds a way to overcome his physical shortcomings

5. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Sengun will never have the height or bulk that Jokic has, but I wouldn't count him out in terms of the 3pt shot and court vision in the future. Also, they do play different positions. Sengun is a pure power forward as far as I'm concerned, and he does have surprising ups to the point where we get him posterizing fools around once every 2-3 games. That's a facet of his game that he could actually surpass Jokic. It's all about the roster building. On defense, Jokic has an entire team tailored to account of his lack of any amount of lateral quickness. Sengun actually can hang with some guys on the perimeter and on switches; you just really really never want him playing drop coverage, as Udoka famously pointed out. It's going to be the job of the front office to identify guys that can make up for his defense, and the job of the coaching staff to institute a defensive system where Sengun can't be abused.

Denver is showing us firsthand that a.) you can win it all with a player with Jokic's defensive deficiencies; and b.) it really does pay not to take shortcuts and to just have your team grow organically, adding pieces incrementally year by year but having your core players stick together for 5+ years as their chemistry reaches unstoppable levels.

6. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

I think he's more likely to be somewhere inbetween Jokic and Sabonis in style, probably with more of a throwback game than both. If I try and imagine a fully developed Sengun, if we assume he develops in an ideal situation, I still think his scoring comes more in the post than anywhere else, and few will have a chance at defending him. I don't think we're talking Dream levels but he may well be as effective with a lower skill level because he's not playing in the 90's with tons of post defending all-time big men. I think he'll pass a lot like Jokic, and I wouldn't be shocked if he totals many triple doubles over his years. I think he'll become a decent shooter outside to keep defenders honest, but I still think you're looking at more of an inside out game in terms of his positioning. I think often his scoring gets overlooked for his passing (probably because Jokic's a 2 time MVP and people want him to replicate that success/archetype) and I think it's actually his most elite skill (for reference, remember when he did some training with Dream and killed people over and over with the drop step spin? How many of the stars you've heard of working with Dream translated the lessons that quickly and effectively?) Jokic actually plays a lot on the outside, I see Sengun as a dominant inside scorer in his prime, especially if he gets enough range to open up the floor a little. I don't think he'll be Jokic, I think he'll be Sengun, dominating inside and pulling jaw dropping assists out of thin air, many coming from his inside positioning rather than playing like a massive point guard. Considering what our other youngsters could project to be, I'm 100% cool with that.

7. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

No. When you look at Alpe next to Joker he's a good 2'' shorter and Joker looks like he has longer arms as well.
    Joker probably has a 3-4'' standing reach advantage on Alpe.

But Alpe is just scratching the surface of what he will be!
    I think his shot will come around with practice and I think Alpe will become a smarter defender over time as well.
    The addition of Udoka and the subtraction of Silas will help this too.

Alpe has moves of his own that Joker doesn't.
    Let's just let him mature and watch his game grow and blossom over time.
    I trust that his combination of smarts, drive, skill, practice habits and BBIQ to improve his game exponentially over the coming years!

8. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

Sengun doesn't have to be as good as Jokic or the best player on the team for the Rockets to know that running the offense through him is still the way to go. He would be the main distributor, he's the best decision maker on the floor.

BHannes2BHonest, Arnel, xaos and 2 others like this.
  9. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

That's an insane bar to clear, especially right now. You're talking about someone who's looking like an all time great (Jokic).

Why does Sengun have to stack up to the absolute best player in the NBA? Just needs to get better at defense and 3pt shooting slowly. Has been developing really well despite the conditions.

#9 Mathloom, Jun 2, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2023
  10. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

IF he comes back next year prepared to contribute outside of 6 feet I think he could get close at least as an offensive threat. Sengun doesnt have the size that Jokic does to impact an offensive scheme as a defender just by getting in the way. I think you can hunt Sengun with intent during a playoff series if he doesnt get a little better there.

34to11, burlesk and hlmbasketball like this.
  11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Nope he will never be that good.

Jokic is unique, with his size and skill......

Sengun can have some similarities like passing etc, and low block play - but Sengun is more of a Scola than a Jokic.

DD

34to11, Newlin and hlmbasketball like this.
  12. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

If James Harden comes back to us Sengun will not be running the play making!
    If we get a great Point Guard as our selection for the 4th Pick . It will only add to the fact
    Sengun will be even more limited, Y

13. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

LOL ... the real question is can Jokic be Sengun!!!
    @AroundTheWorld

Go Rockets!!!

14. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

15. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

seriously?

giphy.gif

payaso, Verbal Christ, HP3 and 2 others like this.
  16. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

He can become just as important to his team, in slightly different ways.

17. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's unfair to even compare him to Jokic.

Arnel likes this.
  18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

No.

Might as well ask if he can become Jordan.

Jokic is an elite, all time great.

HP3 likes this.
  19. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jokic is maybe an inch taller, if that (and about 40 pounds heavier). Pretty sure Sengun jumps at least two inches higher than Jokic (70 blocks Sengun vs. 47 blocks Jokic last season, 77 dunks Sengun vs. 21 dunks Jokic last season), and yes, he is quicker.

When Jokic was drafted (at about Sengun's current age), he was less bulky, he weighed about 10 pounds more than Sengun does now.

Sengun is definitely more athletic.

Also, with regard to 3-point shooting, we heard that Silas actively discouraged him, and yet, in 2023 (at low volume, due to Silas' discouragement), despite his coach not believing in him, he actually shot:

upload_2023-6-2_17-14-37.png

Tfor3, payaso, Dobbizzle and 5 others like this.
  20. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

To add some more data, if you compare them at the same age, this is what you get:

upload_2023-6-2_17-20-24.png

upload_2023-6-2_17-20-37.png

Based on that comparison, nobody can tell me that Sengun doesn't have the POTENTIAL to become as good as Jokic.

As to the size argument - look at the photos above. It's already debunked. Same for the potential to become a competent shooter - look at his 2023 3-point percentage.

After that season, that's when Denver committed to Jokic, and started building around him.

They are reaping the fruits now.

The Rockets should do the same with Alperen Sengun.

The time is now.

Tfor3, PeterKingX, hajkov and 15 others like this.