1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

What the mock drafts are saying...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pringles09, May 16, 2023.

1. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I can't think of a rational reason why Portland would trade 3 for 4 and willingly pass up Scoot. If they want more picks, they should just trade Lillard or guys they already have.

pippendagimp likes this.
  2. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I don’t think they will, but there is plenty of rational not to take Scoot when you already have Lilliard and Simons and are not interested in a re-build.

NewAge, ApacheWarrior and Arnel like this.
  3. topfive

topfive CF OG

They pass on Scott because they're locked into their current All-Star PG for the next 4 years.

Unless the Blazers have a plan to trade Lillard soon (this off-season, or before the deadline), drafting Scoot makes no sense. They'd piss off their loyal star by adding someone who can't help the team except as a backup.

Arnel and Rolliepollie like this.
  4. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Like I said....that would be entirely irrational by them. I hope that to be the case!

topfive likes this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

This is how things work too......even though Dame is a legend over there.

Pissing off Dame at age 33, I do not think it is the equivalent of pissing off a 24 year old Dame......but okay.

I mean yeah, you could call it loyalty but it is also a sure unwillingness to move out of his comfort zone.

Scoot would take at least 2-3 years to develop, I do not see any problems with the timeline.

groovemachine likes this.
  6. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

If we can get Scoot that would be ideal. But I’m starting to feel ok with Amen Thompson as a plan B.

Somehow it feels like we are in a win - win situation.

7. Joemambo

Joemambo Member

Maybe he needs glasses?

8. Rolliepollie

Rolliepollie Member

Amen to that brother! (No pun intended)

Arnel likes this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

We have been swag winners for years other than the past 3 years.

10. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Stone said it yesterday it’s going to be best player available at 4. Whichever one of Scoot, Miller, or Amen drop to 4 that will be the pick if they stay at 4.

txppratt likes this.
  11. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

What I would really like to see is a trade back that will net you Jarace and one of the lesser PG’s like Black, if Scoot is not available. Orlando would be ideal, but I don’t know that they would bite unless Scoot is there, in which case I wouldn’t make the trade if I were the Rockets. If Scoot is not available maybe 4 and 20 for 6 and 11.

No Worries likes this.
  12. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

everything i've seen points to amen not being a top 4 pick, and i noticed at least one mock draft has him falling hard now going even after his brother

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  13. J.R.

J.R. Member

Not a mock…

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  14. J.R.

J.R. Member

#94 J.R., Jun 3, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2023
  15. topfive

topfive CF OG

Anyone have ESPN+? Their new mock draft hits the paywall right when they get to the Rockets' pick. :mad:

16. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

4. Houston Rockets
    Best fit: Ausar Thompson | Overtime Elite | PG/SG | Age: 20.3

Best available: Amen Thompson | Overtime Elite | PG/SG | Age: 20.3

With James Harden widely assumed to be joining the Rockets in free agency, it's difficult to see Amen Thompson being a great positional fit alongside him, Jalen Green and Kevin Porter Jr. considering his struggles as a perimeter shooter and the fact that his long-term upside clearly revolves around being a big playmaking guard who a team builds their roster around.

His brother Ausar, while not quite the ballhandling/passing/finishing prospect, has more experience playing off the ball, cleaner shooting mechanics and perimeter shooting projection. He shares some of the same attributes that make Amen special with his transition scoring prowess, court vision, and defensive versatility -- which makes him an easier fit positionally but also gives him significant upside to grow into. -- Givony

20. Houston Rockets (via LA Clippers)
    Best fit: Brice Sensabaugh | Ohio State | SF/PF | Age: 19.5

Best available: Hawkins

The Rockets' offense ranked last in 3-point percentage last season, so adding shooting to the lineup is a priority on draft night.

Sensabaugh shot 41% from 3 last season on a large volume of attempts (4.5 per game), despite a difficult shot diet that consisted of more pull-up jumpers than attempts with his feet set -- excelling nevertheless in both. More than a shooter, he's an elite scorer from anywhere on the floor, bringing the type of firepower every NBA team actively seeks from the forward spots.

From the best talent available standpoint, Hawkins would be an easy choice here if teams above Houston prioritize younger and more upside-laden prospects. He has a highly coveted skill that should get him on the floor immediately with his ability to space the court and make shots off movement -- giving him plenty of room to grow as his frame, defense and ballhandling continue to evolve. -- Givony

17. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

The Rockets have enough talented youth. You're about to see how good KPJ is now that they aren't going to purposely lose games. He's put up 50/10 multiple times and could give you a triple double on any given night. He's still young and has already done what Scoot and other guards will hope to do. They shouldn't give up valuable assets and/or draft picks to trade for Scoot when they can trade #4 for a juicy package that can help them (win) now and later. Scoot going to Charlotte or Portland (or another non contender) isn't going hurt the rockets in any way, but trading valuable assets and draft picks for him could. KPJ and Tate are both underrated. Sengun and Jabari will both be even better. Rockets have a great coaching staff now and all they need is some veteran help and star presence. Don't gamble all they've sacrificed for 3 seasons for another rookie.

#97 BasketballMind, Jun 6, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2023
    ReverseBjorn likes this.
  18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Nvm beat me to it

topfive likes this.
  19. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

20. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Take two proven 2 way players that are high character, all about the team, fit with the core AND fit with Udoka.

snowconeman22 likes this.