1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

All of Amen Thompson’s makes and misses from 3 at OTE

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Reeko, Jun 2, 2023.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

He reminds me of Corey Maggette actually. There's probably a place for him on some teams but I don't envision it being this one

pippendagimp and Reeko like this.
  2. Reeko

Reeko Member

Who’s your preference at #4 if the pick isn’t traded?

3. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

He is ages behind Ben Simmons
    OTE hid all their failings. Rank 30 4 stars like them are almost never one and done top lotto picks. OTE is done after this year with the Thompsons failing out. Exposed as a fraudulent worth nothing league.

Last year their best prospect who put up more points than Thompsons, Jean Montero who put up 17/5/4 with 3 blocks can't even make a NBA roster.

Thompson's are a media annoyed creation. Pure bust in every way and form if drafted high in the lotto.

Sen89 and maj21 like this.
  4. YOLO

YOLO Member

trade it plz!!

to answer your question, I would take Jarace over anyone else in that area. But I don't think the rockets are the best fit for him. It's just the player I would prefer

Reeko likes this.
  5. Reeko

Reeko Member

watching the video again, and some of these misses are astonishing

3:15 mark…Did he actually miss the rim completely and hit the backboard from that angle?

and look at who he’s playing against in that clip…that legit looks like a sorry high school team, and Amen is 20 years old

Sen89, Crashlanded19 and Noob Cake like this.
  6. maj21

maj21 Member

I’ve thought about that too. Like how many more scorers do we need?! You’ve convinced me, Hendricks makes! Only thing problem is we don’t know if we have that true number one franchise guy. We still need to find that

Verbal Christ likes this.
  7. a time to chill

I don’t understand why Amen is projected to be a lottery pick. Seems like he’s going to need a while to develop. Perhaps a team drafts him and stashes him in the G League for a year.

8. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Probably based on court vision and athleticism

9. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Amen provides more than scoring and you'll have to buy the overall game not just sell because of the shot.

Amen Thompson 2023 Draft Profile | Tankathon - worth noting his ts% and efg% are pretty good. Projected 3% doesn't bother me either.

When he's playing off ball you let him cut, play the dunker spot or catch lobs. That's how you hide his jumpshot. WITH the ball his paint pressure and playmaking are huge benefits. With that comes a defensive potential and the destroyer of worlds in transition.

I think some folks took the lottery for granted and expected either Wembanyama or Scoot as a consolation. Now that we won't get either nothing is good enough.

10. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

If Sengun is going to be showcased as the ball distributor you better have guys around him that are willing to get dirty on defense and can hit the 3 ball. We have both Jalen and Sengun who could possibly reach the "superstar" level, but they will need to be given that chance without having to share the ball with 4 other guys who also need the ball in their hand to be effective. Hopefully Jabari will regain his form - but you could possibly have Sengun/Jalen running lead with KPJ/Jabari/Hendricks playing defense and knocking down shots. That would be a LONG lineup. I guess my biggest question is if Hendricks is a better long term prospect than Tari Eason as there is some overlap there.

11. OremLK

OremLK Member

The reasons Amen is a high lottery pick are the same reasons LeBron was viewed as a generational talent, just with more problems and issues, and not quite as much size/strength. Incredible physical tools coupled with high feel for the game and excellent court vision/passing.

If there weren't the question marks with Amen's game, shooting & competition level, that people constantly bring up, he would be viewed in that kind of light. Remember, even LeBron came into the league with a bad jump shot--not quite as broken, but still poor--generally not very good defense--and an inconsistent half-court game. He was a blur in transition, great at finishing around the hoop, and an incredible passer even as a rookie.

Now, Amen has more issues and more questions than LeBron did for sure, and he won't be able to play bully ball to the same level. I do not remotely expect results similar to LeBron's rookie season. So I'm in no way saying "THE NEXT LEBRON" about him, so get off my *ss about it.

But it's just extremely obvious what scouts and analysts see in him. Not sure what the issue is. Anytime there's a guy with elite-elite physical tools and real basketball skills/feel for the game, that guy is going to get drafted high.

12. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Let's take Amen with the 20th pick

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  13. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

I really hope we don’t draft this dude.

pippendagimp likes this.
  14. maj21

maj21 Member

Hendricks is better than Tari, plus he’s 3 years younger than him. A front court with Jabari, Tari, and Hendricks would be nasty!! The shooting floor spacing would be fun to watch

pippendagimp likes this.
  15. Nook

Nook Member

It doesn't really matter to me who you want but there are some major warts with Whitmore.

First, he is likely a 2-3 in the NBA and he is an absolute black hole.

He averages about one assist every TWO games and he has twice as many turnovers as he does assists.

There are nightmarish stats for every single player in this draft - including Wemby.

You have to look at the context of the stats - for example, in the OTL there is ZERO spacing, so most of the time when Thompson is in the paint there are 6-7 players in that area. His ability to finish is fleshed out by the fact that overall he shot 85% in transition, which is exceptional. He also shot overall 81% on cuts to the rim (amazing), also he shot overall last season, 74% from the rim - which is the best in this draft and the highest since they started keeping track.

There is zero question about his ability to finish ..... also he shot overall 57% from the field....... and he shot overall 66% from the floor on two point shots last year....... so there is no way that he shot 40% on layups.

The problem with Thompson is really simple - he has few real warts, but the wart he has is that he is a poor outside shooter and the question is whether he will get his jumper good enough to be a really good player.

Little Bit likes this.
  16. Reeko

Reeko Member

there are 6-7 high school aged players in the paint that Amen is several years older than and far more athletic than so I don’t put much stock in a cramped OTE paint…it was man amongst boys down there

How I can take those amazing finishing stats all that seriously when he is both older and far more athletic than damn near the entire league he is playing against? He was basically a college sophomore playing against high school juniors and seniors

31% of Amen’s made field goals in OTE were dunks. Is he gonna be able to generate that amount in the NBA?

17. Nook

Nook Member

Cam Whitmore is a black hole.

On average it takes him two games to get a single assist and he averages over two turnovers for every assist.

He also holds the ball a long time - he is an isolation scorer (a very good one actually).

OremLK likes this.
  18. YOLO

YOLO Member

Cam isn't a pg. generating assists isn't much of a priority. not sure why some folks want to highlight this, when being some primary play maker isn't who he is as a player.

his calling card is being a scorer

19. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

Nook as much as I love Amen as a prospect I think it’s a stretch to say that Amen is missing ONLY outside shooting.

He does not have proper shooting from almost anywhere on the floor. No mid range J, no outside J, no floater, mid 60s FT%. If you look at players like Ja, who wasn’t a good shooter straight out of college, at least he had SOME bag (floaters). Amen’s shooting is not only bad, it’s abysmal.

Crashlanded19 and Reeko like this.
  20. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

He's got the WORST shot form out of all the top swingmen prospects I have EVER seen. And I mean that respectfully. I don't think his shot is fixable. Its not just the mechanics either, he has no feel for the basket outside 5 ft.