1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022/2023 mock Trade/Draft/Free agency thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sydmill, May 31, 2022.

1. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Yeah - the basic idea was to swap out assets for experienced playoff guys and, and see if we could retain all of our top picks.

It all depends on one's view of our current players and how much talent they actually have.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  2. raining threes

It's in the Thompson thread

You know who else wasn't a good shooter at Thompsons age? Magic

3. raining threes

It's in the Thompson thread

You know who else wasn't a good shooter at Thompsons age? Magic

4. raining threes

Liked , for thinking outside the box.

5. raining threes

Wish they would've picked Murphy. He's e actly what the team needs. Can you come up with a package that would get Murphy that doesn't include 1-4?

#1805 raining threes, Jun 2, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2023
  6. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

You mean the guy who won a hs,ncaa,and nba ring by the age of 20? That Magic? You must be speaking of Majic Johnson not Magic Johnson

7. raining threes

Yes I am.

8. raining threes

9. Landry's Tooth

You know who else wasn't a good shooter at Thompson's age? Me.

10. Landry's Tooth

I think Murphy could be had. The Pelicans have a horrible cap situation. We could absorb a bad contract and offer a pick like 20 or the Washington pick from the Wall trade. Maybe a cheap role player like Martin has value for them.

raining threes likes this.
  11. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I agree that the selection of Amen Thompson at 4 only makes sense if he comes off the bench ala Tony Parker did for SAS. We do need a defensive minded pass first veteran with an average jumper on a short contract as the starter in free agency.

12. OremLK

OremLK Member

If we're trying to win games, I agree with this. I think Amen can bring some positive things as a rookie, especially playing in transition, but those things probably work better against bench squads off the bat.

That said, I think there's an argument for just letting him start and being willing to lose games for the sake of faster development. I know that's not what most people on the bbs want to hear right now though, and from what I know of Udoka, I doubt that's the direction he'll want to go.

I'm still hoping that if Amen is the pick, we go for a guy like Conley/CP3/Smart/Tyus Jones instead of Harden though, mainly for contract length, so Amen can take over in 1-2 years instead of being stuck behind an aging Harden. If FVV would take a 3 year max deal I would also consider that over a 4 year contract for Harden. FVV should be tradeable in year 3 as an expiring.

13. raining threes

I'm really hoping for Reaves, Caruso or Vincent to be the guy you're describing.

saleem likes this.
  14. raining threes

Agreed, but since OKC has their pick in 2024, they won't be tanking.

15. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

The Celtics, if they resign Brown, will have to shed some salary. What do you think it would take to land Marcus Smart? He'd be a perfect culture setter. For instance:

Draft Cam Whitmore
    Sign Donte DiVincenzo
    Trade the #20 pick in a package for Marcus Smart. What else would we have to throw in? Would you be willing to include Tari Eason? A future FRP?

Smart / Green / Whitmore / Smith / Sengun
    KPJ / DiVincenzo / Tate / KJM / Garuba

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Marcus Smart only works if you surround him with shooters and you just built a starting lineup with exactly 0 even average NBA 3 point shooters.

Why do so many fans hate spacing?

Your second unit would objectively be better than your first unit despite Tate being terrible.

17. Houston77

Supporting Member

Meh. Green and Smith were both shooting .35+ during the final stretch of last season. I’d bank on them improving. Whitmore will be a solid 3 pt shooter. He shot .4+ on catch-and-shoot attempts at 18 yrs old.

Also, Smart isn’t that bad of a shooter. He shot .33 from 3 last season. That’s just under the league average of .343. His shot is good enough to be respected.

18. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I like your post.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Neither shot even 34% for the season though, we can hope that they'll improve, and sure it could happen, but you don't build a roster on blind faith. Maybe Nix will improve, should we keep him around?

In Green's last 20 games he was shooting 33.6% from 3, which is slightly under his season average. He's always been a streaky rather than good shooter, and I don't see a reason to expect that to change.

In Smith's last 20 games he was shooting 36.5% from 3, which I agree, is reason to hope he'll be better next season.

Either way, bringing in a PG that can't shoot....to replace by far the best shooter on the team, is a horrible idea.

20. Houston77

Supporting Member

The difference between Nix and Smith/Green is I saw Green and Smith improve towards the end of last season. Nix was bad throughout. It's not blind faith -- it's just viewing the season in parts as opposed to a singular concept.