1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brandon Miller....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pringles09, Feb 21, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

I do not know if he would be the best shooter on the team, because he shot 38% from the 3 point line on 7 attempts and JABARI shot 43% from the 3 point line on 5 attempts IN COLLEGE. Jabari and Brandon are both great shooters. Jabari is much better defender, but Brandon has decent handles and a decent playmaker. Brandon is not good on isolation plays, no first step but he has some handles to get by. I really do feel like the Blazers will pick my guy-AMEN Thompson but Brandon Miller is a average defender for 6’9, but elite 3 point shot, elite free throw shooter and has handles to play PICK N ROLL.

2. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

I do not know if he would be the best shooter on the team, because he shot 38% from the 3 point line on 7 attempts and JABARI shot 43% from the 3 point line on 5 attempts. Jabari and Brandon are both great shooters. Jabari is much better defender, but Brandon has decent handles and a decent playmaker. Brandon is not good on isolation plays, no first step but he has some handles to get by. I really do feel like the Blazers will pick my guy-AMEN Thompson but Brandon Miller is a average defender for 6’9, but elite 3 point shot, elite free throw shooter and has handles to play PICK N ROLL.

3. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

If Brandon Miller slips to four and we are there, this will be me on draft night:

upload_2023-6-1_17-9-21.gif

daywalker02 likes this.
  4. roslolian

roslolian Member

Jabari didn't really sustain his shot in the NBA though, he lost it for some reason so I think Miller gonns be the best shooter on this team.

Being an elite shooter while being average at everything else is already worth the top 4 pick imo, most shooters are horrible everywhere else like Duncan Robinson, Tyler Herro etc if Miller is already elite at shooting and average defensively and plsymaking then that's a great base to work on and improve as he gets started in his career.

5. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

Miller kind of reminds me of Trey Murphy. That's not a knock on Miller. I really like Murphy's upside and future. Miller doesn't have Murphy's pure shot form, but I think they may end up as similar players. I would be ok with that if he falls to us at 4.

6. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I thought the dunked on podcast guys had a nice comp for Miller’s floor as that of a Brandon Ingram type - skilled and tall wing but not an elite athlete or very strong. They seem to think he has a high floor to be a useful NBA player but not necessarily a guy who they believe will be a superstar - more of great secondary scorer on a good team…and maybe that’s okay if Jalen is your primary.

I would trade up to grab him and certainly you take him if he happens to be at #4 but I think that is probably unlikely because it would mean Portland or Charlotte would value higher ceiling but also much lower floor (presumably Amen is the only guy who would potentially be taken over him) over a somewhat safe pick in Miller. I also can’t see a team trading into the top 3 and taking a guy as risky as Amen that high with far safer options available.

my big board goes:
    Victor, Scoot, and Miller in that order. The draft gets risky AF at that point and I’m not particularly high on Amen but to me I would almost prefer trade down for a Whitmore over taking Amen at 4.

roslolian likes this.
  7. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

You can teach shooting, defense and dribbling but you can not teach: Vision, Feel For The Game, elite 1 step and play making. Amen has elite skills that he can be a Franchise Player. Brandon has a higher floor than Amen, because he can stay on the floor right now because of his shooting. However, the sky is the limit for Amen if he is a average 3 point shooter

8. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

You can teach shooting, defense and dribbling but you can not teach: Vision, Feel For The Game, elite 1 step and play making. Amen has elite skills that he can be a Franchise Player. Brandon has a higher floor than Amen, because he can stay on the floor right now because of his shooting. However, the sky is the limit for Amen if he is a average 3 point shooter
    I agree

BaselineFade likes this.
  9. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

I think Ingram is the ceiling for Brandon: good shooter, nice length on offense and defense but that’s it. If you are drafting in the top 5 you need to gamble and take a guy on potential. Again, you can teach dribbling, shooting and to play defense but Franchise characteristics are elite 1st step, athleticism, vision, feel for the game and play making. Every GM looking for that Franchise player

10. roslolian

roslolian Member

If it's that easy to teach shooting why is Steph Curry so highly regarded? What he does can be learned by everyone according to you.

Yeah sky's the limit for Amen IF he can learn to shoot but he been in OTE for 2 yrs now still and still shoots like crap. And according to rumors he works really hard sleeps in the gym a lot of times cuz he ends up staying too late etc So imagine he spends 2 yrs like that and at the end his 3 pt shot ave is 25% in the freaking OTE. Maybe that's not a red flag to you but it is to me. I Def like Amen more than Scoot but that's not saying much since I rate Scoot lower than pretty much every other pg in the top 10 including Cason Wallace.

Tbh debating Miller and Amen is a moot point no chance both of them available by 4rth pick but personally I do rank Miller higher than Amen.

11. roslolian

roslolian Member

All it takes is one bad injury and Amen is trash tier look at Joh Wall, WB, DRose etc. Everything Amen does hinges on his athleticism cuz he can't shoot and has 0 range so if he loses a step he is done. Every franchise player nowadays are extremely skilled esp if they're a guard you won't find a franchise player guard who can't shoot nowadays so if you wanna talk who can be the franchise player between the 2 it's honestly Miller cuz his shooting if he improves it to Steph Curry level he can be a 6'9 Curry. Yeah there's little chance of that happening but that's the same as Amen developing an average shot. More likely scenario is Miller becomes Brandon Ingram clone and Amen shoots 27% from 3 or something. And I take BI over a broke shot pg any day.

#711 roslolian, Jun 2, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2023
    invocux and comrade like this.
  12. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

could u please elaborate on why you're down on scoot and think he'll be available at pick 4

daywalker02 likes this.
  13. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

Jabari was hitting a lot more of his 3's as the season progressed. His last 18 games he was up to 36.6% from 3 and 46.5% from 2. Plus he picked up 16pts and 8 boards per game. That production is great for such a young rookie.

14. roslolian

roslolian Member

There's 4 guys at the top right Wemby's a lock and then you have Scoot Miller and Amen in some order. NO and Portland both have PGs so depending on how things shake out we may end up with Scoot.

I'm down on Scoot cuz he is injury prone, he has a shaky shot and he is 6'2. If we get him then he becomes the 1st option and that's just the kiss of death cuz only 1 pg has led his team to a ring and that's Billups (and Steph Curry but that dude has 3-4 all star teammates so he is the exception). Scoot is probably the most polished talent in the top 10 he may come in gangbusters and lock up ROY but he is playing on borrowed time as his plays are all dependent on his insane athleticism and he has to exert himself everytime cuz he is too short. Everytime he comes in and dunks with authority it's great but we have limited no of jumps in our knees and Scoot has to jump really high and absorb a lot of force every time he lands on almost every possession he makes.

I been watching the NBA since Yao Mac era Allen Iverson, Steve Francis, JWall, DRose cmon man we've seen this song and dance numerous times. DRose archetype always makes an instant impact but also becomes injury prone and an albatross contract down the road, usually midway thru the 2nd extension. Their drop isn't gradual either dude just wakes up and suddenly he is washed.

If course you can ignore all the data we have and pretend everythings gonna be alright after all that's what No did with Zion. I can tell you for sure though a lot of people saw that train wreck a mile away just didn't expect it to happen so fast.

#714 roslolian, Jun 2, 2023
    pippendagimp and fattz like this.
  15. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

from what i’ve seen though he also has the bball iq and midrange game to still develop skills as a top PG even if the crazy athleticism fades fast

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

sirjesse likes this.
  17. roslolian

roslolian Member

Yeah what about the injuries though? You gonna be paying him max money and he'll be missing time or playing like crap cuz he is too short like Cp3.

Just watch him play you'll know why he already has major injuries before he even got to the NBA. I love watching flashy players but I don't like them on my team you want guys who play boring basketball cuz these guys are the ones who stay healthy and have long productive careers. Guarantee Jokic and Luka will have longer careers than Zion and Morant.

#717 roslolian, Jun 2, 2023
  18. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

I just don’t understand how basketball’s your passion and these cats can’t shoot a ball at all. It’s amazing.

19. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Pat Bev did say a lot of players don’t love the game. Just see it as a means to an end.

20. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

Is it just me or do you guys think Brandon Miller will have a Paul Pierce body type as he matures? I’m starting to lean towards drafting Amen Thompson personally.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.