1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brandon Miller....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pringles09, Feb 21, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I think they will sign a shooter or two. I also believe Jabari showed that he will be a shooter with his play later in the year. KPJ should also be playing off the ball more and he is a very good 3 pt shooter. I’ve changed my mind on Harden after hearing Ime saying he will use Sengun to run the point in the half court. If they are able to get Scoot or Amen in the draft, then signing Harden would make a lot more sense, but only for 2-3 years at less than max.

randerson and OremLK like this.
  2. Caesar

Caesar Member

And Harden will erase that culture before it begins if we get him.

randerson and cheke64 like this.
  3. YOLO

YOLO Member

the culture of every team hes been on going into the postseason. cool. sign me up

roslolian and clos4life like this.
  4. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Miller would be a great get.

Doesn't have that tantalizing mega star upside that Amen / Scoot might have, but nothing stopping him from developing into a Jason Tatum type player. And it is certainly possible that Scoot tops out as llke a Kemba Walker, while Miller exceeds that.

The guy is a baller, best player in college.

This game in particular, right after the incident, he is being booed, every reason to falter, and just crushes it.

Eason / Miller / Smith is an outstanding collection of wings. You would still need an engine, and you hope Green turns into that, but I would still be thrilled to land Miller.

roslolian, Caesar, randerson and 2 others like this.
  5. OremLK

OremLK Member

I agree that Tatum is what you'd dream on if you're one of those who are high on Miller, but it's a bit odd to drop that ceiling comp right after saying he doesn't have megastar potential (unless you just don't think Tatum is that good?) :p

Personally I don't see it because Tatum is a lot stronger and better at driving & finishing at the rim. 63% in the paint as a rookie, ~74% the past few seasons. Brandon Miller really struggled in that area.

If we somehow end up with Miller, I'll just be happy if he turns out to be like a slightly better Harrison Barnes. That's a fairly realistic outcome for Miller and that kind of player would really help us. We'd just have to pick up a solid starting point guard in free agency/trade and hope that Green or Sengun turn into true #1 options and Jabari turns into a great #2/#3 alongside Miller.

MrButtocks likes this.
  6. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I have Tatum as high end star, but not Superstar.

Caesar and MystikArkitect like this.
  7. OremLK

OremLK Member

Interesting take. Guess it depends on where you draw the line. I have him somewhere in the 5th to 10th best range.

roslolian likes this.
  8. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I follow Bama for football. I don’t personally like watching college basketball that much but watched a good bit this year because they were very good. I was pretty high on Miller early in the year, but wavered as the season went.

It’s basically 95 % in my brain that Miller or Amen drop to 4. I dont see Scoot magically falling. And honestly, I think it’s going to end up with Miller available to us. Personally, I like Ausar, Whitmore and even Walker for us right now over Miller

Concerns
    -jump shot is low mechanics wise and made worse by no elevation on jumper. Release doesnt seem quick.

-He isnt turning the corner often.

-Average physical skills=low defensive ceiling.

-I think he is a smart player but what skills will allow him to create for himself or others consistently ?

-If you bring a gun to a friend in downtown Tuscaloosa you are dumb. Unfathomable.

-While we need shooting, do we have that many shots.

randerson, OremLK and ArtV like this.
  9. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Rockets would be lucky to have Miller if he falls to 4 but i dont think he will. But hed be a great get with huge upside.

Corrosion likes this.
  10. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

If Miller doesn't carry the stench of Ray Lewis, I'm in.
    Won't be available at 4, though, so....?

11. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Brandon Miller is not a great player. Everyone is saying he is a Star…..nope. He is a role player. Average handles, no elite first step…no separation. Brandon Miller is a Jabari Smith with elite shooting, with average handles and a average defender. Jabari is just a role player with no elite skills. If we do not get Amen WE must choose Ausar Thompson! Ausar has a elite 1st step, elite defender, great shot blocker, elite athleticism, great passer…he would be our best defender on the team.

12. roslolian

roslolian Member

He ain't Paul George otherwise he'd be consensus the 2nd pick. Paul George is a beast genetically basically had a 6'9 MJ body proportions and could jump out of the gym as well.

Unfortunately Miller didn't attend the combine (which I thought was not allowed tbh) so we don't know Miller's measurements other than his height of 6'8/6'9. Smart players already measure themselves prior to the combine so I'm guessing he has average or short arm length and hands otherwise he would have gotten measured.

OremLK likes this.
  13. OremLK

OremLK Member

Him and his agent must have thought getting measured would be worse for his draft stock--same for Scoot. Doesn't necessarily mean he has T-Rex arms or whatever but it does suggest there's nothing particularly great about his measurements versus what's already out there.

Twins got measured because they grew a bit more and are up to 7' wingspan (reportedly they were 6'11" at the beginning of this season).

None of those four guys participated in drills.

roslolian likes this.
  14. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Who is your Top 3 in the Draft?

1. Spurs Victor
    2. Charlotte Miller
    3. Blazers Scoot
    4. Rockets Amen

15. roslolian

roslolian Member

And Miller would be the best shooter on the team. You realize Miller scored higher and on better percentages in the NCAA than Ausar did beating up teenagers in OTE right?

Not saying I'm not a fan of Ausar (he a stud) but Miller would also be a great pick. As for who si better between the two it's hard for me to say as I'm not an expert drafter I leave it up to Rox mgt.

16. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Paul George was drafted 10th in a weak draft and he was definitely Paul George.

Dankstronaut likes this.
  17. roslolian

roslolian Member

Weak draft? His draft had Wall, Cousins. Gordon, George and Larry Sanders who was actually a good player before he became lazy/crazy.

That's not hof but not exactly weak either imo.

18. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Victor
    Scoot
    Miller

Hasn't really changed much for me.

rockets1995 and Corrosion like this.
  19. Caesar

Caesar Member

Yeah, T-Mac body proportions more so for PG, but i agree. The shooting form was always smooth too. He tweaked it with less movement and less energy waste, but it was always pretty form. Miller on the other hand has those t-rex arms with that low shot put form that i keep seeing more and more in prospects these days for some reason. It negates a lot of his height advantage if he's going to play a 2, and make him easily blockable against 3s when he already lacks the strength and not sure his first step is all that impressive to be a mismatch in that regard.

If he's there at #4, you have to take him. I just don't see success as full time SF. Green would need to take a big leap to play the Murray role with Miller as 2 backcourt scoring guards with Baby Joker being the primary distributor. Bari and Tari/Garuba as the MPJ and Gordon roles.

OremLK likes this.
  20. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Three all-stars and Larry Summers is a weak draft, yes. Hard to find a weaker draft than that in the past 20 years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.