1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What if we just signed Draymond Green next season?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SamFisher, Oct 14, 2022.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

They dont HAVE to be good, but being bad does nothing cause they dont have their 2024 draft pick.

And exactly on your comment... which is why Draymond on an EXPIRING is the only way id take him, and again, if other meh'ish moves are your only other options.

Why did i bring those options up? Because the FA class is meh.

What I'd MUCH prefer is a trade for Ayton or Siakim or something like that. Just trying to think of disgruntled or potentially duplicative "star" type players that really move the needle and those are the 2 "obvious" ones. Maybe there are others in that category?

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

the OKC draft pick thing means the Rockets basiclaly have a 50% chance of getting LITERALLY NOTHING out of being horrendously bad in 23-24.

The fallout might reset their rebuild timeline back to the bottom. That means everybody we had busted, failed to develop. Jalen, Jabari, KPJ, everybody, and any FA signings and Nets picks and trades were busts. Basiclaly it means the Rockets were horrendously bad for almost half a decade and have nothing to show for it. And maybe those guys don't totally bust but instead want out. That's bad!

They should try not to be horrendously bad in 2024! Draymond Green would help them be less horrendously bad.

3. RoadWarrior

RoadWarrior Member

Cool let’s just hire Jeffrey Dahmer as the team chef.

4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I still don't understand why Draymond is in the equation at all he does not make this team good he most likely will make it worse because of his interactions with teammates and his diminishing skills, he will still think he is a franchise type player and anybody that does not treat him as such will have issues, how is that good for a team that tops out as the 8th seed?

Being mediocre does nothing but give you a false sense of security, just look at the teams I have mentioned as well as sacremento.

He also would stunt the growth of other players because he would want to be the center of everything.

I still don't understand what the FA class has to do with anything there is not set date on being good it seems you just want a team that has a chance at a winning record I want a team that has a real chance at championship not a team that teases every year and maybe makes it out of the 1st round time to time.

I really don't understand what this FA agent class has to do with anything, I would rather just see how things young guys develop and hope we have a franchise guy which puts us in the same place.

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

He'd be on an expiring contract. I bet on dude's on those contracts. They tend to usually play really well, while their "culture" issues go away.

I'm not huge on Draymond, but he absolutely is a great great defender, and knows how to play winning basketball. The idea that he'd be a net negative seems absurd to me. Heck, this is a whole thread about it.

This has nothing to do with long-term mediocricity. They benefit in no way from being bad in 2023. If Dray takes them from bad to mediocre, that's a benefit. They need to learn how to win. If he takes them from mediocre to mediocre, it doesnt matter, he's not on the team long term.

Right, right, like he has in golden state?!? Lol. Again, Draymond isn't getting to a new team and being the center of anything. Worst case is a Russ scenario, where he REALLY doesn't fit and everyone else ignores him. But even that isnt' the worst case, cause its only that bad for the Lakers cause they had championship desires. This Rockets team is likely just going to be trying to make the playoffs on their push to get better and better every year.

There is ABSOLUTELY a set date on being good. JG and KPJ etc etc might profess their love of Houston till their face turns blue... they will want to win, and sooner rather than later. It doesnt HAVE to be 2023/24, but it definitely has to be pretty quickly around that.

The FA class is relevant cause the Rockets will have massive cap space. They don't HAVE to use it, but they also kind of do have to use it, as you have a minimum cap threshold.

To me, absent a MAJOR move, i'd prefer one year type deals to meh signings. Because of that "mediocre" comment you made. Whether that's Dray one year or something like JJ did with the 76ers years back.

there's virtually ZERO chance they do nothing with all their cap space next offseason, regardless of what you prefer. $$ will be spent, BECAUSE if it isn't spent and they dont hit the minimum, they have to put it in the NBA pot anyway. Plus, a GM is just going to spend money they have.

Again, see above, id prefer one year deals over meh players for the reasons you're saying. Which is EXACLTY why i noted i'd be open to considerign Draymond as a one year tryout.

verysimplejason likes this.
  6. verysimplejason

I'm not sure why you're always harping about cheaper and younger. I had looked in his advanced stats and there's not much fluctuations from when GSW started winning championships till now. I mean his offensive and defensive rating were almost the same. His DBPM and BPM were still almost the same. Eye test shows that he can still do what he's done before. I admit that he's very hard to gauge due to his "intangibles".

As for comparing KPJ and Draymond, first, Draymond got a lot of seniority. It may not be enough to warrant his ability to castigate (or punch) a teammate the way he did it but he's definitely got the support of his other "senior" members (Klay and Steph). History says JP isn't worth more than KD. It's a lot different case if KPJ had done what Draymond did. Anyway, if there'll be overpay just to get Draymond, I won't be suprised. His rings can do the talking and management won't give a damn to our opinions. This isn't the first time and it won't be the last.

7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

There is not much fluctuation because the team around him has not flucuated and have you looked at his 3 point shooting and true shooting %

It has been dropping for 3 years straight until he had a injury shortened season last year when he just stopped shooting.

I see you are now just going to say **** and hope nobody looks at the actual numbers, i'm done with you.

8. verysimplejason

Really? It's as if Draymond's best points comes from his 3. It's his passing and and defense that makes him special. If you're looking at his 3 as his greatest asset then yeah, I'm also done with you. I can't further argue. Just wow...

9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Your comprehension skills are not very good if that's all you got from that.

10. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Why don't we just start punching each other in the face.

AroundTheWorld and ROCK3TM4N like this.
  11. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

Draymond will not go from being on the best team and a complete dynasty, to the worst team in the NBA. He has 4 rings, plenty of money, I think he will go somewhere he can still compete, but maybe also pursue some of his post retirement aspirations while still playing, mostly focused on media , similar to how Lebron took advantage of the LA market. I am not a draymond fan, but if he could replace Kendrick Perkins that would be fine by me.

12. King1

King1 Contributing Member

@SamFisher is an idiot and failed attorney. Not surprising this is his suggestion.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  13. SamFisher

Not that easy to turn down $120 million.

I tried once.

14. Know Your Role

We could of had Green in 2012. But we took Royce White and Terreance Jones over him. Draymon as a key player on the James Harden's would have changed history. But nahh, Mchale and Morey picked scrubs.

15. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

Never know what these guys are thinking, Draymond discount may not be to the level of Wiggins. Honestly do not even know what the market for Draymond is. He has benefited from a good organization, never know what removing a player from that team will really do for them. I think they really were able to maximize the talent of some guys who otherwise would have been role players. To me Draymond today is worth what PJ Tucker was 4-5 seasons ago.

16. verysimplejason

Heh! And you dare to lecture about comprehension skills...

17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

You just keep living up to your moniker.

Very simple indeed.

18. verysimplejason

Ooops. Sorry, there's a fly. I thought it's whispering something.

"The life expectancy of a fly is generally 15 to 30 days.
    It spends most of it trolling you!"

#178 verysimplejason, Oct 26, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2022
  19. SamFisher

20. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Mr.Scary likes this.