1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022/2023 mock Trade/Draft/Free agency thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sydmill, May 31, 2022.

1. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

You guys are nuts for wanting old ass James Harden back. That’s crazy

r-fan-since-81 and jim1961 like this.
  2. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

According to 538's defensive metrics, Harden rates as an average defender, Dame is slightly below average, and Sengun is slightly above average. But keep your narratives please.

peleincubus and Little Bit like this.
  3. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I don’t really want him back but I’ve accepted it is happening.

saleem, raining threes, Nook and 3 others like this.
  4. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

If he does, Stone should be fired immediately. He should be fired for even entertaining it.

raining threes and jim1961 like this.
  5. OremLK

OremLK Member

I strongly suspect that Tilman and/or Patrick Fertitta are the motivating factors behind this and Stone does not want Harden.

6. Landry's Tooth

Brooklyn would have to want to do that first. You're asking them to do what we just did instead of adding pieces to Bridges, Claxton, and Thomas...

rhee likes this.
  7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Really enjoyed this Amen Thompson scouting report. Not a bad option at 4 if there is no way to get Scoot Henderson.

Now the hope is that Harden's potential incoming doesn't interfere with the Rockets draft strategy.

Just draft the best prospect.

Nook, RC Cola and i3artow i3aller like this.
  8. Nook

Nook Member

He will likely help right away - in transition, as a passer and defender. He will likely be a work in progress as a perimeter shooter.

9. raining threes

I'm for adding anybody that can pass and play defense to this team. Gotta add a shooter or two and a backup big that can rim protect. Do you think Stone can add all of this in one offseason? I doubt it.

After checking out his highlights I can get on board with the Amen pick. He's a force defensively and his shot has good form.

#1749 raining threes, May 31, 2023
    Last edited: May 31, 2023
  10. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Sengun/Lively
    Jabari/Grant Williams
    Tari/Grant Williams
    Green/KPJ
    Harden/Scoot

we wouldn’t be good right away, but over time…it could be elite.

11. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Rafael Barlowe from NBA Big Board on YouTube has Cam Whitmore going to the Rockets at 4 in his latest mock draft today. He is basing this on his belief that James Harden will be returning to Houston. He isn't fond of either Amen or Ausar Thompson because of their poor shooting percentages. I assume that he isn't sure about them because they're coming from the weak OTE. Previously , he had Amen going to Houston.

RC Cola likes this.
  12. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I believe all the teams are sending out misinformation as usual. If any player has a great workout, they will say it was average. If anyone has a poor workout, they will say it was great. It's very hard for me to know who the Rockets will select. I don't think VM, Scoot or BM will fall to 4.

jim1961, OremLK and RC Cola like this.
  13. Landry's Tooth

Assuming Harden is coming I think I would do this to cover his shortfallings....

To Boston: Jalen Green, Jae'Sean Tate, Kenyon Martin Jr, (2) Brooklyn picks

To Rockets:
    Jaylen Brown

Then to replace the lost Brooklyn picks...

To Raptors:
    #4, KPJ

To Rockets:
    #13, 2025 pick swap, 2026 unprotected #1 pick

Then sign Grant Williams

Draft:
    13 - Dereck Lively
    20 - Amari Bailey

Lively is projected as an elite rim protector and good pick and roll player. Harden can use him like Capela and he can matchup better against the bigger 5s Sengun may struggle against.

Bailey is a combo guard with improving passing skills and is a 2-way player. He can be brought along slowly behind Harden. Could be a better version of KPJ (better defense and decision making).

Targeting Brown and Williams will help the defensive learning curve to help cover for Harden on that end better...

Harden / Bailey / Washington
    Brown / Christopher
    Williams / Eason
    Smith / Garuba
    Sengun / Lively

Maybe add Pat if any money left to free up minutes for Bailey at 2 guard...

snowconeman22 likes this.
  14. Landry's Tooth

I think it's a huge improvement... don't see scoot as available. Main concern is a backcourt of Harden and Green on the defensive end... whoever draws the defensive assignment will get drained on that end.

15. carl_herrera

carl_herrera Member

Incredible. You’ve exchanged our two most valuable assets for a 1 year rental, a project backup C, and projected 2nd rounder guard, and the Celtics’ 8th man.

jim1961 and saleem like this.
  16. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I really can't see how a PG shooting 25% from 3 in a lesser league than G League can get serious minutes on a playoff-seeking team. He would be a major net negative on the floor and make it very difficult to win. They're going to treat him like Westbrook, just sag off him heavily and make all drives difficult. PG's who can't shoot have not done well at all in the NBA.

It's a tough one. If you believe he has the highest ceiling where we pick, you have to do it. However just looking at his game it's very possible to me that he can only play 15-18 minutes as a backup on a team trying to make the playoffs. His shot is bad and he may be playing against worst competition than anyone in the top 10 picks. That's a major adjustment. You have to give him time.

#1756 Mathloom, Jun 1, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2023
    jim1961 likes this.
  17. PatBev

PatBev Member

18. ROCK3TM4N

ROCK3TM4N Member

You would think they would add Amen to the list just to mess with us? Lol

19. Landry's Tooth

Incredible, you think the 4th pick in a 3 player draft is more valuable than a potential top 3 pick later...

Or that Green has more value than Jaylen Brown...

But I can understand your thinking if I set aside rebounding, passing and defense....

20. OremLK

OremLK Member

Maybe they're all-in on Amen as the #2 in the class and are trying to prevent Charlotte from picking him?

(Copium)