1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shortsightedness will lead to downfall

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BallaDoc, May 29, 2023.

1. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Says who? No one wants to watch sht years of tanking.

2. dmoneybangbang

Too much uncertainty combined with endless flexibility at this point.

3. Landry's Tooth

He spends a higher % of the cap than Les. It's surprisingly true. It's all on Spotrac...

4. Landry's Tooth

He bought one of the oldest teams in the league. He shut the window so it could be opened again sooner.

Jim Crane was far more cheap and now he's loved. The same thing will happen to TF.

5. Landry's Tooth

Wouldn't that depend on the veteran?

6. fattz

fattz Member

IMO shortsightedness is going to be the downfall. We have done everything right so far less keeping Silas around to long. Trade deadline should have been his departure. Had we gotten a look at the players with some direction we would know more about the future going into the draft. I believe a system will make ALL the players accountable and better.

We need to trade back in this draft and pick up a point and a big that fits the new system. Not a promising project that may be a super star one day but basketball players to smooth out the promising projects we already have. Controlled rookie contracts have value once the value is set on the new rookies. For the “trade” but waiting for the right free agent is a must. Cap space is a must. My hope is coaching will be the difference short and long term along with well defined roles and responsibilities.

7. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Before we equate Tilman Fertita with Jim Crane, let's see the Rockets actually improve on the court.

8. Landry's Tooth

That's fair, but if it doesn't work the blame falls on the execution and not the idea to do it.

3 top 5 picks should be enough to turn a team around unless you botch the picks.

I doubt TF is in the scouting room watching Kansas tape looking for the next pick...

9. Landry's Tooth

I like Amari Bailey and Dereck Lively. They fit as role players if they don't start...

I would think that means trading #4 to move back to 10-15 range. I would do for an unprotected pick 2-3 years down the line for the right team.

10. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

every time I see this thread pop up I think about the Hitler movie. Someone should do a Hitler rant parody either on short sidedness or something like "Hitler finds out Sengun doesn't have a very good 3 point shot" :D

i3artow i3aller and ThatBoyNick like this.
  11. Landry's Tooth

I always thought the team needs the manager from Bull Durham (RIP)... maybe some bats being flung at them in the shower will cut down on some of the hot dogging and hero ball...

Hoping Ime has the stones....

12. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I feel like this board is as half/half as the organization seems to be right now.

Most are saying that there are no stars on the roster, yet we should trade our best assets for vets/role players to sign-on with a team that was due a top 2-3 pick and lucked out?

The other half is expecting us to cash in all our "high" chips to get better players on, again, a roster that was due the top 2-3 picks....

I feel like this team is at a crossroads to some respect but I believe that we do have a star on the roster. There are pieces in place to compete but we don't need to speed through the process just to appease the ownership or itchy fans that want to all of a sudden win now.

Stay the course, take opportunities where they arise (KPJ trade, Ime signing, Sengun trade up etc.) and keep developing as much as possible. Our highest pick is just going into "payout" year this upcoming season, so lets see how much of a leap he takes as well.

13. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

@AroundTheWorld finds out Sengun isn't good enough defensively for a starting role

[​IMG]

14. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Anyone with a brain understood the tanking was necessary.

And actually I enjoyed it far more than I thought I would.

Following the draft, being vested in the lottery, scouting etc added a new element to the whole process that I was never fully appreciated before.

#94 larsv8, May 31, 2023
    Last edited: May 31, 2023
    Erbnwarfare, Y2JT and OremLK like this.
  15. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Agree with everything. I would be ok with trading the pick unless Scoot is there.

16. Landry's Tooth

Before they ripped it all down, they were a 4 seed with the winning% of a 52 win team.

Here are their top 8 in minutes played:
    James Harden
    PJ Tucker
    Russell Westbrook
    Danuel House
    Ben McLemore
    Austin Rivers
    Clint Capela
    Eric Gordon

Gordon missed half the year and Capela was traded. Almost half of the rotation was Rivers, House, and McLemore.

I think it reflects on the greatness of Harden the 2nd best player on a 4 seed was Capela.

Compare the supporting cast...

Westbrook
    Tucker
    House
    Rivers
    McLemore
    Capela
    Gordon

Compare that with:

Porter Jr
    Green
    Smith
    Tate
    Sengun
    Martin
    Eason

I'm not seeing a drop off in talent, I'm seeing a drop off in experience.

There is almost no one on this roster like Rivers, McLemore, or House...

You give me Harden and some other star and he does better than a 4 seed. Then you hope the young guys get better and someone else becomes a star. Then you have Brooklyn picks to move for help.

Not saying it has to be Harden, just saying there's a lot of upside to the roster if everyone moves down 2 or 3 pegs from their best player on the team rankings.

Show me a team where Sengun is the 4th best player.... probably all contenders would be my guess....

I do have optimism for where we are at though.... cap space and assets to make moves.

FLASH21 likes this.
  17. Landry's Tooth

I have trouble believing he will be. The #3 is getting moved to someone who wants Scoot if he gets there.... I think that is a draft night decision...

I wouldn't mind moving up from 4 for the right cost. I don't feel like Scoot is the only option for a point guard.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  18. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

#98 Os Trigonum, May 31, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2023
  19. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

That movie is memed to **** but is an excellent flick.

Downfall with Bruno Ganz

20. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

i3artow i3aller and Os Trigonum like this.