1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Amen Thompson tank thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OremLK, Apr 19, 2023.

1. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

The fact that they couldn’t shoot in THAT league is extremely worrisome. I know some think that the competition was ok, but I watched some of those games and it was super trash.

There’s already enough guys here with questionable shooting.

And they were playing with each other. Which means they both had the benefit of having a projected top 10 nba draft pick as a running mate. They should’ve demolished that league but they didn’t.

2. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Creating offense for himself is actually one of his positives. He needs to become more consistent by improving his handle and strength but he has shown a lot of potential for being a self creator.

roslolian likes this.
  3. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Brandon Miller isn't dropping below 3. Amen will be at 4 nobody picking him top 3.

YOLO and saleem like this.
  4. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Hornet fans don't want him and Dame looks enamored with Amen. He might get passed to us.

Miller can set his teammates well to shoot

lionaire and cbass like this.
  5. cbass

cbass Member

[​IMG]Delete

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  6. cbass

cbass Member

I see what you did there

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  7. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

That's a funny way of saying being a horrific passer is a good thing.

8. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

More "ifs" with Amen then Miller, Scoot or Wemby. That's why Amen won't be top 3. It's really that simple. Wait till draft night. Nba does this bs every year.

9. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

It really makes no sense for Charlotte to take Scott. I think they take Miller. If that is the case, Portland will almost for sure trade out of the 3rd pick as Scoot and Amen are both terrible fits for them. We should be the team that trades up.

10. OremLK

OremLK Member

I wouldn't count on either team passing up on Scoot since the rule of thumb is "do not draft for need, take the best player available". However, I can sort of see Charlotte thinking Miller is the BPA (or at least in the same tier, which allows need to be the tiebreaker), and I can also sort of see Portland falling in love with Amen's upside and thinking he makes sense as a guy to develop behind Dame, similar to how we've talked about him potentially playing behind Harden for a couple years here.

I'm not going to get my hopes up but I think there's a slim chance Scoot simply falls to #4.

I can't imagine a better outcome than us getting a miffed, ultra-competitive Scoot Henderson with a chip on his shoulder since he thinks he should've gone first and fell to #4. Pray.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It makes more sense for Charlotte to take Henderson than for the Rockets to take him.

In Charlotte you have a catch and shoot guard almost as good as KPJ who struggles with injury. You draft Henderson to take some of the strain off of him and to create him some more high efficiency catch and shoot looks.

Ball's ability to shoot makes up for Henderson's shooting shortcomings.

In Houston, the only guy on the entire roster that can shoot is KPJ, so there's a weird fit. You can play KPJ at the 3.. but then you still have 2 guards that both can't shoot and both need the ball in their hands at all times because they can't really play off ball.

You can deal with one ball dominant guard that can't shoot, it's hard if you have 2 of them.

12. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

No, as I said in my previous post. Not all kids start kindergarten at 5. It's not that uncommon.

r-fan-since-81 likes this.
  13. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Let's stick to the question that I'm about to ask for a third time.

Do you believe that Morant and Fox ( who are both current stud players) are seeing lots of zone defenses? Do you believe that Morant and Fox have difficulty getting to the rim because they aren't good 3 point shooters?

Please answer those two simple questions.

14. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ok, so they were late starters. Either way, they are a year older than their peers in this draft and I would score that negatively.

15. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

Do we know for sure that they're at least playing legitimate competitive basketball games? Or is it just a highlight factory being used to prop up potential NBA players? Kinda worrying that a top 5 pick wouldn't be dropping 30 ppg against children.

Tuckmose likes this.
  16. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

OTE is super sketchy and whoever takes the Thompson twins will be the guinea pig to see if that system works.

17. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

You can easily watch their games (and workouts even), so make your own decision.

There's definitely a ton of transition play, which is far from ideal, but I don't think they are propping up guys. If anything, they defer a bit much to the other (non-Thompson) guys.

It was mentioned before, but I think they are trying to make a legit league, but it is just too early to have a league full of legit talent filling out rosters. I think guys like Somto Cyril, Alex Sarr, Rob Dillingham, etc., are decent young talents (Sarr a top 20 prospect in 2024 NBA draft?), but those guys are only on the "real" teams, and even then, you only get a few of those guys per team at most.

OremLK likes this.
  18. PatBev

PatBev Member

Amen’s 44’ vertical at the combine is 3rd best vertical in combine history

BaselineFade, OremLK and xaos like this.
  19. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I believe that was just 2 footed jump. I wonder what his 1 foot vertical is because its pretty damn high too.
    Not many athletes have both jumps high.

BaselineFade likes this.
  20. CantStopJG24

CantStopJG24 Member

I say we trade back

I don’t want the embarrassment of drafting Amen and he’s a generational bust. At least by trading down you don’t have to pick the leftover again.