1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Government showdown of 2023

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by astros123, May 9, 2023.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

If this negotiated deal can get past the trumspers in the House, it seems that the republicans in the Senate are ready to pass it...

2. NewRoxFan

3. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

And they say that with a straight face, they want to crash the economy so they can blame the WH and give trump sound bites.........................screw the old timers who need their check and benefits, screw the rest of America and the world............why, cause trump told them to. I cant see how anyone takes these clowns seriously. If trump and his minions could actually pass anything substantive, they would not need to do this

4. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

When the average individual is not up to speed on these issues, I guess they can do whatever they want and just ramp up the propaganda machine to blame others. Hasn't worked out too well at the polls lately though, but I guess if this is the route they want to take, they better damn well know that independents do pay attention to this **** and they will vote accordingly next go around.

Deckard and ROCKSS like this.
  5. Reeko

Reeko Member

they screw over their own base far more than any Democrat ever could

you’d swear no republicans have health care, need the VA, need SS, need Medicare, make minimum wage, or use insulin

I’m still waiting to hear how trickle down has helped them

now they want to purposely wreck the economy

6. astros123

astros123 Member

7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I brought this up in the other thread but I think many of them have no interest in governing. I think for many of them they either don’t really care or know enough, about the dangers of default or just figure that enough moderates of both parties will vote for it so disaster is avoided while they continue to throw out rhetoric.

8. astros123

astros123 Member

CBO reported today that the new deal will *INCREASE* the number on people of SNAP with the new exemptions on homeless and foster care children.

Republicans are about to approve one of the largest expansions of food stamps when they thought they were cutting it by adding some bogus work requirements.

Republicans got absolutely fleeced.

London'sBurning likes this.
  9. Reeko

Reeko Member

10. astros123

astros123 Member

This is why it's so funny that @AroundTheWorld and other right wingers are so obsessed over biden stumbles. The dude keeps picking up Ws after Ws cuz he's underestimated. He fleeced the Republicans

adoo and dmoneybangbang like this.
  11. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

https://thehill.com/business/4027206-cbo-finds-biden-mccarthy-debt-limit-deal-could-reduce-spending-by-1-5t-over-decade/

26 minutes ago
    CBO finds Biden-McCarthy debt limit deal could reduce spending by $1.5T over decade
    by Aris Folley

The Congressional Budget Office (CBO) on Tuesday said the debt ceiling deal negotiated by the White House and House GOP leaders could projected deficits by about $1.5 trillion over the next decade.

The nonpartisan budget scorekeeper estimated in a letter to congressional leaders on Tuesday that proposed spending limits for 2024 and 2025 would trim nearly $1.5 trillion from projected federal budget deficits from 2023 to 2033.

GOP leaders in the House had demanded spending restrictions in exchange for raising the debt ceiling. The legislation is headed for votes in the House and Senate ahead of a June 5 deadline set by Treasury Sec. Janet Yellen to prevent a possible default.

The CBO estimates are important in the coming debate as Democratic and GOP congressional leaders seek to secure votes for the package in Congress. Some conservatives have argued the bill does not cut spending enough, while some Democrats argue it goes too far.

“Reductions in projected discretionary outlays would amount to $1.3 trillion over the 2024–2033 period,” Congressional Budget Office (CBO) Director Phillip Swagel said in the letter. “Mandatory spending would, on net, decrease by $10 billion, and revenues would, on net, decrease by $2 billion over the 2023–2033 period.”

“As a consequence, interest on the public debt would decline by $188 billion,” he added.

As part of the legislation, dubbed the Fiscal Responsibility Act of 2023, the White House and House GOP leaders agreed to suspend the debt ceiling through next year, while also laying out budget caps for fiscal 2024 and 2025.

The bill also includes changes to work requirements for Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) and Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), and would claw back some unused coronavirus funds.

The bill would also pull some funding Democrats approved last year to help bolster enforcement and operations at the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). However, Democrats and budget experts said the investment greenlit as part of the Democrats’ Inflation Reduction Act would help boost revenue.

In the letter on Tuesday, Swagel said the CBO “anticipates that rescinding those funds would result in fewer enforcement actions over the next decade and in a reduction in revenue collections.”

12. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I haven't heard Mitch speak in a while; he's sounds really old.

ROCKSS, London'sBurning and B-Bob like this.
  13. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Welcome to our gerontocracy.

14. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I for one welcome our geezer overlords. ;)

Deckard, B-Bob and ROCKSS like this.
  15. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Why does it need to MAGA crowd. I am assuming some dems will vote for it. It should pass through even without full support

16. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Brother looking so sad in that image, maybe he can still be saved.

17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Yes. Its passage is a foregone conclusion. That gives some space for MAGA on the right and progressives on the left to grandstand and vote against it because they are safe in the knowledge that their protest votes will not actually default the country. Criticizing the extremists at both ends for endangering the country is also dumb because we should all know its just grandstanding. We don't need a unanimous vote, it just has to pass.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  18. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I am not sure why this popped up in my head when I read this quote, but did you ever have the pleasure of meeting Hedy Lamarr?

19. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Hahahaha. What a hotty, but I'm not quite that old.

Mrs. B-Bob looks not a little like Hedy though, true story, so your question is really on point!
    Interesting book about Lamarr's fascinating life.

Deckard and Space Ghost like this.
  20. NewRoxFan

Cutting social security and medicare? Campaign on that...

B-Bob and Deckard like this.