1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 Trade Targets

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Joe Joe, May 8, 2023.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Eloy is a better hitter than Chas. Though if you take into account juiced ball and park effects, the career OPS difference is probably a good 20-30 points bigger than if they had played in similar environments and times. Granted DH penalty probably is worth at least 10 points of OPS.

2. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Tyler Stephenson C Reds sounds like a call to me

3. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

All that would do is get Diaz sent down and give us an experienced back up.

And he would sit in the bench "in case Maldy gets hurt" and learn the pitchers while Maldy still keeps starting 75% of the time.

4. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I don’t believe there is a catcher in the majors that would convince Dusty to sit Maldonado. Let’s go after a tor starting pitcher and forget about the rest.

5. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Catchers on non-contenders with projected wOBA >.310 with <3 years of control left:
    Yasmani Grandal
    Salvador Perez
    Elias Diaz

1B/LF on non-contenders with projected wOBA >.320 w <3yrs control left:
    Josh Bell
    Carlos Santana
    Ji-Man Choi
    Connor Joe
    CJ Cron
    Yoan Moncada
    Jeimer Candelario
    Randal Grichuk
    Jurickson Profar
    Charlie Blackmon
    Austin Meadows
    Andrew McCutcheon

SP with projected xfip <4.20 on non-contenders with <3 years of control left:
    Shane Bieber
    Dylan Cease
    Lance Lynn
    Lucas Giolito
    Marcus Stroman
    Mitch Keller

6. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Not many pitchers there.

In fact, not much there to choose from at any position.

What is your definition of "non contender?"

I don't see Eloy Jimenez?

7. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

How much prospect capital do the Astros want to spend?

They have few prospects that move the needle when trading for an impact player.

A rental, regardless of talent (except Ohtani) will cost less than someone with control.

8. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I only included players with less than 3 years of control, hence Jimenez wasn’t on the list. I can see Chicago trading him, but it would be surprising.

I defined non-contender by currently having <20% chance of making the playoffs per fangraphs.

IdStrosfan likes this.
  9. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Jimenez has 1 year + 2 club options.

Team can just pay the buyout after 1 year, or even 2.

Depends on what your idea of "<3 yrs of control" is.

It's cool either way. I just mentioned him because @Nook brought him up earlier.

Nook likes this.
  10. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Wouldn’t mind seeing us make a smaller deal for Middleton is the Pale Hose sell

His velo is up and he seems like the kind of guy we could get a great few months out of

Nook and Snake Diggit like this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

What I was told is the White Sox front office is not wanting to sale yet on the off chance the team improves and Hahn saves his job. Having said that, the White Sox are very frustrated by Eloy and he is one of the players they want off the team and may not even pick up his option if for some reason he isn’t able to be moved.

The White Sox cast blame on a cliche of players and Robert, Moncada and Eloy are at the top of the list.
    Eloy is a vastly more talented hitter than Chas, it is just a matter of staying healthy. He doesn’t walk a lot, but is capable of a 900 OPS with a 300 average and 40 homers. Conditioning has until this season been a problem. He is a really bad outfielder. He needs to be a DH and maybe you can get him to on occasion be playable at first.

He is a massive man like Yordan Alvarez. He is deceptively big, like 6’5” and 250 lbs and he hasn’t adjusted to the 60 lbs he put on over the last 5 or so years.

He is a huge downgrade defensively and positionally. He isn’t the scraper that Chas is - but he is a major upgrade at the plate - he is probably 130-150 OPS+ type hitter if he gets 450-500 at bats.

I am agnostic on the move personally.

12. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Then why not push the chips in for Roberts?

13. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Who is Roberts?

14. Bregatron

Bregatron Member

Bip? Julia, so we can have two Julias? Maybe Dave, because he wants a new manager?

15. cbass

cbass Member

Maybe he means Luis Robert?

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Pretty much my view except I'm not quite as high on Eloy as hitter you are, and I would like to get him if it doesn't cost MLB talent or Gilbert as his bat would fit fine as a DH (i.e., he's much better than Julks). I do think the CWS will likely view him as more valuable than I do though which could kmean the cost would be too much.

Nook and whiskeyred like this.
  17. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

We don't have the chips to trade for a CFer on pace for just under a 6 fWAR season and under team control for 2 more seasons plus 2 more team option years after that. Unless you want to trade Hunter Brown....

A package built around Chas McCormick and Pedro Leon ain't getting that done.

Meyers is fine in CF and on pace for a 3 fWAR season. Get a corner outfield/1B/DH bat.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  18. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

I would think we could. McCormick and Leon would just be to see where they are and how much more we would need to add to get the price where it needs to be. Meyers and Julks could be the 4th and 5th Ofers. With Yordan in LF if Brantley comes back . There's to many options on what we could potentially do with Robert's in the Lineup. And he would fix a postion we have had problems with for awhile.

19. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

You could add Yanier Diaz or Korey Lee just to put them over the top. With the way Dusty Baker roles we still could look around while seeing what Lee or Diaz does for the rest of the year

20. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

We have a fine 1st base /DH his name is Diaz. What we need is a manager that will play him.