1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do Not Trade The 4th Pick! Draft A Top 4 Prospect

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CHAMPBOY, May 29, 2023.

?

Trade the Pick of Draft the Prospect?

1. Trade The Pick

32 vote(s)
    27.6%
  2. Draft the Prospect

84 vote(s)
    72.4%
  1. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

We have a chance to draft a elite player, this is a great draft! We have drafted very well and if we keep this draft pick we would have chosen the top 3 players in the last 3 draft. Name your top ten Prospects in the last 3 years of the NBA draft. Here is mine:

Top Ten

Wemby
    Bancheros
    Scoot
    Cade
    Jalen Green
    Mobley
    Amen
    Scottie
    Sengun and Chet….a tie

Rolliepollie likes this.
  2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

3. OremLK

OremLK Member

I have not heard a single name who could be available via trade who is worth the #4 pick, no. Siakam, Brown, Young, none of these second tier stars are good enough to be worth a pick of this caliber. If Luka, Giannis, or Embiid shakes loose then we can go all in and the front office can and should trade whatever they want to get a guy at that level.

Until then, just be patient and build for the future. We can pick up veterans in free agency or in smaller trades to build a more competitive product for this upcoming season.

4. carl_herrera

carl_herrera Member

In terms of market value (not my own evaluation of these players’ abilities), the #4 pick is likely our most valuable asset right now.

If another team had the #4 pick, we probably could not trade Jalen, Sengun, or Jabari for it straight up. Maybe I’m wrong.

To trade our most valuable asset, it would need to be for a star or near star-level player in the upswing of their career that we are guaranteed to have for multiple years on a fair value contract or better.

No high level role players, declining players, or expiring contracts.

It has to be someone that holds value themselves so that we know 2 or 3 years down the line, if our strategy shifts, we can trade them for a big return.

Otherwise we are lighting our best asset on fire. Franchise sabotage.

5. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I see the talent level in picks 1.4 to 1.10 to be about the same. If the Rockets trade 1.4 down but stay in that range, they will land a good prospect. For the Rockets to give up the 1.4 pick and not get their top pick in that range, the offer will have to be an overpay.

OIOW the Rockets should not make a trade to just make a trade.

Arnel and ExTexanNowEastCoast like this.
  6. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Wemby has MVP potential
    Scoot has All NBA potential
    Amen has ALL STAR potential
    Brandon Miller and Ausar Thompson are fringe(maybe) All STAR potential

Everybody else are great supporting players on teams in this draft

amaru likes this.
  7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Potential means they suck right now, we are trying to win, trade it for proven talent and watch our core get better as well.

DD

solid and persian hoopa like this.
  8. i3artow i3aller

Says the guy that would draft Lively at 4 :D
    [​IMG]

9. evo8lover

evo8lover Member

I’d say draft a point guard. Considering the pg free agent is kinda weak outside of old man harden.

10. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Amen Thompson is a elite PG. I do not care about Amen’s shooting. Bancheros could not shoot and he was named the ROY.

11. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Please don’t trade this pick and exhaust my patience with this rebuild. Trade up but don’t trade out. We need one more big swing at the draft. It’s unclear if we have a franchise player on this roster. I need Stone to do his job and get a franchise player out of this draft. Then we can trade for win-now guys. But not before taking one last swing.

12. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

off to the dumb list

13. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

comparing Paolo’s shooting coming into the draft to Amen’s is a significant false equivalency in my opinion. Paolo could shoot. Amen can’t. It’s a legit concern.

Sen89, amaru, Corrosion and 1 other person like this.
  14. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Sengun is the best player drafted between 2021 and 2023. If Udoka gives him the ball, he will have the best season of all players drafted in the last three years.

15. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

If Brandon Miller falls to 4 I’d trade back a few spots and draft Ausar, Jarace, or Cam instead.

16. Garner

Garner Member

I think you’re going to be sorely disappointed to watch us trade the #4 + more to get a player like Siakam/jaylen.

Siakam for the 4th and some is worth it. Give me a solid vet!

17. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

So every kid in the draft sucks?

Gas light much?

o_Oo_Oo_O

FLASH21, Arnel, JusBleezy and 2 others like this.
  18. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

That would be foolish Siakam has one year left on his deal i believe. Jaylen is All-NBA, it would take a lot more than 4 to make that deal. .. probably at least one of our young core plus multiple future firsts in a sign and trade

Arnel, JusBleezy and astros123 like this.
  19. TimDuncanDonaut

While I'm for Brown, unlike Siakim, BOS is not actively shopping him. There's no KD on the market, and POR is not offering Dame.

Brown himself was a 3rd pick. So Rockets offering # 4th for a formerly 3rd pick who is already developed. o_O

BOS wouldn't do it. Not with their win-now timeline.

On the Siakim thing, I can see the arguments against it, but putting your own feelings aside. And read the Rockets Org's intentions of wanting to improve win records next year. There are a few guys in the mid lottery, who are considered to be able to contribute immediately. But if you use the top 4, you're padding three more years in the timeline to know if this person pans out.

If you have a Siakim on a good contract, maybe.... maybe a slim chance to repackage something next year for Brown, or another star who might be free. Otherwise you only can deal with teams who decides to blow it up completely. (Nets picks)

We don't have pieces that win-now teams want. So we're never in the conversation unless we're the 3rd team and in those deals we're usually getting the table scraps. Three teams trades are also harder to come by.

In that tweet Raptors and Nets are in the conversation because they have win+now pieces. If we get someone like that, you can use him for your W/L and trade him in the future. Doesn't have to be Pascal but need to start playing chess by doing moves few steps ahead. As soon as you burn the 4th pick, you just used one of your more valuable trade pieces. I'd be fine with it if we have other movable pieces, but we don't, because most ppl here wants to keep Green, Bari and Sengun.

If Stone won some more deals in the last three tank years, we'd have something to offer that Portland actually wants when trying to get a Henderson. Now we're relegated to the kids table watching grownups eat.

This was the problem with HOU Harden trade, we only got picks back and not a promising young player(s). Nets got Mikal and Cam, and picks, so the use or trade players if the opportunity comes.

#19 TimDuncanDonaut, May 29, 2023
    Last edited: May 29, 2023
  20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Well yes, but we aren't trying to let guys develop now, we are trying to compete, anyone in the draft is at least 2 years away from helping and would be at best a bench jockey on this current team.

DD