1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Interesting astros stats thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Wulaw Horn, May 20, 2023.

1. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

Is the only knock against him is his height?

Every time I see or hear his name, it's always "he's ready".

2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

THe only knock on him is that he was injured most of last season, and has only played a quarter season
    of AA ball. He will be called up by the end of the season. Too late and crowded for him to be in the running for rookie of the year, so we will manipulate that service time.

3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Yordan currently has 48 RBI, which puts him on a 150 RBI pace. He's done this hitting behind Maldonado, Dubon and slumping Bregman.

The current franchise record in 136 by Berkman in 2006, could be an interesting thing to track. 124 is the record for a non killer B (Alou in 98).

4. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Diaz has a catcher era of 1 in Javier starts and a catchers era of 1 against the A’s which is weird because he can’t call a game and all the pitchers hate him.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I wouldn’t call yesterday’s game a master-class of pitching/catching expertise…. And it was the A’s. Maybe Javier was just off, but it was the worst he’d looked in awhile, and he likely gets knocked out much earlier if they’re facing a legit MLB team.

Diaz should get more looks at DH when he’s not catching France/Bielak, but the way they’re utilizing all the other bench guys with regularity, it’s a crowded field.

6. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

He needs to stay healthy.

RKREBORN likes this.
  7. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

I’ll trade all that individual accomplishments for another ring

conquistador#11 likes this.
  8. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

tucker has yet to hit a homer with men on base this season.

Tucker, please......

9. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Technically correct because men is plural, but the stat is no HRs with RISP

Most times it's been Abreu on 1st

10. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

26-4 when scoring at least 5 runs.
    2-2 when scoring exactly 4
    4-16 when scoring 3 or less.

everyday eddie and Wulaw Horn like this.
  11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Anybody have updated stats on steals, steal atempts, steal success %, and trends by month…. Truly want to see if one of the intended goal of the larger bases is actually coming to fruition.

(Anecdotally, I’m seeing a lot of runners getting gunned down featured daily on highlights… so if success rate isn’t going up, I’d expect eventually the attempts will go back down).

12. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Astros era is under 3 when Diaz starts and they are on a 110 win pace or something like that. but, he’s a terrible defensive catcher, all the pitchers hate him and Maldy should play 8 out of every 7 starts.
    If you don’t know that you are stupid and can’t understand baseball.

everyday eddie likes this.
  13. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Actually if you believe that then you are narrow minded and think you know more than professionals who make millions doing this and won a World Series last year despite you whining the same things.

14. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Diaz has proven he is not terrible at defense and I have not heard anything about anyone hating him.

Are you like 9 years old that you don't know that just because someone likes or even loves one person does not mean they dislike someone else?

15. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Huh? Did you miss the sarcasm just dripping off all this post? Those stats directly contradict the one thing anti- Diaz play maldy crowd every damn day says which is his soft skills suck so he should hardly play. There’s no reason for him not to play. A lot. I have no idea what you are saying. I didn’t suggest Maldy be shot into the sun. I said there is ZERO wrong with Diaz that makes him unplayable and ZERO reason not to start getting him very regular AB’s to see what you have so you have information you need before the break. It’s lunacy he doesn’t even have platoon type number of AB’s.

Houstunna and everyday eddie like this.
  16. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Bullshit. People detract from him on here to justify his shitty amount of playing time all the damn time.

17. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Ok. I missed the sarcasm.

But one thing that has been stated over and over again by the organization is that they do not use ANY stats to measure Maldy's value.

Therefore you can not use ANY stats to say he should play less.

I am excited for Diaz ( and Korey Lee actually) and hope he gets more playing time as the year goes on. But until he does I will be happy to watch Maldy.

18. Major

Major Member

Is this similar to how that Astros were total f***ing idiots for missing out on their only opportunity to solve their catcher position for the next 5 years by not signing a $17MM/yr 0.665 OPS catcher who's pitchers all revolted against?

marks0223 and Buck Turgidson like this.
  19. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Actually. The pitchers realized he was their best chance to win so accepted him back after only a few games.

It's probably more of a point for the Anti-Maldy guys.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  20. Major

Major Member

FWIW, they are losing again now - not necessarily tied to him. But really, they likely accepted him back because the organization is paying him $17MM for the next 5 years to be their catcher, not a 0.660 OPS DH. Same reason Abreu isn't getting benched.

The backup defensive catcher has a higher OPS than Contreras for the season and waaaay better in May (0.880 to 0.570). Contreras isn't playing for performance reasons.