1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets interested in Pascal Siakum?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, May 29, 2023.

1. jch1911

jch1911 Member

I don't totally love it, but I don't hate it.
    Moreover, I can appreciate the logic & critical thinking.

Fyreball, Arnel and Mathloom like this.
  2. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I'd be really surprised if we traded #4 for a player like Siakam.

I can't remember the last time a top 5 pick was traded without getting a legit star back or it being a small trade down.

If we trade for him with middling assets that could be ok but I'd rather focus on getting better shooting. The defense will have to improve from within to some degree.

3. OremLK

OremLK Member

If that was the package, I would be okay with it. I'm a little skeptical that KPJ is valued as much as Dinwiddie. Statistically it looks reasonable, but front offices are wary of his personality for a reason.

I would be more onboard if Siakam was a couple of years younger. I think there's a very high chance he just finished his career year and it's all downhill from here. After the next two seasons, it's very possible he's a husk of himself. We've seen it happen before many times with power forwards who are just outside true superstar level looking in.

On the other hand, we do need to consolidate assets. I don't see a place for KPJ on this team if we sign Harden (or any point guard who doesn't play defense).

I would just rather consolidate assets for a younger player who fits the timeline better. (Or to move up in the draft.)

Y2JT likes this.
  4. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

Surprised most of the interest seems focused on Siakam, Brown, and Harden (less so Harden given playmaking and ball handling). Given the talent we currently have I would think the focus should be on a 2-way center. Granted not many available, but I’d rather get a guy like Ayton on a discount and keep the #4.

Arnel likes this.
  5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

If you want to see delusions see what Raptor fans want for Siakam in their subredit.

They are scoffing at Raptor fans suggesting trade packages with Green and the 4th or Jabari and the 4th for Siakam. They are out of their freaking minds.

Drift Monkey, Arnel and BigShasta like this.
  6. Reeko

Reeko Member

Siakam would be a good addition

Harden/Amen
    Green/KPJ
    Bari/Tari
    Siakam/?
    Sengun/?

Tate, KJ, and the 20th pick are the only things I’d put on the table tho

7. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Siakam is a top 25 guy so I'd welcome him on the team. But similar to Brown, I wouldn't wanna give up a ton for him. He's peaked as a player.

8. fattz

fattz Member

Just wait and sign him next year and the assets. Could Walker out of U of H play the same role till Siakam is truly available? Remember Garuba can pass the ball, too. I like the thought process and system but maybe a little to early on Siakam.

Arnel likes this.
  9. fattz

fattz Member

Just wait and sign him next year and save the assets. Could Walker out of U of H play the same role till Siakam is truly available? Remember Garuba can pass the ball, too. I like the thought process and system but maybe a little to early on Siakam.

10. mario_v

mario_v Member

If the raptors want the 4th pick, it means they think Amen will be a star. Don’t trade the pick.

Little Bit likes this.
  11. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

Portland can keep Paskal Siakamand have KJ Martin. And Toronto can keep the 4th pick as long as we get the 3rd Pick if Scoot Henderson is available. Otherwise I’m finde drafting Amen Thompson.

12. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It would leave just enough money to sign Harden to a max contract. Or you might be able to get FVV for around $30m. Not sure what their relationship is like, but already having Siakam on the roster could entice him to sign here (there is going to need to be some incentive for any free agent we target).

13. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I think many on this board are underrating Siakam. I discussed a Harden/Siakam combo in another thread weeks ago. If Siakam would agree to an extension, I’d definitely consider it. The dude is legit — he basically averaged 26/8/6 last season.

A lineup of Harden/Green/Siakam/Smith/Sengun immediately gets us back in the playoff picture, and we have the Nets’ assets going forward. I might feel differently if I had confidence in Amen, but I don’t.

HTownTmac1 and Ancient Moabite like this.
  14. carl_herrera

carl_herrera Member

Siakam will not sign an extension.

He can’t sign anything for 6 months after being traded.

He can make $40M more on his next contract if he makes All-NBA again next season and signs his next contract as an unrestricted free agent.

saleem likes this.
  15. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Gosh that would be terrible. I would go from not hating that to totally hating that. You completely lose a big part of the equation that Dallas/we would have which is that if Siakam walks we open up cap space again. There's no mandate to spend all the money. We're just trying to build a team that has a shot at making the playoffs if everything goes well. If we miss the playoffs on our first attempt, it won't be a catastrophe although it may feel like one.

You just go with that roster and let the young players make their big scoring leaps. There's barely enough shots for Green/Sengun/Siakam. There's already 3 playmakers on the floor whoever is at PG. What would we sign Harden of all people for? Give me someone at PG with 0 ego, plays defense and makes open 3's. You have to make space for the fact that our two bigs are going to have the highest usage at PF/C in the league.

#35 Mathloom, May 29, 2023
    Last edited: May 29, 2023
  16. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

KPJ isn't valued as much as Dinwiddie, that's why we're coughing up an extra young player (KJ) and overall giving them younger assets.

I'm ok with Siakam gradually getting older. The rest of the roster is ultra young and he's just the 3rd scorer (down from being the top scorer on his team and the 2nd scorer on a title team).

Personally I don't want to get another young player. I want some an older player or two on the roster, it's part of maturing as a roster. Look at the first Celtics ECF team when Tatum/Brown were young, they were surrounded by excellent vets. That's more the formula I'm hoping for.

BamBam and theDude like this.
  17. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I'll challenge the Dinwidde being more valuable than KPJ claim.

I think KPJ's off court mental health issues are slowly getting behind him as he's settling down and we haven't heard a negative thing off court about him in a while while also being active in the community and organization in the off-season.

So if GMs can resolve their perception of KPJ as a headcase then KPj is a significantly younger arguably more talented player than Dinwidde

Mathloom, Ancient Moabite and ElPigto like this.
  18. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Couple of years ago he was a black hole drive mostly guy.....guess he has opened his game since.

I wouldn't give too much on a rental player.
    Tate, Kenyon, TyTy, Nix, Sengun, Garuba depending
    on draft picks

but

not Green, Jabari, Tari

Ancient Moabite and Arnel like this.
  19. wlekfjv923n

wlekfjv923n Member

This is it. Why waste assets when you can add for free

20. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I don't even see any reason to trade Sengun for a rental.