1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ready The Clown Car: The First Batch of Democrats Are Ready To Announce Their 2024 Bids

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by MojoMan, Apr 19, 2022.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The whole purpose of this thread is for @MojoMan to keep bumping it so he can insult Democrats with the stupid title.

jiggyfly likes this.
  2. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Yvette Simpson: "Overwhelmingly" Unpopular Biden Should Not Run, It "Has To Be" Kamala Harris In 2024

During a conversation Sunday on ABC's "This Week" roundtable about the potential Trump-Biden matchup in 2024, "Democracy For America" CEO Yvette Simpson said Vice President Kamala Harris "has to be" the Democratic nominee.

"I think that he should not run," Simpson said about Biden. "His numbers are really low, overwhelmingly."

Vice President Harris "should have been positioned powerfully and able to actually be a person that could be lead, and she’s been in the back," Simpson complained. "They've got to do a lot of work to get her in the seat so that we can see her powerful, and that should be the work that we should be doing right now."

"I think that she should be empowered to be the leader. She’s powerful. She’s young. She’s able to get the energy, but we have not seen her strong and I don't know why the Biden administration didn't position her that way."

She also said about President Biden: "When folks rallied around him to be the president, there was the expectation that he would not run again, that he would actually empower someone to run. Who that person is going to be, I don't know."

3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I wonder how much money Harris is paying here.

I have never seen a VP fall off the map like Harris, I can't wait to read what happened behind the scene, I would not be surprised if Harris purposefully went underground thinking she would not get any Biden stink on her for a run in 2024 and miscalculated and is getting no shine instead.

Anyway, she will never be the nominee.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Biden Is No Sure Thing for 2024. What About Buttigieg? Harris? Even Whitmer?

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/10/opinion/biden-democrat-2024.html

excerpts:

Pay the closest attention to …
    Kamala Harris

Pete Buttigieg

Gretchen Whitmer

Keep an eye on …
    Amy Klobuchar

Elizabeth Warren

Roy Cooper

Sherrod Brown

J.B. Pritzker

Ro Khanna

I’m just not feeling it …
    Bernie Sanders

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

Gavin Newsom

Mitch Landrieu

Michelle Obama

I’m intrigued …
    Mark Kelly

Raphael Warnock

Jared Polis

Jon Tester

Andy Beshear

more at the link

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Biden said he will run again. I think he has been a fine president. I'm not looking for an alternative. I think a lot of democrats are just worried that 'other people' won't vote for him. But I don't see a good reason to just dump an incumbency advantage because you're afraid of what other people might think.

6. CCorn

CCorn Member

Sadly from what I’ve heard from his family, Mark Kelly is not interested in running.

7. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Uncle Festerman24.

8. CCorn

CCorn Member

I imagine he has too many skeletons in his closet from his early comedy days, and the left actually cares about those things, to ever run. But man, I’d love to see him on a national debate stage.

ROCKSS and FranchiseBlade like this.
  9. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Cartoonishly stupid idea, even if he gets to take his writers with him.

10. CCorn

CCorn Member

Politicians have writers too.

11. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Making fun of stroke victims is a great look. I'm sure that will keep working for you guys.

12. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Jon a Stewart probably doesn’t want the position.

13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Why do you guys post in a thread with this title - make a new thread and refuse to give into this

Deckard likes this.
  14. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

do you not consider Williamson and Kennedy "clowns"?

15. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Its a look that has more closely reflected the guy at the top of his ticket. And what else do you have when the stars of the republican party are mtg, boebert, gaetz, etc...

16. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

17. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

https://www.wsj.com/articles/if-bid...p-rematch-500342d0?mod=hp_opin_pos_2#cxrecs_s

If Biden Bows Out, How About Michelle Obama?
    Hillary Clinton’s political machine is formidable, but another first lady would be the strongest candidate.
    By Douglas Schoen and Andrew Stein
    May 14, 2023 at 2:05 pm ET

Donald Trump’s spirited performance in last week’s CNN town hall, combined with recent polls, has some Democrats realizing he could be elected president again in 2024. The latest ABC News/Washington Post poll finds President Joe Biden with a 36% approval rating and trailing Mr. Trump by 6 points in a race for the White House. We aren’t the only Democrats considering alternatives and wondering: If not Mr. Biden, who should be the nominee?

To be sure, Mr. Biden will remain a candidate as long as he is both physically able and politically viable. But if his poll numbers drop further, or if his health markedly deteriorates, it is possible that Democratic leaders in Congress will encourage him not to seek re-election. Unfortunately for the president, the majority of the country—including many Democratic voters—are already on board with making that case.

Nearly two-thirds of American adults believe Mr. Biden lacks either the mental sharpness (63%) or the physical health (62%) to serve effectively as president, as per the ABC News/Washington Post poll. While Democratic voters are less likely to express doubts about Mr. Biden’s mental and physical fitness, 58% want their party to nominate someone other than Mr. Biden in 2024, according to an earlier ABC News/Washington Post poll.

Such sentiments will only increase in coming months as the U.S. economy teeters on the brink of a recession, or if Mr. Biden’s personal challenges, such as his son Hunter Biden’s legal issues, become more apparent and potentially disabling.

If Mr. Biden can’t run for re-election, his natural successor is Vice President Kamala Harris. But Ms. Harris is even less popular than the president: Only 35% of registered voters have a favorable opinion of her compared with 41% for Mr. Biden, according to a recent Wall Street Journal poll. Ms. Harris’s approval rating in November 2021 hit a historic low for any modern vice president, and she is viewed much less favorably than her four predecessors at the same point in their respective tenures.

Furthermore, Mr. Trump trounces Ms. Harris in a general election match-up. According to a Harvard CAPS-Harris poll released this year, Mr. Trump leads Ms. Harris by 10 points, 49% to 39%.

Who, then, could run—and win—for Democrats?

Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg comes to mind, as he sought the nomination in 2020. But Mr. Buttigieg’s reputation has been tarnished by his department’s mishandling of the train derailment in East Palestine, Ohio, and by the Federal Aviation Administration’s computer-system failure in January, which grounded thousands of flights across the country.

Moreover, aside from Ms. Harris, no one in the Biden administration is a realistic option for the top of the ticket. If Mr. Biden were to decide against running, it would likely be late in the process, making it almost impossible for him to deny Ms. Harris the nomination while putting his political weight behind another administration official.

Should Mr. Biden decide late this year or early next not to run, it would be difficult for the most visible Democratic governor, Gavin Newsom of California, to mount a viable and well-financed campaign quickly. Similar hurdles exist for lower-profile, but successful, Democratic governors such as Laura Kelly of Kansas and Gretchen Whitmer of Michigan.

The only Democrats with a reasonable shot of winning the presidency are those with immediate fundraising potential and national name recognition.

Hillary Clinton might want to run again and could be one of Democrats’ best options. Mrs. Clinton’s political machine is formidable, and few—if any—other Democrats could quickly raise the money and assemble an organization to mount a national campaign.

That being said, should Mr. Trump become the nominee, a repeat of the 2016 campaign would be even less palatable to the country than a 2020 rematch. Mrs. Clinton, at 75, also isn’t much younger than the president she would be vying to succeed.

Mrs. Clinton has always struggled with her popularity, which fell even lower after she lost the presidency. Her favorability rating hit a record low years after the 2016 election and was recorded in 2018 by Gallup at 36%, no better than Mr. Biden or Ms. Harris now. Gallup noted that Mrs. Clinton’s favorability among Democrats had dropped 10 points since November 2016.

A Zogby Analytics poll released last year found that if Mr. Biden were to bow out in 2024, Mrs. Clinton would be a distant third choice for Democratic primary voters, behind Ms. Harris in second place. The favorite is the only Democrat with broad national appeal: Michelle Obama.

Mrs. Obama is popular within the Democratic Party. She left the White House with a 68% favorability rating nationally and was one of the most admired women in the U.S. from 2018 through 2020, according to Gallup polls. With a broad network of supporters and the ability to resurrect Barack Obama’s political organization, she would be the strongest candidate by far.

While Mrs. Obama has expressed no desire to seek national office, she may be persuaded to jump in if Mr. Biden can’t run and Mr. Trump appears close to returning to the White House.

The most likely 2024 scenario is that Mr. Biden will see his re-election bid through to the end, win or lose. Even so, we’ll be doing ourselves a disservice if we don’t consider a backup plan.

Mr. Schoen was a senior adviser to Bill Clinton’s 1996 campaign, a White House adviser (1994-2000) and an adviser to Hillary Clinton’s 2000 U.S. Senate campaign. Mr. Stein, a Democrat, served as New York City Council president, 1986-94.

18. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

19. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't see why it bothers you so.

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I agree. This is the only post I'll be making here.

You have be be kidding.

Sweet Lou 4 2 likes this.