1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Three predictions for an important Rockets offseason

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Apr 6, 2023.

1. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

Alp will finish his NBA career better than Jaylen Brown's career. As Celtic's FO historically more competent than Rox', I would not surprise if Celt' forces for Brown+Sengun swap with some kind of sidekicks.

Bad for Houston, good for Alp&Boston&Basketball.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  2. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Delusional thinking celtics would trade brown for sengun, brown is worth more than sengun. They also don't need sengun since Robert Williams 3 is doing a fine job as the starting center.

3. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wouldn’t be a Clutch post without Alperen being tossed in the trade machine.

4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

@Clutch is the no. 1 Rockets fan, so it makes me a bit sad.

cml750 and RudyTBag like this.
  5. maypk

maypk Member

Yeah, most of the GMs think the same way you are. That's why they end up picking Marvin Bagley over Luka and picking random ass trash dudes over Jokic.

As you said, Alperen is far away from reaching their levels but basketball skills and basketball iq have always been more important than "elite physical gifts" and they will always be.

AlperenSengun and RudyTBag like this.
  6. OremLK

OremLK Member

They are both really important. Some of the greatest basketball players have also been some of the most physically-gifted basketball players, like MJ, Kareem, and our own Hakeem Olajuwon. They were also, of course, incredibly skilled players. That's why they are among the greatest of all time--the combination of both elite physical talent and elite skills/IQ.

The thing is, when you're talking about unproven players, it's much easier to judge raw physical talent than it is to judge how high-level skills and IQ are. It's relatively easy to measure a guy's height and wingspan, max vert, lane agility times, things like that. You can look at those kinds of things and compare them in a material way to existing NBA players. It's harder to tell how well skills will translate to the highest level in professional basketball because they're innately less measurable. Even something that seems measurable like shooting ability can really change in effectiveness when you factor in NBA-caliber defenders and their ability to contest and change shots. Let alone things like playmaking, post moves, etc.

Shark44 likes this.
  7. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Such Rubbish ! Y

8. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

As Alp will progress more and more, I will remember you/your shortsightedness/basketball illiteracy.

Another infamous D List member. What can you expect? Once a D, always a D.

9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

He is 85, show some respect please

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

11. Killatron 2000

Killatron 2000 Punk Rocket

My psychic said we will hire Severo as the next Rockets HC, draft the number 2 pick, and sign DMO. Go Rockets!

B-Bob, TimDuncanDonaut and J.R. like this.
  12. wlekfjv923n

wlekfjv923n Member

@Clutch i'm curious how your predictions may have changed, if any, with what's happened since the article - udoka, 4th pick, playoff results, etc

txppratt and xtruroyaltyx like this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Severo Udoka.

Killatron 2000 likes this.
  14. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Only thing I can see changing is maybe Sengun being shopped. Maybe. But that was 60% anyways. Silas was already fired, KPJ is probably not going to be pg that was 80% prediction.

Interested to know if there are any new predictions.

wlekfjv923n likes this.
  15. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

16. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

Our Rockets, Our Alp. Love it or leave it.

17. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

love it or leave it??? Sheesh

18. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Two of my favorite players are Magic Johnson and Larry Bird. Both guys had elite skills and BBIQ, and were above average, but not elite athletes. Their era transformed the game and provided some of the most entertaining basketball I've ever watched.

The game has changed since Magic's and Bird's hay day, but there is still a place for really gifted players with high BBIQs and not elite athleticism. As we get ready for the NBA finals, Denver's Nikola Jokic reminds me of those all-time greats, not an elite athlete, but supremely skilled and uncannily smart on the court. I lived in Colorado for a decade and remember the young Joker and not being over impressed by him, especially physically. Boy did he develop and Nurkic the guy who looked better initially never got much better. There are a few others across the league, but we have our own to develop in Sengun.

Alpi certainly is not elite athletically, but he hustles and has a little Gumby nuance to his game. His court vision and post up game for a center are incredible and should only get better with good coaching and a better system. I'm surprised by so many on CF who want to trade him or Green, makes no sense to me. I can see our young core truly becoming good under Coach Udoka's tutelage. I'm really excited for next season, no matter what we do with #4.

19. TimDuncanDonaut

On that graph where Wembyland (i'm guessing his euro team) has better OFF/DEF efficiency than DET, HOU and SAS. :D

#239 TimDuncanDonaut, May 28, 2023
    Last edited: May 28, 2023
  20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

2 out of 3 aint bad

DD