1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[EC Finals] (2)Boston vs. (8)Miami

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., May 14, 2023.

?

(2)Celtics vs. (8)Heat

Poll closed May 19, 2023.
  1. Celtics in 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Celtics in 5

15.0%
  3. Celtics in 6

20.0%
  4. Celtics in 7

12.5%
  5. Heat in 7

25.0%
  6. Heat in 6

20.0%
  7. Heat in 5

2.5%
  8. Heat in 4

5.0%
  1. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Heat vs Nuggets would be terrible- Nuggets would probably sweep. With the Celtics, you are probably going to get a 6 or 7 game series.

chadyang likes this.
  2. Manny Ramirez

dp

#802 Manny Ramirez, May 28, 2023
    Last edited: May 28, 2023
  3. dmoneybangbang

Damn.... really dislike Boston and Lakers..... Almost went 0 for 2 for making it to finals.

There's a small hope for Heat....

DreamShook, JumpMan and B-Bob like this.
  4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I think the hope has four parts:
    (1) Hard to beat a team four times in a row.
    (2) All pressure on Boston now.
    (3) Spo a better coach (based on history, but that's starting to feel shaky).
    (4) Tatum and Brown can really disappear at times. Tatum in particular is not prone to putting a set of good games together in a row.

I liked the Heat interviews after the game actually. They play better and looser as underdogs (like when the series started).

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Yeah, but the guy gets props for mentioning That Shot. IMO. Eliminated the defending champs on their home court!

6. Manny Ramirez

I am going to disagree with you B-Bob - I think all the pressure is on the Heat. The Celtics are in their head and losing Game 6 the way they did…

It reminds me of the 1986 World Series - the Red Sox had it until the ball went through Buckner’s legs in Game 6. Sure the series was tied but everyone knew after the way Game 6 ended, that the Red Sox had no chance of winning Game 7.

7. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

Hello “dumbass” :D

8. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

HIMMY butler!

[​IMG]

Hes him!

9. B-Bob

That's logical, and my points are also somewhat logical, so we'll see!

$20 Tipjar and one month sig bet? I'll take the Heat to beat the spread (so win outright, or lose by 8 or less). Whadya say? :D

#809 B-Bob, May 28, 2023
  10. B-Bob

Fun to revisit: the guy had such great hands, and a thicker body than Wem(p)y

11. solid

solid Contributing Member

Really hard to read this series. I can't recall a series where one team won three in a row, and then the other team won three in a row. The typical is a home and away split to start. It "looks" like Boston is sitting pretty. BUT, it is really hard to beat a professional team four times in a row. Boston is the better team overall, so, UNLESS they hit a cold streak and can't hit a shot, they are the favorite.

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Yeah, he would be amazing in today's NBA, in my opinion. @Dr of Dunk likes to rib him when Ralph comes up in a thread for how often he'd decide to bring the ball up. For 7'4", he had a pretty decent handle, but yes, he could get carried away. Given time without the injuries, I think he would have straightened that out, played more within his capabilities, and for his size, Sampson had incredible capabilities.

People who didn't see him play will sometimes compare Sampson to these very tall, skinny players who have come up lately, including Wemby. Ralph wasn't built the same way. He was more filled out, being 228lbs coming out of college, but more in the mid-230's by the time of that '86 Finals series against the Celtics, in my opinion.

He was a legitimate 7'4", too! A perfect partner for Dream. The pair is the quintessential "what if" and for a brief time, the true Twin Towers.

#812 Deckard, May 28, 2023
    i3artow i3aller, Easy and solid like this.
  13. Manny Ramirez

I’m not a betting man but because it is you, B-Bob- sure I will accept your challenge:D

14. B-Bob

I'm not much of a betting man either, but if it is any extra consolation: I always lose when I pick a team like this.

Manny Ramirez likes this.
  15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Hey, I'm not a Ralph hater, but I think people tend to glorify the "good ol' days" a bit much. Ralph was frustrating as hell because he didn't want to play the post and wanted to play like a guard at 7'4" which just led to turnovers or stupid plays a lot of the time. It used to drive fans and coaches nuts. "Dude, stay in the post and hit a hook shot! Nobody can block that crap!" Fitch used to hate that mess.

But... he was the Wembanyama of those days, but Wemby's handle is obviously much better than Ralph's. Then again, nobody expected a centerish player to be bringing the ball up the court in those days. He was a supreme talent coming out of high school and college, though. Even in the NBA, he was a really good player, but I just want to be realistic about him. lol.

BTW, people calling Wembanyama a beanpole and Ralph more developed - Gene Peterson used to call Ralph "Stick" during the broadcasts, if that's any indication. Ralph played around 220-230 from what I remember. Wembanyama is currently around 7'5" and almost 240 lbs from the latest I've read. Back when Wemby was around 16 or 17 and I started reading about him, I'm not sure he was over 200 lbs, yet. I saw him and thought he'd be snapped in two by a strong breeze. Even the Thompson Twins have packed on weight in a couple of years, it seems. I don't know wth they're feeding these kids, but the training must be nuts.

Deckard likes this.
  16. B-Bob

[​IMG]

Leave the Thompson Twins out of this!

And Wemby is listed at 209 right now, 20 pounds lighter than Ralph, (a true stick, yes) at a similar age.
    But whatever. Either his joints can take the NBA or they can't. We will see. But Ralph entered the NBA in a much skinnier era.

Manny Ramirez likes this.
  17. i3artow i3aller

18. tksense

tksense Member

People give butler credit for overachieving esp with a lack of star teammates.

FWIW, Butler narrowly lost to Celtics in ECF by 4 in game 7 just last year. his game 6&7 stats are: 47pt 16-29fg, 35pt 13-24fg.

we'll see how he does this time around.

19. ShiniKashi

ShiniKashi Member

home court though

solid likes this.
  20. tksense

tksense Member

every Miami game so far this playoffs has been a surprise. will the trend continue?