1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022/2023 mock Trade/Draft/Free agency thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sydmill, May 31, 2022.

1. OremLK

OremLK Member

I think you'd probably look to add a veteran point guard to that lineup this year, and at least one other veteran (Brook Lopez?). I was more thinking of that being the future championship contender lineup in a few years.

2. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

10 is a pretty good spot in this draft . But depends on who is there

I love Tate . But Reggie is an OK vet too .

the problem is that I think the rockets should try to improve .

if we pick at 4 and 10 , that’s great from a talent standpoint.. but probably sets your timeline back a bit . Another 2 young guys to develop .

What are we doing with our cap space . How are we developing these guys . Sending them to g-league for a year ?

Corrosion likes this.
  3. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Yeah interesting to think about. By the time they are good enough to compete at that level i don't know how you pay everyone. They would cannibalize each other's numbers and/or an issue is they all want to get paid. When you have a 2nd pick, 2 3rd picks, a 4th pick and the deity known as Sengun.

That is where a player like Eason comes in. Someone that fits in as a high quality role player (maybe) Or, maybe Jabari doesn't get the max but instead a nice contract and is more of a high quality role player of the mold of the perfect playoff player. I sure bet he doesn't see himself as that as he continues to put in work to improve these next 2 seasons.

4. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

10 is a pretty good spot in this draft . But depends on who is there

I love Tate . But Reggie is an OK vet too .

the problem is that I think the rockets should try to improve .

if we pick at 4 and 10 , that’s great from a talent standpoint.. but probably sets your timeline back a bit . Another 2 young guys to develop .

What are we doing with our cap space . How are we developing these guys . Sending them to g-league for a year ?

5. OremLK

OremLK Member

Too much of a good thing? :p It's a fair concern, and I was really just spitballing (don't think it's realistically possible to get a second top 5 pick without giving up core players). That said, I think it's pretty likely at least one of that group of prospects, and probably two or more, turn out to be more of high-level roleplayers than max-level stars.

peleincubus likes this.
  6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That is the concern and that no hardware was won when everyone was kind of affordable.

7. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Do you think Joker plays defense? I think it's more about effort and positioning with most bigs in today's game. Also, your rotations aa a team. Somehow Denver is vying for a title without a single good dender except KCP.

8. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I was thinking about this too, but you have to take into consideration Jokic is the exception. Jokic has no weaknesses whatsoever on offense, great rebounder, decent shotblocker with size AND he's arguably one of the best passers of all time. No FT issues. No 3pt issues. Can hit the floater, decent mid range game. On top of that he's 100% effort on defense regardless of the effectiveness. Sabonis for example can't do what Jokic can do. Neither can KAT.

So sure, if you can do all that then it's possible to win with a C that doesn't play defense. He hasn't won it yet. I don't think anyone else has ever won a title without an excellent rim protector.

Hemingway and saleem like this.
  9. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

What about Kristaps Porzingis?

Rudyc281 likes this.
  10. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

I like Gabe Vincent. He’d be a nice pickup at PG. He’s an UFA.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  11. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I like it! You could get a real difference-maker at #10 in this draft.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  12. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Too injury prone

leebigez likes this.
  13. CantStopJG24

CantStopJG24 Member

Gabe seems like a good piece to add when you already have a foundation and decent team. I don't think we're there yet.

14. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Giving it more and more thought, I think the simplest and obvious choices are likely the right ones. Its not exciting, but it's practical.

- Waive Daishen Nix
    - Draft Amen Thompson at 4
    - Draft Derek Lively at 20
    - Sign Harden 3 years, Max, but declining (47m, 44.5m, 42.3m)
    - Sign Brook Lopez 1 year 18.8m

Harden / Amen / TyTy
    Green / KMJ / Christopher
    KPJ / Eason / Tate
    Jabari / Garuba
    Lopez / Sengun / Lively

- Harden and Lopez should make your offense and defense good enough to compete for the playin, getting the kids good experience.
    - Pressure off of Amen, who can learn / develop in a limited role behind an all time great, and take the reigns in his year 3.
    - You can see what KPJ brings off ball / spot up shooting.
    - Defensive pressure off of Green, who should have some freedom to flesh out his game as an off ball guy (in preparation for playing w/ Amen)
    - Jabari should slot nicely defensively next to Lopez and can learn from a great defender, as well as get plenty of open threes to work on shooting.
    - Sengun can run the bench unit, with plenty of defensive support / cutters
    - Next offseason, by waiving Tate and KPJ, you can have upwards of 60m for OG, Siakim, Brown, etc in free agency.

Rudyc281, OremLK and carl_herrera like this.
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That would be indeed funny, Lillard not going to pass to Harden and Harden returning the favor.

Green is giggling already.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Lively not going to call it practical, being buried deep on the bench, becoming a 3rd stringer while his stock is rising.

17. carl_herrera

carl_herrera Member

Yeah, agree some version of this is the obvious and correct path.

- Harden at something less than the max with an out at 3 years or less
    - A veteran defensive center to platoon with Sengun (Lopez or Capela via trade)
    - A veteran wing that can shoot (Cam Johnson maybe S&T, Bruce Brown, Royce O’Neale)
    - Pat Bev with the room exception
    - Draft one of Scoot / Miller / Amen; whoever’s left at #4
    - Draft Lively if he’s there at #20 and you still have your pick

IMO this would be very exciting. Competitive games all season. Competent offense and competent defense. Four 21 year olds with major star potential being put in a position to shine. All major assets still in hand. Max space potential next summer. Let’s go.

OremLK and saleem like this.
  18. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

No please.

19. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Please send this to Tilman, Patrick, Stone and Ely ASAP. I would also like to acquire Conley if Harden isn't available.

20. OremLK

OremLK Member

If we're going to sign Harden no matter what anybody tells Tilman then I'm fine with this plan, although that defense is going to be atrocious unless Ime can work some miracles with Green & KPJ. Would be nice to have somebody who can play some D at the 3 spot.