1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Amen Thompson tank thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OremLK, Apr 19, 2023.

1. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

24 feet is well behind the 3 point line, are 30 footers that common for 24 to be the mean?

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

Makes sense actually. We’re so accustomed to it now but guys are shooting well beyond the line we just don’t really consciously keep track. And take into the account the corners are shorter

don grahamleone likes this.
  3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Seems bizarre on the surface. Unless "jumpshot" means something other than dunks/putbacks or something. Here is a shot distribution by team this past regular season. You'd have to be shooting nothing but a bunch of 60-footers to average those dunks and layups out to be over 24 feet. And that would have to be for every team. But maybe I'm missing something.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The NBA Draft I feel like is a Deja Vu and you basically have the same convos with sort of the same people every year and again and again.

Unless it is a generational or close to a generational talent those convos can be discarded.

The NBA really needs a relegation system and a minor farm team league, just have new ideas to talk about.

MadMax and amaru like this.
  5. i3artow i3aller

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I eat some broccoli too.

Had to skip to Whitmore, Hawkins and Jarace, they are at the end.

#766 daywalker02, May 27, 2023
    Last edited: May 27, 2023
  7. i3artow i3aller

8. Reeko

Reeko Member

I’m fine with Amen starting his career off the bench playing limited minutes since we’re actually trying to win now

Harden/Amen
    Green/KPJ
    Cam or Grant/Tari
    Bari/KJ
    Sengun/?

9. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

I like your starting lineup but I would switch KPJ AND Grant, because I believe KPJ is going to start….because he will start “acting up” in the practices and games

10. OremLK

OremLK Member

Doesn't seem to fit with Udoka's reputation to think he would give in to a guy acting up in practice

roslolian likes this.
  11. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

I see Harden as a ALL STAR, and Sengun or Green as the other ALL STAR this year. If KPJ would act right, he could be 6th Man of the year…we make the playoffs and make it too the 2nd round…..game 7

Ancient Moabite likes this.
  12. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Honestly, I see KPJ, Tate and KJ in a sign and trade with Philadelphia…

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://hoopshype.com/lists/2023-aggregate-nba-mock-draft-brandon-miller-taylor-hendricks-rising/

Amen Thompson – who told reporters at the combine he can make an immediate rookie impact with his ability to get into the paint, facilitate, and lock up on defense – was the fourth overall pick in eight of the 10 mock drafts polled.

“Amen’s ultra-athletic and super twitchy,” his brother, Ausar, said when asked by HoopsHype to give a scouting report. “ I’ve never seen anybody move where they stop and go so quickly.”

As for what the future could hold for Thompson, he modeled parts of his game after four All-Stars.

“I take things from Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, Ja Morant, LeBron James, and De’Aaron Fox,” Thompson said. “SGA can get to his spot whenever he wants and create contact first so nobody can contest his shot and learn how he scores in the paint because he barely shoots a lot of threes.”

Thompson met with Portland and Orlando at the combine.

With Houston aggressively set to pursue James Harden in free agency and a mandate to improve the team in the immediate future, rival executives expect this pick to be heavily discussed in trade talks with a decent chance of being moved for a win-now player.

14. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

My initial assumption is that a jumpshot doesn't factor in dunks, layups, floaters, scoops (etc). It is only the set shot

It still seems bizarre

Perhaps it doesn't even include off the dribble jumpers?

15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

16. OremLK

OremLK Member

If the front office really likes the twins, and it sounds as though they do if you believe Iko actually knows what they're thinking (regardless of his ridiculous fake trades), then you have to think they're pretty happy with the choices at #4

17. Reeko

Reeko Member

1. Amen Thompson | 6-7 lead guard | 20 years old | Overtime Elite
    Scout’s take: Gives you a lot of credibility on the defensive end based on the competitiveness, size and tools. Offensively, the fit is going to be unique because while he can playmake and is an athletic finisher, he’s limited by his shooting ability. But I do think he would be a great help as far as defensively, athletically. The offensive fit might be a bit challenging.

From The Athletic: Outside of the aforementioned names, it’s easy to see why Amen’s upside has folks at full attention.

It’s sometimes challenging juxtaposing fit and the best player available, especially for a team like Houston that is trying to move between phases, but there’s a reason why so many within the Rockets organization are so enamored with him. Everything about him oozes potential. The defensive intensity and attention to detail. The explosiveness and athleticism. The ballhandling and playmaking. It’s hard to not see those qualities in a young player and not envision what he could look like next to Jalen Green, a gifted young scorer and elite athlete. There are those who will deem the fit clunky but there are always ways to maximize talent. Introduce more cutting, off-ball actions, etc.

Yes, I understand the shooting concerns. He’s shown some midrange flashes but I know some of the mechanics might be a bit off. But who comes into the league as a complete player? And let’s be honest, it’s not like he’d be walking into a team full of ready-made shooters. Houston has some roster reworking to do but more importantly, it needs talent. Amen is a talented player who can flat-out jump out of the gym. We’ll see how his defense translates to the next level, but he has all the tools of an impactful ball-stopper. Active hands. Lateral quickness. Shiftiness. It’s there.

At the NBA Combine, Amen spoke like a man who knows his worth and talent. He’s confident in himself and what he brings to the table. Of all of the names you’ll see here, I wouldn’t be that surprised if his name was called in the top three on draft night. But that would of course mean that one of Miller or Henderson would be on the board in which case, that player would be in a Houston uniform.

didn’t even bother reading what was said about the other options at 4 like Whitmore, Walker, and Black because meh

Little Bit, bmelo, jim1961 and 3 others like this.
  18. MystikArkitect

Imagine tanking 3 years to get the #2, #3 and #4 picks to draft talent you pretty much can't get any other way....only to trade that talent to appease a 34 Y.O. Harden with a role player.

Rockets are drafting at #4. They aren't trading it for anyone they can't just trade those Nets picks for (Bridges).

19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

20. bmelo

bmelo Member

he reminds me of Raptors T-Mac