1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between Luka and the Mavs and Shai and the Thunder. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Houston Cougars Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Chopped, Aug 29, 2011.

1. PhiSlammaJamma

Screen passes and throws to a wide open burner who is the real talent. All done against second rate CB's. He didn't earn it. That's what everyone saw. Which is why a 40 TD and 4k passer goes in the late rounds.

2. PhiSlammaJamma

Screen passes and throws to a wide open burner. He didn't earn it. And he didn't earn it against real competition. That's what everyone saw. Which is why a 40 TD and 4k passer goes in the late rounds. He has to work on his footwork and become more accurate.

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I'm not going to argue that Houston's offense isn't probably more lateral than most, but the stats on hand don't back up what you say.

Also, "real competition"? We still doing that after seeing how NFL QB success doesn't really correlate to G5/P5 disparity?

And yeah, just about every college QB has to "work on footwork" because hardly any of them take snaps under center.

Tune is going to have a long NFL career. My only concern is that he get out of Arizona as quickly as possible.

4. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

5. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Putting up big stats has zero to do with if you are NFL prospect or not. If it was then all those Tech QB's under Mike Leach would have been drafted high.

Sooty likes this.
  6. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

I don't see anybody arguing that.

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

8. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Looks like Renu Khator is going to have to lower her standards OR fire Holgerson!

9. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

[​IMG]

10. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Dana has been really unimpressive.

11. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

12. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

13. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Mathis had a lot of starts/reps with WVU but they seem ambivalent about losing him. Probably sour grapes.

14. MystikArkitect

Really unimpressive is actually an understatement. The product on the field last year may have been the worst I've seen in some time and that includes Levine/Applewhite. Those guys were inept. Holgorsen is almost a notch below inept. Snake oil salesman/swindler is more the term I would use.

15. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

TBF the thing Dana has the most experience and influence on, the passing game, has almost always been on point. Tune progressed greatly year over year, and the execution in that area has been consistent.

What has sunk us is that we can't seem to have a functioning run game and defense in the same season. Last year was particularly bad, because both kinda blew dog balls.

I'm not as down on Dana as I used to be, but I feel like this year may be brutal and the start of a particularly rough stretch.

16. MystikArkitect

McCaskill was a Sunday capable running back and him going down ruined our run game. My issue was discipline. False starts, holding, OPI, DPI and so....many.....unsportsmanlike conduct penalties. I'm not sure I've watched a team shoot itself in the foot more than last years Cougars.

17. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

All true. But I would argue that the run game was missing more than Alton. We fired our OL coach for a reason. Those boys just couldn't get ANY push on 3rd and short.

18. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Not getting first downs in short yardage cost them a couple games last year and you add the giving up late game drives multiple times too. I hope we fixed the secondary because we didn't replace the 2 CB's drafted the year before plus we had a ton of injuries on defense.

19. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

20. Fulgore

Fulgore Member