1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets To Target Brook Lopez, Dillon Brooks, Austin Reaves, Cam Johnson In Free Agency

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jgreen91, May 24, 2023.

1. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Basically if the price is right on any of these guys, sure, why not. That's a big if - for example I'd say near minimum for Brooks (not really interested in an inefficient agitator), and I don't want see a massive bidding war for Cam Johnson because he's a good all around forward and that's a hot commodity right now for contenders.

I don't see them being needle movers but they could help Udoka mold our Play Doh roster into its next form.

Lopez and Cam are nice pieces for a contender. Reaves sets off my "2 years ago Duncan Robinson conversation" alarm (although they're not the same player, Reaves has better defense and court vision). Just need to be careful paying future money for one season flashes. (And watch Duncan Robinson magically win finals MVP now that I type this.)

#21 napalm06, May 24, 2023
    Last edited: May 24, 2023
  2. 34to11

34to11 Member

The surest way for a team to become a perpetual treadmiller is to overvalue their own talent.

Cam Johnson is a clear upgrade by an appreciable degree. You don't let the presence of Tari Eason hinder you from thoroughly exploring the addition of Cam, especially since both guys are utility types that can plug and play at multiple positions.

3. Ish

Ish Member

Just remember reaves played with Davis and lebron ..no one on the other team really cared for him to beat you .yeah he had good moments but so did Jeremy Lin.. if you think reaves is better than green saying he is expandable..then Idk but I would definitely look into cheap low market for brooks , he is all 2nd defense for a reason , a bad playoff series murdered his value, but just remember that team lacked leadership, I think brook lopez would be good, getting harden , having jabari move to the sf and elite perimeter D and right behind him is an anchor in Lopez to rim protect... Sengun at the 4 would be like an al horford roll but rockets and super spread out and play give driving lanes to green and harden .. another players I would look into is Seth curry and Caleb martin or struss

4. Le$$

Le$$ Member

They wont get but Harden on a bloated max contract. If there going to spend all that money on Harden, i probably wont watch anymore.

TEXNIFICENT likes this.
  5. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://sports.yahoo.com/nba-draft-...oms-for-the-rest-of-the-top-10-165028198.html

The Rockets harbor plans to invest in winning additions to Houston’s three-year rebuild, but have so far only been linked to the franchise’s former All-Star centerpiece, James Harden, as well as other potential veteran newcomers who could slot alongside Harden, should he spurn Philadelphia on the open market.

While Bucks guard Khris Middleton has been mentioned by league personnel as a possible target for Houston in free agency, Middleton’s inclusion during meetings with Milwaukee’s final candidates to replace former head coach Mike Budenholzer strongly signaled a mutual interest in keeping the All-Star guard next to Giannis Antetokounmpo. And there is a growing sense among league executives that Middleton will return to the Bucks on a long-term agreement. Another key Milwaukee starter, however, sharp-shooting center Brook Lopez, is a veteran free agent on Houston’s radar, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

There will be no shortage of players on the market connected to the Rockets between now and the opening of free agency June 30. Houston is projected to hold the largest amount of cap space in the NBA — over $60 million in wiggle room — with expectations to spend and improve. No agent could manufacture a better landing spot than Houston either for a client’s payday, or as potential leverage over other teams hoping to obtain that client’s services. The Rockets, though, are prioritizing adding a proven table-setting point guard, then looking to acquire upgrades at the wing and center position, sources said. And for that, should Harden ultimately stick with the 76ers, Raptors point guard Fred VanVleet has often been linked to Houston as a secondary option who could perhaps slot into the team’s lead ball-handling role.

On the wing, the Rockets do hold an interest in sharpshooter Cam Johnson, sources said, although Brooklyn personnel has indicated the Nets' plan to match any realistic offer sheet for the restricted free agent, who was part of the franchise’s return for Kevin Durant. Dillon Brooks, last seen as Memphis’ starting small forward, is another Rockets target, sources told Yahoo Sports, and appears to be a more realistic candidate to join Houston this summer.

Mathloom likes this.
  6. JW86

JW86 Member

I'll take anyone, FVV for max 4 years over ****ing Dillon Brooks!

B-Bob likes this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

No to Dillon Brooks, enforcers can be taken in the late first rounds or 2nd rounds.

dmoneybangbang and B-Bob like this.
  8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

9. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

F*CK YEAH. Lopez would be as big a floor raiser for this team as anyone. You can count on the defense to be top 10-15 with him on board, and moving up 15 spots on defense is no less valuable than moving up 15 spots on offense. Would only cost $20-25m per season I believe.

There's a minor inconvenience in that it means Sengun comes off the bench for 1-2 years max, but at the same time Lopez is the PERFECT blueprint for how he can improve his defense. Comes with championship experience. Such a similar story to Sengun, started off his career as a post threat with poor defense and 3pt shooting. Transformed his career by transforming his game. Could lift Sengun to surprising levels because Sengun is more offensively gifted. I'm fairly certain Sengun will beat him out of the starting line up in less than 1.5 years if he can play decent defense.

If there's any truth to this, I can't see an impediment unless there's a team that can offer him both a high salary and title aspirations. Fingers crossed, won't be easy to convince him unless the money blows the Bucks away. I would offer double whatever they offer for 2-3 seasons.

#29 Mathloom, Jun 6, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2023
  10. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

We suffered enough with Westbrook. Please dear god, don’t put us through Dillon Brooks.

Little Bit and BHannes2BHonest like this.
  11. Da Man

Da Man Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I like the Brook Lopez fit. Our two biggest weaknesses are 3 point shooting and interior defense. I can imagine a small dose of a double big lineup on offense where Sengun is in the post and Lopez is hanging out on the perimeter. Then on defense, Sengun needs to be passable guarding the corner 3's, let Lopez sink down in the paint and Jabari Smith roam. Jalen Green and KPJ's defense will be much improved with a defense player of the year caliber player behind them.

#31 Da Man, Jun 6, 2023
    Mathloom and maj21 like this.
  12. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Let it be known that team friendly contracts in the NBA are less common than Bigfoot sightings.

13. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

You get Brook Lopez and FVV to guide Garuba/Jabari/Tari/Tate/Christopher this team would have a serious defensive backbone and that's half of the game taken care of. Defenders at every height. It's definitely a good way to build. Lopez/Jabari/Tari/Green/FVV can definitely score the ball too.

14. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Harden 3yrs $120 ($40 per)
    Lopez 2yrs $50 ($25 per)

that basically wipes away our cap space for the next 2 seasons for two guys in the twilight of their career. I’m just not sure it’s a good use of resources, especially when u consider next year’s much stronger free agency market, or the value of having cap space to take on salary through trade.

I think we’d need to add another starting caliber vet to move the needle. Can Stone finally pull off a consolidation trade?

#34 Aruba77, Jun 6, 2023
    Corrosion and theDude like this.
  15. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I am not putting any faith in these reports. Half the available FA's have been mentioned at one time or another.
    Way too much intentional leaking and other agenda's going on to sift through it.

One thing that has me concerned is that their are several teams like the Suns, Lakers, Milwaukee, ect... that are under a lot of pressure to improve, meaning that their will be a LOT of competition for the FA's that might interest the Rockets.

I just hope we don't take on drastic overpay's just to land a name.

Mathloom likes this.
  16. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

If you only sign Lopez to one year, decline KPJs Option, and organic cap growth, you still have close to max space next year.

Aruba77 likes this.
  17. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

No to Brooks. Start Tari and draft Howard or Murray.

Just pay Lopez 33 million for 1 year with a 27 million team option on year 2. It’s an overpay but does so much for us.

18. maj21

maj21 Member

Would love to have Brook Lopez, we need a starting center really bad.

19. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I'll take Dillon Brooks. The team and halftime shows lacks dance moves and flava.

Dredd likes this.
  20. OremLK

OremLK Member

Love targeting Brook Lopez, I think he's the single best fit on this free agent market. I don't see him as taking minutes away from Sengun, 96 to go around in the frontcourt and we can make something work.

I'm getting more onboard with FVV. Depends largely on the contract he commands though.

Mathloom likes this.