1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Paramount+] Star Trek: Strange New Worlds S2

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by GRENDEL, May 24, 2023.

1. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Just decided to start a new thread for the new season, full trailer just came out and it looks like a lot of fun, nice little bonus for Lower Deck fans in the trailer too....

Following the teaser last month, Paramount+ has now premiered the full-length trailer for the second season of “Star Trek: Strange New Worlds” which returns to the service on June 15th.

The big reveal here is a first look at Jack Quaid as Boimler and Tawny Newsome as Mariner, the actors reprising the characters they voice on the animated comedy “Star Trek: Lower Decks” – this time in the flesh.

The series serves as a prequel to the original “Star Trek” and follows Captain Christopher Pike (Anson Mount) and his crew, who boldly go where no one has gone before.

Clocking in at ten episodes, the new season is expected to continue the first’s format of mostly standalone episodes with some ongoing smaller story threads.

The series stars Rebecca Romijn as Una ‘Number One’ Chin-Riley, Ethan Peck as Science Officer Spock, Jess Bush as Nurse Christine Chapel, Christina Chong as La’an Noonien-Singh, Celia Rose Gooding as Nyota Uhura, Babs Olusanmokun as Dr. M’Benga, Melissa Navia as Lt. Erica Ortegas, Carol Kane as new Chief Engineer Pelial, and Paul Wesley as James T. Kirk.

The show has already been officially renewed for a ten-episode third season which was in production but is rumored to have been halted due to the strike.

2. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Definitely glad this got renewed. IMO it's the 2nd-best Trek or Trek like around (behind Orville, which is up in the air as to whether it'll continue). Also glad they're putting Discovery out of its misery. Watched that through season 3 and into episode 1 of season 4 before I finally decided to stop trying so hard to like something that I just... don't.

Strange New Worlds's strength is definitely its episodic nature and its seeming attempt to pull away from being obsessively dark. I do hope it maintains that course.

3. clos4life

clos4life Member

I actually like Discovery better than Strange New Worlds but both shows are great imo.

4. Drexlerfan22

Well hey, no shade on you, it's cool that someone likes it. I feel like the broad consensus is that it's meh and that it "doesn't feel like Star Trek". Which I agree with.

I'm curious, as someone who likes it, do you feel like it's improved, gotten worse, etc? Basically how would you rank the seasons? And what do you like most about it in general? To be fair I think my peak on it was end of season 2 and going into season 3, so maybe upward trajectory overall?

I think my biggest thing is that I'm just not into the characters. Which I admit is very subjective. But I was more interested in even the bit characters in DS9 than I am in the major ones on Discovery. The obsession with dark and weighty through-plots is a close second though. I feel like they tried to jump to a Dominion War type of feel right away in Discovery, but it didn't work as well without proper build-up and character development prior.

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I thought Discovery was one of the best Star Treks until the last season (maybe the season before). At that point, it kind of got goofy. If you wanted wall-to-wall action, Discovery was it. I liked Strange New Worlds, but I swear I can't remember an episode from that show's first season now. LOL. I must be old. :D

clos4life likes this.
  6. clos4life

clos4life Member

Drexlerfan22, I feel the same as Dr. Of Dunk, it was different and more action oriented, with the last season the weakest but still good. I hope season 5 finishes the series on a high note, but it was great while it lasted.

7. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Gonna get me some strange.

8. Drexlerfan22

Ah ok, interesting. I agree there was a lot of action, but I guess that's just not what I look for in a Trek. To each their own I guess. :)

Invisible Fan and clos4life like this.
  9. Buck Turgidson

As a sci-fi fan but non-trekkie I really enjoyed S1, more than any of the other Trek shows that have come out recently (tried them all and finished none).

clos4life likes this.
  10. Xerobull

Pike has level 99 hair and hairline. Smug b*stard.

[​IMG]

11. Buck Turgidson

Anson Mount vs Timothy Olyphant...who ya got?

12. Xerobull

uhm...

[​IMG]

13. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Klingon Boy Band is officially Peak Star Trek. They should just pack it in now because they are never going to top that.

clos4life, Amiga and GRENDEL like this.
  14. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I thought that musical episode was pretty great, wife could care less about Trek but she was chuckling during some of the songs especially that Klingon bit....

clos4life likes this.
  15. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

it was awesome

Ottomaton and GRENDEL like this.
  16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I don't know how Paramount+ stays in business. I got a free one month subscription (again) to binge-watch Picard. Finished that and decided to wait for the current Strange New Worlds season to end so I can go looking for another free month. I should've waited another month or so to watch Picard - could've watched both for free in a month. But I digress.... so I decided to cancel the subscription, and when I do, they give me another 2 months free. Guess I'll watch some old I Love Lucy while I wait for the SNW season to finish so I can binge-watch that, too. :D