1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Arizona Coyotes Moving To Houston?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by boomboom, Dec 2, 2021.

1. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Unless I'm reading something differently than others, the trademark was allowed to lapse and can't be revived, meaning it's fair game.

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I didn't read that carefully, but you're right. "CONTINUED USE NOT FILED WITHIN GRACE PERIOD, UN-REVIVABLE" If you click on the link he provided, it looks like that happened in December 2014.

rocketsjudoka likes this.
  3. CCorn

CCorn Member

Victims of abuse find it difficult to leave their abuser.

ima_drummer2k likes this.
  4. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Did some searching about Coyotes option since the vote failed and there is talk of maybe trying to build an arena in a few other spots within the Phoenix metro area Mesa was one that I saw. I also read an article in the NY Post that said the league is monitoring the situation and they would rather they Coyotes find someway to make it work in Arizona, because it would be better financially for the league if Houston or whatever other city gets a team by expansion instead said the expansion fee could be 700m-1B for a franchise.

5. MadMax

Yep. They’ve given AZ more chances than any area I can recall to get a deal done. But they’re still light years away from breaking ground, and construction of an arena is no less than a 2 year process. Meanwhile they’re playing in a 5000 seat arena. Just a wild situation. I wish the NFL had been that adamant about the Houston market back in the mid 90s :)

6. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

There was also some talk of building on Reservation land and it said it was possible but not likely because the Tribe leaders do not like the Coyotes owner at all and he seems to have no plans to sell the team.

MadMax likes this.
  7. MadMax

Yeah, I saw that and the Mesa stuff last night. Ultimately they’re gonna need to **** or get off the pot at some point. Can’t believe the NHL is still messing with this.

8. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

The NHL has basically bent over backwards to make it work in Arizona where it doesn't seem to happen but the writer of the article on ESPN said this quote shows that they might be accepting its not going to happen now.

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said in a statement: "The NHL is terribly disappointed by the results of the public referenda regarding the Coyotes' arena project in Tempe. We are going to review with the Coyotes what the options might be going forward."

The cities mentioned in the article for a potential move were:

Houston
    Salt Lake City
    Kansas City
    Sacremento
    Hartford
    Quebec City
    Toronto

I even saw Atlanta although I have no idea why the NHL would give them another shot when 2 teams have failed there already. I saw Milwaukee, Portland, and Oklahoma City mentioned in various articles too.

MadMax likes this.
  9. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

From a Canadian perspective, Quebec City is never happening again. The market is just too small. They're aiming for large TV markets which Quebec City doesn't have. And Toronto isn't getting a second team. All sports teams in Toronto (NBA, NHL, MLS, CFL MLB as well as affiliate minor league teams) are owned by a single company. MLE is not letting another team (in any professional league) as they very much enjoy their complete monopoly on sports in Toronto.

Of those cities, SLC, Houston and Kansas City probably make the most sense. SLC and Houston probably make the most sense given that they're rapidly growing markets and they're both wealthier than Kansas City. I'd personally vote for Salt Lake City if I had to pick from that list.

MadMax likes this.
  10. MadMax

Houston and SLC also have more "ready ownership" than KC does. I read the other day that there is no connection to anyone in KC who is ready to act quickly around ownership with a connection to an arena. HOU and SLC have that, both at least in theory.

Slyonebluejay likes this.
  11. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

So, if the coyotes don't end up moving here, and assuming the NHL is gung ho about putting an expansion team here instead, what kind of timeline are we looking at?

And is it just a forgone conclusion that Tillman would be the owner? Or could some other Houston mogul step up? Rich Kinder? Jeffery Hildebrand? @Trader_Jorge?

12. MadMax

Someone else could step up. The problem is the lease with Toyota Center includes a “non-compete” for that building…meaning the county can’t be involved in any way in funding/facilitating the construction of another arena that would compete with TC for events. Devil is in the details on that, and it’s been a while since I read those specific terms…but it’s an impediment. So Tillman is the easiest fit given that he’s expressed interest in owning an NHL team and he controls all the rights to TC.

As for timeline, no idea. They want huge TV markets and really expensive franchise fees. That franchise fee avoidance would be why Tillman would be spending energy on buying the coyotes instead…because their value is lowwwwwwww…

13. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Forbes had the Coyotes value at $500 Million IN 2022 which was bottom 5 in the NHL.

Xerobull likes this.
  14. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

If anyone can do it on the nasty, it’s Tilman. He bought the Flagship Hotel in Galveston for $500k. He can just send some of his friends from Vegas over to ‘negotiate’ with the current owner.

RasaqBoi and MadMax like this.
  15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Am I the only one who’s not thrilled with Toyota center as a hockey venue? I believe others have posted their concerns with it before (or maybe it was on Twitter).

arenas built for hockey (or with hockey first and foremost in mind) are designed differently. TC had to retract a lot of baseline seats to accommodate a rink and it’s not ideal.

16. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

We don't really have a choice at this point and with the no compete its going to have to be TC if we have any hope of a team coming to Houston.

17. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Having separate stadiums for Hockey and Basketball would be an enormous waste of money.

RasaqBoi and Two Sandwiches like this.
  18. MadMax

Man, I’d watch it at Tully Stadium if I thought it would get me a hockey team lol

Nick likes this.
  19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Stratford!

MadMax likes this.
  20. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

There are only 10 teams that share buildings with NBA teams.
    New York Rangers
    Dallas
    LA Kings
    Toronto
    Boston
    Philly
    Colorado
    Chicago
    Detroit
    Washington

There are 4 teams with their own building who are in markets with NBA teams.
    Arizona but not really
    New York Islanders
    Minnesota
    Florida

RasaqBoi likes this.