1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I hate running...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Two Sandwiches, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Anyone starting out, just know a good long walk is pretty effective too. Like 1.5 hour, 5 mile walk is a 1,000 calories for me. Been doing a lot of them lately, 5 mile runs are killer for me but I can do the walk and still exist after I get home lol

ROCKSS, Two Sandwiches and Xerobull like this.
  2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I was running at the beginning of the pandemic but I have too many joint issues to keep it up. I need to save what’s left of my joints so martial arts.

to keep up my endurance I’ve started biking again and look to get the kayak out this weekend.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  3. Reeko

Reeko Member

running ain’t my kind of thing either…it’s just not a comfortable thing for me

if I go out for a run, I already know I’m coming back to the house with a sore hip and lower back

only really run when hooping, which is something I can’t do much of anymore

only real cardio I do is walking my dogs twice a day everyday and sometimes the elliptical that I bought (will usually watch a 30 minute show in my workout room while using it and that’s about it)…I also bike from time to time

I’m 6’2 and was 204 lbs last time I checked…I was around 180 pre-Covid, and once I passed 200 lbs, I haven’t been below since

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Goggins is amazing. Sheer willpower and the penultimate example of how responding to failure positively leads to winning. He's almost entirely focused on his own well-being in the most unselfish way, and focusing on keeping yourself in top shape mentally and physically is the best path to having good relationships with other people.

What this video doesn't tell you is that he stretches 2+ hours a day, which I think is effectively yoga for him and he doesn't know it. @VooDooPope maybe you can elaborate.

FrontRunner and Two Sandwiches like this.
  6. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Goggins is phenomenal, if you haven't read his biography , I urge you to do so............its mind blowing. As for running, I have always hated it, I suck at it

Xerobull likes this.
  7. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Running is the worst...at least without a ball at my feet which is the only time I can even muster the adrenaline necessary to do it. I am built completely with fast twitch muscles and have no ability to run for distance. Never have...even at my fittest. Plus, after 40+ years of soccer, my knees only have so many miles left and they aren't going to be wasted running to nowhere for nothing. I work out 4-5 days a week and part of the program incorporates conditioning so I'm perfectly good with that.

8. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Yeah for Groggins stretching for 2+ hours a day is a very yoga like activity. An active Yang activity like running, basketball, swimming, tennis etc is best balanced with a more subdued Yin type of activity like deep stretching with long holds. I teach a yin class every Tuesday night and I have a couple athletes that are regulars and they love how the practice compliments their more vigorous endeavors.

This explains the benefits better than I could:

If you’ve ever experienced any type of sprain or tear in a joint then you know that too much exertion on connective tissues (ligaments, tendons, and fascia) is not a good thing. That’s because these tissues don’t respond to heat building activities, like active yoga classes and traditional forms exercise (like running), in the same way that the major muscle groups do.

Having a way to lubricate and lengthen these areas of the body is key to increasing longevity and keeping joints safe and healthy. That’s exactly what the practice of yin yoga does.

Yin specifically seeks to target the connective tissue of the body through long, slow holds of cooling poses that allow it to expand over time.

Injuries occur when the ligaments, tendons, and fascia expand too quickly so instead, yin uses gravity paired with body weight to gradually expand the connective tissue. This approach not only prevents an injury from occurring in the moment those areas are being targeted, but also has the potential to stimulate collagen and elastin production in our joints to prevent injuries in the future as well.
    So with 2+ hours of stretching a day he would be reaping the same benefits even if he didn't consider it "yoga"

Xerobull likes this.
  9. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I hate seeing my past threads bumped. I cringe at them.

But this was a good bump.

Still working on getting in shape though. Will always be working on getting into shape. I did go through some hardcore running fads after this post. There is definitely magic when you find that zone. I've found it in running and swimming.

Just recently sprained my foot and ankle pretty bad, but once it heals, I want to get back after it.

Good bump.

10. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I hate jogging with the heat of a thousand suns. Fortunately, I started playing Ultimate around 1998 and have continued playing 1+ times/week ever since. Of course, this was interrupted by COVID and I tried jogging again. Nope. Couldn't do it. Just as awful as I remembered. Though I continued to workout through COVID (mostly body weight stuff a couple of times a week) I did gain about 10 pounds. Post-COVID I'm back to playing 1x/week and have lost 7-8 of the 10 pounds. I'm currently 55, 5'10, 181-183 pounds and want to be around 175. Knock on wood, my knees have been in good shape. I've had long periods where I've worn braces on one or both, but currently going braceless. I think consistently doing knee stretching before I play and lately adding squats/lunges to my weekly workouts has had a significant positive impact. I probably just jinxed myself.

FrontRunner likes this.
  11. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

I never heard of the guy until today. Two minutes into watching one of his videos I found myself cleaning my desk. Soon I'll be unstoppable.

Xerobull, ROCKSS and Two Sandwiches like this.
  12. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

He's good friends with some of the famous podcasters, like Rogan. Rogan does a spot on impression.

FrontRunner likes this.
  13. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

I'll look for it. Rogan has some great guests.

14. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I ran long distance track in high school and regularly jogged with my parents on their 5 mile runs when I was growing up. However, I wouldn't recommend it as an exercise to lose weight or to even attempt doing it if you are overweight. My Dad just had his hip replaced and was already on a partial knee replacement, he was always about 10 lbs overweight and I'm pretty sure all those miles jogging put some undue wear and tear on his joints. Jogging was a fad that got popularized in the 70s and 80s by celebs, but there are better options to lose weight for your overall health, mainly through diet. The fitness industry is a bit of scam in my opinion, heavy cardio isn't the answer to lose weight.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  15. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

You can just bike instead and save your knees the grief.

The key is vigorous cardiovascular exercise. ~30 mins/day or ~150 mins/week.

I would need a knee replacement by 40 if I ran like some of these peeps.

16. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This came across my FB memories this morning. It’s from 4 years ago from when I was getting ready to compete in the las tournament I did.

This is mainly for Peter ***** but just finished my last hard training session for Judo Senior Nationals next week and I'm in pain. Shoulders hurt, neck hurts, back hurts, hip hurts, knees hurts plus assorted fingers and toes. It's all a good hurt and hopefully it pays off next week on the mat in Las Vegas.
    I've dealt with a lot of pain the last couple of months. There is pain that comes from uncertainty, doubt and anger. Then there is the pain that comes from challenge and hard work. Pushups at dawn, eating lunch at a desk while getting drawings out, mat drills and randori in the evening, and then reading code books until after midnight. That is the kind of pain that I welcome and what has been helping me get through this year so far.

17. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I hit 5 miles today. Personal record. It’s pretty amazing to me since I struggled with going over a single mile a year ago, then I was in the hospital with an upper gi bleed in January, which was about 2 liters of blood which put me on my ass for a month as my body replenished the blood and iron. All told it took me about 10 weeks to get back to normal and not be anemic.

I generally do 90/10 jogging/walking the first mile and it decreases by 10% for each subsequent mile.

I hear the horror stories about wear and tear but I’m enjoying it for now.

18. Buck Turgidson

"Do you run?"

"Yeah, if somebody's chasing me."

I've got the one knee replacement on the horizon at 50yo (3 surgeries on it already, 1 scope on the other knee). I love hiking and all, going uphill is easy, going downhill will **** your stuff up.

ROCKSS likes this.
  19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That is fun.