1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What will it take to make you seriously consider an EV?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jiggyfly, Mar 31, 2021.

1. Sajan

Sajan Member

VERY SOON!

2. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Tesla will never make it
    Tesla can't scale.
    Musk stole Tesla
    Tesla cars are too expensive. nobody will buy them
    Tesla cars are too expensive
    Tesla market cap over priced
    Competition is coming
    Competition is coming
    Competition is coming
    ( continue to repeat)

3. Sajan

Sajan Member

didn't say anything about tesla not making it though.

specifically posted a tweet about FSD. thanks for replying. good day.

Space Ghost likes this.
  4. Sajan

Sajan Member

FrontRunner likes this.
  5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Maybe it just wanted to stop and enjoy the scenery, ya MO ran. Ever think of that? :D

I remember when the early software on my TLX used to do that back in 2014. The LDS/LKAS would brake for no damn reason. I remember going down the Beltway in Houston, and as I was getting ready to exit onto 45, the car decided to hit the brakes hard. ABS kicked in on the freeway right at that deathtrap exit. I thought it was going to kill me eventually. lol.

#2025 Dr of Dunk, May 15, 2023
    Last edited: May 15, 2023
    ElPigto and Sajan like this.
  6. Sajan

Sajan Member

yup 5 series with collison warning did that a few times when i would accelerate to make a tight lane change. it thought i was speeding up to ram the car in the front.
    LET. ME. DRIVE.

But seriously. You can't just go from phantom braking in mid 2023 to FSD by end of the year.
    This tech is so far from being a true FSD solution. This is like getting excited over a phase 1 drug trial think it would solve cancer.

7. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

8. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Some academics are tracking the IRA's influence on EVs. Here's an interesting visual:

[​IMG]

Current planned capacity will be enough to reach the goal of 50% EV sales by 2030.

[​IMG]

And here's battery production. Right now, we're on track to hit enough batteries for 12 million EVs a year.

[​IMG]

Also, the IRA has so far brought in about $50 billion in investments into the US from foreign car manufacturers.

On a personal note, we've now made several trips with the Mach-E and the most annoying thing is that most of the chargers have no amenities. Just a basic windshield squeegee would be great.

FrontRunner likes this.
  9. Sajan

Sajan Member

How about some shade? Why does gas stations have GIANT ROOFS but EV chargers are in some corner in direct sunlight. You wait a ton longer at the EV ones vs. gas...
    makes no sense to me.

FrontRunner and rimrocker like this.
  10. Sajan

Sajan Member

11. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

That’s interesting. I wonder how much is related to car stuff and how much is driven by the personality and politics of Musk?

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  12. Space Ghost

The pumps need some protection. The EV charging stations do not. But I agree. Some cover would be nice.

Buck Turgidson and Sajan like this.
  13. Space Ghost

14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

So I just got back from driving around for a bit after being bored. I was taking a right turn and saw an oncoming car with its hazard lights on. Once it passed, and I turned behind it, I saw what the problem was. I can't tell if the door came open or if it wouldn't close. I can't imagine it was because the door was left open because they drove at least half-a-mile to a mile before they turned into a car shop, and no telling how long they had driven before I saw them. You can see

Is there some type of automated/software-driven closing mechanisms on Model 3's? This was like GM/Cadillac-level bizarre failure (assuming it was a failure). Seems similar to this issue I found while googling, but not sure : https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/got-my-delivered-but-rear-driver-door-wont-close.216530/

I took a pic with my potato :

[​IMG]

15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Sweet.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  16. Sajan

Sajan Member

This is good for Ford.

Electrify America can suck it.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  17. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

My Panamera was in the shop and I Turo a Tesla . It was awesome. I've also rented a BMW I8 and I think my next car is going to be electric

18. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

I am pleasantly surprised by the Ford and Tesla announcement! The announced 2025 timeline also seems extremely aggressive. This must've been in the works under wraps for a while.

I think it would be mutually beneficial for both Ford and Tesla. It'll be interesting to see if other automakers follow suit, especially seeing how VW reacts considering their stake in EA.

I just hope Ford covered their bases in their agreements. Imagine if Ford and Tesla get into a dispute in the future and Tesla decides to take their ball and go home by banning Fords from SCers or raise prices until it's prohibitively expensive. That's a move that could actually kill Ford.

19. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

20. Buck Turgidson

Not clicking play, and I'd also never buy a car from that guy, just based on looks.

It's the eyes.

And the mismatched tie. Glasses are very nice though.

peleincubus likes this.