1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Amen Thompson tank thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OremLK, Apr 19, 2023.

1. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Yeah, I've watched most of the playoff games recently, and there are some clear differences between the twins.

Ausar was a big time shot maker for them. I don't want to discredit him much because of that. He earned MVP because he was their go to guy, and he hit a lot of big shots.

That said, he's just not on Amen's level imo. Ausar is a good passer and processor, but he doesn't have the first step or creativity of his brother. He seems to struggle more than Amen in getting separation on his drives. Once he decides on a move, he seems to stick to it no matter what. He will try to score over 3 defenders at the rim once he makes his move. Amen pretty routinely waits until nearly the last moment to make his decision (enough to wow me a lot), and I don't see that from Ausar (at least in the games I saw). Ausar does have much better footwork around the rim though (and pretty patient overall). Worse finisher overall IIRC. Their defense seemed fairly similar to me honestly.

I think his success and role depends even more on his shot than Amen. I've shown ways Amen can be successful with no shot. If Ausar can't shoot, then he'll struggle to get minutes. Fortunately he is a better shooter than Amen, though I do worry that he might have just been hot in the playoffs. Regardless, his shot does seem pretty slow (he needs to get set), and guys were still playing off of him. Like Amen, he's a hard worker, so maybe he'll work out his issues. But without a good fit, I think he'll have a much tougher time making it work.

When it comes to the Rockets, I just can't see Ausar working out well. Unless you try to convert him to PG, but that will take 2+ years of development IMO, and it might not work out (he just doesn't flash the same talents Amen has imo). FWIW, I'm partly parroting stuff Spinella and others have said, but I tried to confirm by watching some games myself. I will say one analyst said Ausar is like 20-30 pick at best, and I'm definitely not going that far haha. I do think there's a bigger gap between them than many think though. Maybe because I think it's easier for Amen to match Ausar's strengths than vice versa). I'm a terrible analyst though, so in truth, maybe the opposite is what we'll find in the NBA in a few months.

Arnel, cmlmel77, cheke64 and 2 others like this.
  2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Probably a rumor, OKC wants the 4th pick and go for Jarace.

Defensive piece to set Holmgren free and roam.

Giddey
    Shai
    Jalen Williams
    Jarace Walker
    Chet

#522 daywalker02, May 24, 2023
    Last edited: May 24, 2023
    TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  3. MystikArkitect

They don't have the assets to get the 4th pick. Unless they want to give up J-Will or Chet. They have a treasure trove of draft picks that project in the teens which are all collectively worth maybe a 5-7 pick.

4. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I'm resigned to the probable selection of Amen Thompson with the 4th pick. Amen isn't a clear choice with the 4th pick either. The Pistons might want Amen with the injury to Cade. Hayes is no good.

Stone should trade Amen to them for the rights of Cam Whitmore and their unprotected 2024 1st round pick.

@ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Harrison Barnes
    Jeremy Grant
    Trey Lyles

They can be had I guess.

6. TimDuncanDonaut

If OKC give us all our picks back for this #4, would you consider?

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Wouldn't call myself an Amen hater but you know I am not on his side so the choice is not hard to make.

OKC just has to stick it out and I think they will wait rather than act.

Seems the Rockets would get their trade proposal rather sooner than later by several teams.

Just trying to say Jarace Walker is more coveted by teams than by CF Fans lmao.

8. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Amen won't be there at 4. I feel good about that.

9. OremLK

OremLK Member

I don't think Amen makes a lot of sense for them. Cade is a better overall prospect--he's right around the level of Scoot Henderson--and Ivey is already kind of a combo guard. That would probably just pick Ausar or Whitmore rather than make a trade like that.

If Miller falls to #4 because Scoot and Amen go #2 and #3, and no trade up possibility becomes available to us to get Scoot, I could see Detroit trying to trade with us to get Miller. In that case, trading back might make sense just so we don't have to pick him.

10. MystikArkitect

Yeah I mean that's the thing the NBA. It's unbelievably hard to win a title without a superstar. And a pick that could produce one is worth much more than....anything less than an All Star. I don't think anything currently on OKC's roster or asset bank is worth the 4th pick outside of SGA or Chet.

People are whining about getting the #4 but this draft has 3 talents that could be superstars and 1 talent that could be an All Star. And we have the 4th pick. Trading it for a bunch of role players is idiotic.

Arnel and JusBleezy like this.
  11. cbass

cbass Member

Maybe Giddy too.

BamBam likes this.
  12. MystikArkitect

Giddey is Australian Amen Thompson without any athleticism.

13. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Never thought Cade was worthy of the no. 1. He is not a great shooter and is slow footed for a PG.

Arnel likes this.
  14. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I hope people understand that Amen is a wing.

Coaches on Amen and Ausar Thompson's team say that they project both to be wings at the next level.

So KPj minus the outside shooting.

I accept Amen being drafted #4....but I expect many turnovers, so so dribbling, not quarterbacking an offense, sub average shooting for a few years.

Harden shooting 3's draws the defender close.
    Makes the drive more effective.

KPj shooting 3's draws the defender close.
    Makes the drive more effective.

Amen does not shoot the 3 well.
    Makes the drive less effective

15. OremLK

OremLK Member

[Citation needed]

I haven't seen him called a wing by most analysts. It's pretty widely accepted that he should be the primary ballhandler for his team. Doesn't really matter whether you want to call that a point guard or not--call it a "point forward" if you want. Point is, he's going to have the ball in his hands and will be creating for himself and others.

I think your analysis is just really wrong about his playmaking abilities. He has great court vision and looks to pass, and when he does, he often throws pinpoint bullets cross-court.

The 6'5" - 6'8", high-scoring point guard has become much more common in today's game. Harden, Luka, SGA, Haliburton, Cade. That is the archetype Amen will be following when he enters the league.

Arnel and RC Cola like this.
  16. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Yeah, I did hear Dave Leitao describe Amen as not a natural point guard (ala CP3), but more of a combo/"points" guard, which is the play style of most guards (I think he said Dame as a comparison?). I'd probably have a semantics argument about that, but regardless, I think he still saw him as a high level playmaker.

I don't know anyone who sees him otherwise. I guess his season assist stats weren't great, but in the playoffs (where roles/effort seemed easier to evaluate?), he got 9+ APG. And we talk about how OTE sucks, and maybe that inflates some of his stats, but I swear it downplays his assists. Guys are always smoking layups/dunks or wide open shots that he generates.

OremLK likes this.
  17. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Nah, Amen reminds me of LaMelo without a shot

Rudyc281 likes this.
  18. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

And way better defense

Arnel likes this.
  19. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Eh.
    LaMelo came in far more skilled. Far more refined tighter handles. More fluid movements etc.

saleem likes this.
  20. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

If you could take Giddey's exact (all around, under control) game and put it in Amen's ultra-athletic body then sign me up 7 days a week!
    That's a superstar!
    And a triple double machine even Westbrick could only dream of!

Imagine Russell Westbrook with a brain AND lock down defense!

I actually worry Amen's gonna rise to #2 or #3 (once individual workouts for teams happen) and we'll be left with B. Miller.

Hive5, Y2JT, Rudyc281 and 1 other person like this.