1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Embiid and the Sixers taking on Brunson and the Knicks -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

2022/2023 mock Trade/Draft/Free agency thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sydmill, May 31, 2022.

1. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Is there a good rationale for Brook Lopez to give up being the starting center on a team with championship aspirations in order to be the backup center on the worst team in the league over the past three years?

Cstyle42, sirjesse, jch1911 and 3 others like this.
  2. OremLK

OremLK Member

$$$

I'm sure we'd have to pay more than any other team. Question is, would he be interested for whatever overpay the Rockets would be willing to make.

Lopez could potentially start for us anyway. I think we can still get Sengun 30 minutes a game even if he does. I'm sure we could work creative lineups to get everyone enough time on the court, especially since Jabari can play the 3 for now.

theDude and jcmoon like this.
  3. carl_herrera

carl_herrera Member

Money.

Milwaukee likely can’t keep Giannis, Middleton, Jrue, and Lopez together without exceeding the second apron if Lopez gets a big number in free agency.

Either Lopez takes a discount, or Middleton takes a discount, or they have to choose between them.

4. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

The more I think about this offseason the less I see a great plan lol

not the strongest FA class to begin with and that’s our primary advantage . We don’t have a ton of great assets to offer .

I’m in favor of using space to get future assets if the price is high enough .

how do we get out of the cellar ?

we hope our young guys develop but other bad teams also have young guys developing.

theDude likes this.
  5. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

There's no rationale at all. He would start and especially with a HC like Udoka it would be impossible to convince him to not start his only excellent rim protector.

I think people are worried about Sengun coming off the bench, but he's getting 30+ minutes under Udoka regardless. Not a big deal imo, as long as he's getting 30+ minutes on a structured team with a winning culture, he's going to run a lot of offense and improve fast. I bet he will beat Lopez out of that job within a year.

The reason Lopez would leave is money. The Bucks simply can't (with their financial constraints and frugal ownership) match what we'd offer. Players rarely turn down a significantly bigger offer and Lopez already has a ring (i.e. legacy is set).

theDude, jch1911 and OremLK like this.
  6. OremLK

OremLK Member

Gonna have to overpay some guys. Money talks.

Alternatively I guess we can use our cap space to take back bad contracts.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  7. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

thats one reason to go after a max guy I guess

also the cap is going up soon right ? That will make the contracts look less bad

I’d roll the dice on porzingis . Could be a good mentor for sengun and Jabari . You could play big with Jabari / tari at the 3

Distressed asset is an OK idea , but I’m not sure we have the culture in place to do that . Udoka is nice in theory but give him a year before we add a malcontent superstar vet he has to manage + the young guys .

so no morant etc .

the guy id give my left nut for us Desmond bane , but the cost would be prohibitive

perhaps we can trade for one of the Boston trio of guards

Smart
    Brogdon
    White

all 3 of those guys should be able to keep performing for the whole contract and are solid .

8. OremLK

OremLK Member

Supposedly Porzingis is going to re-sign with Washington. Guess they are determined to stay on the mediocrity treadmill as long as possible.

Vucevic sounds like he might be more available. Says he's going to "test the market". Would be pricey though.

I still prefer Brook Lopez to those guys though.

9. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Middleton has a $40M player option that I seriously doubt he is going to walk away from. I guess they could arrange for him not pick it up and extend him at a lower salary to guarantee him additional years. Barring that, Middleton probably pushes Lopez out by simply picking up the option. But I'm not sure that Lopez picks us over some other team with championship aspirations and a need at center.

10. OremLK

OremLK Member

I don't think any of us knows what he's thinking or how much he values competing for another ring versus getting paid. I do agree that all else being equal he would choose a contender. Rockets will have to pay him more to even have a chance.

theDude likes this.
  11. carl_herrera

carl_herrera Member

No contender has cap space to offer him more than the MLE.

Sign and trades seem very unlikely because Milwaukee would have to take back comparable money, and the whole point here is that they’re in tax trouble.

Milwaukee or a cap space team are the only realistic paths.

A team with space like Houston would have to offer him much more than Milwaukee for sure. How much more depends on Lopez’s preferences, you’re right. IMO it would have to be >=$25M AAV, probably on a short deal. I think that’s $5-10M more than Milwaukee can reasonably afford.

Or maybe Milwaukee says screw it and goes over the second apron. Who knows.

OremLK likes this.
  12. OremLK

OremLK Member

Random thought: What if we help Minny free up enough cap space to pursue Kyrie by absorbing their roleplayer contracts? Keep thinking about how they have to be in desperation mode right now. And if we could help them screw over Mark Cuban, so much the better. Would still love to get Conley on the Rockets, and again, Jaden McDaniels would be a nice fit.

From their perspective, a core of Ant/Kyrie/KAT/Gobert sounds promising on paper. That's probably better than his situation in Dallas or with any of the other teams that have space for him, too.

jim1961 and jch1911 like this.
  13. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Andrew Wiggins

14. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Creative

15. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Washington wants Porzingis to take a pay cut so we could sign him. That would be a wild FRONTCOURT with Jabari, Porzingis and Sengun

jb86, jim1961 and theDude like this.
  16. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I would go big and trade for KAT and push Jabari to the 3. KAT when healthy and right is a good 3pt shooter and rebounder. Jabari, although limited offensively appears to be a versatile defender and probably will be a good spot shooter. AP is limited athletically, but has a real good feel for the game flow. Run the offense through Sengun and KAT and let everyone else work off that.

17. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Not a bad idea, but I am convinced that Smith and his future lies being primarily an interior player. He did pretty well there this year, and one of his best strengths is defensive rebounding.

on the other hand, I thought there were times this year, where he performed worse on the perimeter than I thought he would. It could work, but neither green or porter are able to cover quick perimeter guards effectively and we would be needing them to do that.

18. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Offer Lopez 30 million a year for 2 years, 2nd year being team option. Could we then facilitate that in a SnT with us sending Tate and Garuba to MIL.

19. carl_herrera

carl_herrera Member

A "realistic" full offseason scenario, if these are the organization's goals:

1. Compete for a play-in or low end playoff berth in 2023-24 with an Udoka-style strong defensive team
    2. Choose ~4 of the young core to move forward with as our future, and move on from the rest; set the core 4 up for success via complementary vets on offense and defense
    3. Preserve high-end future outcomes by using the #4 pick on a high upside player, keeping some trade powder dry, and not overcommitting to long-term FA contracts

Draft
    - Amen at #4
    - Lively at #20
    - Coulibaly at #29 (draft and stash)

FA's
    - Harden for $201M/4, with 4th year non-guaranteed and 3rd year $25M guaranteed
    - Brook Lopez for $50M/2
    - Joe Ingles for $12M/2 with a player option
    - Patrick Beverley for $8.5M/2 with a player option
    - Seth Curry for 1 year room exception ($7.2M)

Trade
    - Sengun + KPJ + TyTy + Bkn 2024 pick + Bkn 2025 swap for OG Anunoby. Sign OG to his maximum extension, $118M/4 starting in 2024/25. (This is the most unrealistic part of the scenario; trade values are in line with reality IMO, but the Sengun fit with Toronto isn't perfect and OG may not want to sign this extension)
    - Jae'Sean Tate + a second round pick to Indiana for #29
    - KJ Martin to Golden State for a future heavily protected first
    - Garuba to Phoenix for 2 seconds

Rotation
    Harden / Green / OG / Jabari / Lopez
    Amen / Curry / Ingles / Tari / Lively
    PatBev / vet min PF

- Reasonable expectation of winning 40-45 games next year, if healthy. Will definitely make at least the play-in
    - Jalen set up with an unselfish facilitator and less competition for shots
    - Jabari set up with a real rim protector so he can play the Giannis role defensively
    - Amen able to play with elite shooters + 1 dunker's spot big at all times
    - Potential to get to max cap space in two years to chase a big fish around this developed young core + OG

BHannes2BHonest and ThatBoyNick like this.
  20. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

He's a tweener, but thats ok. He can play to his size. Kinda like young Bob Horry at the 3

TEXNIFICENT and raining threes like this.