1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans Offseason

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Jan 8, 2023.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Signed Jacob Martin, released S Darius Joiner

Rockets34Legend likes this.
  2. J.R.

J.R. Member

3. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

His career will be resurrected by Demeco.

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

5. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Just run 4 and 5 wide sets. Use both Metchie AND Dell in the slot. Then use Nico, Woods, and Hutch on the sidelines. Noah Brown is odd man out/6th receiver.

6. Buck Turgidson

Clowney plays running downs, Martin plays a few 3rd downs.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  7. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://theathletic.com/4539298/2023/05/23/nfl-rookies-survey-favorite-players/

If you’d had an MVP vote last season, who would you have voted for?

C.J. Stroud, QB, Houston Texans: It would have been a split between Patrick Mahomes and Jalen Hurts.

Will Anderson Jr., edge, Houston Texans: Micah Parsons, a defensive player. And offensively, Patrick Mahomes. Or Jalen Hurts.

Who are you most excited to jersey swap with?

Young: Probably C.J. (Stroud) and Will (Anderson Jr.). Those are guys — I’ve known C.J. for a long time; that’s my brother. Will, that’s my brother too. We go to war every Saturday. We came in at the exact same time. Same schedule. We’ve really leaned on each other these past couple of years, on and off the field.

Stroud: All my former teammates! Even in high school … Bryce, and I’m trying to think of anybody else. I definitely want to get a Mahomes jersey. But I don’t want to seem like “that guy.” (Laughs) My teammates, I’m comfortable enough to ask.

Richardson: C.J. Stroud, Bryce Young, Lamar Jackson. Trevor Lawrence, if he thinks I’m cool enough to get his jersey. Mainly, all of the QBs.

Marvin Mims, WR, Denver Broncos: I’d probably say (Chiefs linebacker) Nick Bolton. We went to high school together. He was a senior my sophomore year. That would be sweet, kind of a full-circle thing.

Mingo: Probably (Saints linebacker) Demario Davis. We grew up across the street from each other, and he went to high school with my brother. So I remember when I was a kid, I used to knock on his door to throw the ball with him all the time.

Anderson: Any big-time quarterback. And probably a big-time defensive end, (like) Nick Bosa or Von Miller.

Zay Flowers, WR, Baltimore Ravens: Probably all of the rookies. I’ll be excited — whoever I play from the rookies, I’ll be excited to swap. … I’m cool with all of them. We’ve got our own little group chat. We talk and hang out together.

Which NFL player is the most exciting to watch? (QBs could not pick other QBs)

Stroud: I would say Tyreek Hill. … Travis Kelce is very entertaining … CeeDee Lamb is pretty entertaining. Justin Jefferson. Davante Adams! There are so many entertaining players; I love watching football.

Anderson: Patrick Mahomes. I mean, the way he can get out of the pocket, escape the pocket and throw the ball sideways and extend plays, it’s crazy.

If there’s a current NFL rule you could change, or if you could create a rule, what would it be?

Stroud: I have two. Can I do two? I would say that everybody has to have a dome if you’re in a cold area. And two, more cool uniforms. I don’t think that uniforms are meant to be so generic. Tradition is fine. (But) I think that would make the game more fun. Every cold game in a dome … but it’s OK; you get used to it. Actually, I love playing in the cold, but it’s love-hate.

Richardson: It wouldn’t be a fair rule! But nobody could hit quarterbacks, and we could just score whenever we want. (Laughs)

Anderson: (Gesturing to full-length leggings underneath his pads) These tights. I have never played in tights before, ever, at all, in my life. I’ve never played with anything covering my legs before. Gotta be free. Gotta let my legs breathe.

Thompson-Robinson: Well, I need to make sure I look good on the field. So, covering these knees ain’t it. I’m making sure pads/pants are above the knees. You had better jump over somebody if they’re trying to take you out, because we’ve got to look good out here.

Flowers: I would change the “no showing skin” rule. You could wear low socks. Players are comfortable with low socks! If you don’t have anything on (your legs), you can just run!

If you could invite any NFL non-teammates and/or coaches to dinner and ask them anything, who would it be and why?

Young: I’m gonna cheat a little bit. I’m going to go with Will (Anderson Jr.), Jah (running back Jahmyr Gibbs) and B.B. (safety Brian Branch) because we were just on the same team. Those are my brothers.

Stroud: I would probably do Mahomes, Jalen Ramsey, probably Paris Johnson.

Anderson: Bill Belichick. Aaron Donald.

What is one thing about being a rookie that you don’t think people know about?

Young: I don’t want to say I speak for everyone, but I think you see us at these events — which is great; it’s an honor to be here — and at draft night, it’s an exciting process, but it doesn’t look like how it is publicized. We’re all in the facility just trying to get things together, trying to establish a routine and trying to gain the trust of our teammates. It’s a long and hard process. I’m grateful to be (in) on it … there’s nothing I’d rather be doing. But there’s a lot of work that goes on behind the scenes.

Stroud: It’s not what it seems. It’s a lot of fun, of course, and it’s a blessing. But it’s a lot of hard work. A lot of late nights, early mornings — not a lot of sleep. And we’re regular people. I don’t think people sometimes understand that. … People who are (on the outside), sometimes they think we’re not humble or whatever. I try to remain humble, and I just want people to know that.

Richardson: After getting drafted, you realize that — of course we’re playing ball for fun. But it’s your job now, you get paid to do it now, and there are expectations for you that you have to oblige by. Understanding that it’s your job and also enjoying it, having fun with it, I think that’s probably the main thing I’ve embraced so far about being a rookie.

Mims: For me, it’s just settling in. I still get starstruck being in the receivers room with the guys and seeing Russell Wilson in the team room, locker room, training room. It’s crazy. And having Sean Payton as a coach, I mean, a legendary coach. My family is from Baton Rouge, Louisiana, so huge Saints fans. It really hasn’t become real to me yet, so it’s just wild. Especially if you’re a fan, I’m still kind of like in a “fan mindset” … but I’m actually on the team!

Flowers: How much stuff I actually do. I can’t just be on the phone and stuff; you’ve got to be ready for everything that is coming your way. You’ve got to set some boundaries so you can get done whatever you’ve got to get done.

Thompson-Robinson: As far as I know, rookie dinners are now a myth. So I can keep my money in my pocket.

8. raining threes

If Clowney hadn't been stealing money over the last 2 or 3 years I would agree with you.

ROCKSS likes this.
  9. raining threes

If Clowney hadn't been stealing money over the last 2 or 3 years I would agree with you.

10. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

CJ Stroud and Will Anderson speak highly of the greats, if anyone noticed. They really admire Mahomes, Brady, Aaron Donald, Micah Parsons, Belichick and the high profile guys around the league. For the ones worried about CJ and Deshaun talk....CJ hasn't mentioned anything about Deshaun since before the draft. Everything has been about watching and learning from Mahomes and Brady.

11. raining threes

Matching has a grade II hamstring issue. I wouldn't count on much from him this year.

12. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Metchie does?

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's a bit fair, like always, he's missed a lot of games, but when he's been healthy he's been good.

As a result, I totally understand why people would want to stay out of the Clowney business, but unquestionably when he's healthy he'd be a big boost to the run defense.

14. raining threes

That's what I heard from my doctor friend.

15. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Dammit, hadn’t heard that. Hope it’s not true

16. conquistador#11

Best owner and coach:

red5rocket, Rudyc281 and cmoak1982 like this.
  17. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

18. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

19. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

20. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Mills - "I put my head down and work every day."

With that neck?

[​IMG]