1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Kelly Iko BOMB] Rockets interested in CP3

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TMac'n, May 23, 2023.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Yes that's why I don't want to pay Harden 200 mil and why CP3 is the much more obvious answer as he's worth the price he's going to demand unlike with Harden.

don grahamleone likes this.
  2. Sean Dr34ms

Sean Dr34ms Member

#runasone #lightthefuse #runitback #swagchamps

3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I heard that Ariza is available.

DeBeards and OremLK like this.
  4. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

After reading everyones comments that is in favor I've offically changed my mind, I want pizza instead of tacos for lunch! ;)

Go Rockets!!!

DeBeards and Ancient Moabite like this.
  5. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

I like these names, players, but I'm not sure players near retirement (CP3, Lopez) want to spend their last years babysitting or finishing a rebuild.

DeBeards, amaru and lionaire like this.
  6. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

yes and no .

depends on how much left cp3 has in the tank

we had guys like Schroeder here . Now , no one is CP3 from an IQ standpoint , but we’ve had vets here .

we need someone that can go out there and execute still .

cp3 I might prefer to harden , but that would be from the value of the expected contract . 2 years ?

the young guys need to want to learn . Hopefully 1-2 years of getting their ass kicked has put them in the mindset .

imo I think we need a vet to compete with the kids for PT as much as we need a vet to teach

you can have great intentions with the lesson , but if our young guard (green , porter , draft) knows they are gonna get their 30+ mpg and starting spot where’s the pressure ?

with cp3 it would be hard to sit young guys in favor of playing him … and how many games could he even hold up for ?

with James , if green or kpj isn’t taking to the lesson you can bench their ass and play to win with a group around harden .

if you ask me we’ve invested a lot more in the guards development than the bigs . Sengun , tari , and Jabari have arguably flashed more than green and kpj . Why not bring in veterans to help THEM vs focusing on green and kpj

Boii and BamBam like this.
  7. RoyalGuard

RoyalGuard Member

Cp3 is the perfect fit, along with Lopez. Keep Brooks away from state line!

8. s3ts

s3ts Member

This is all bullshit. We got here because we wanted these players to leave, and get a rebuild going.

If you can’t commit through a rebuild, then stop talking about championships like we’re the Lakers and be okay with a decent playoff run.

amaru and don grahamleone like this.
  9. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They aren’t currently projected to be over the apron. And if they were, and that was their goal, they could get under it by trading someone much less valuable in both production and contract.

BamBam likes this.
  10. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Melo is not unfortunately… retired. I hear there’s some guy out there that’s like Melo from the left though. Playing in China. So good.

DeBeards, Easy and BamBam like this.
  11. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Sincere question, do you think those two seasoned vets want to spend their final years in the league babysitting?

Corrosion and s3ts like this.
  12. OremLK

OremLK Member

Yeah, much as I'd love to have him, I do have my doubts CP3 would be interested. He's no good to us if he's not bought in since one of the main reasons is for him to be a mentor type of guy.

Brook Lopez is a free agent, so if he came here it would be by his own choice and he'd know what he was getting into. It would have to be an overpay by the Rockets to get him to sign, obviously.

13. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

just sayin.....

14. mightybosstone

If your goal isn't to make the playoffs next year, but rather to bring in a veteran point guard to help this team build better habits and learn to play winning basketball, Paul makes 1,000 times more sense than Harden does. And Houston's one of the few teams Phoenix could trade him to without taking back any contracts, so if it frees up $30 million for them to work with this offseason, maybe they'd be interested. Or you have a few guys you could throw in to sweeten the pot. I have to think they'd have interest in role players like Martin and Tate. No clue how much else they'd want because it's hard to gauge Paul's value, but I have to think Houston could come up with a package that Phoenix would have interest in or could get a third team involved.

The question really becomes what Paul wants, though. If he wants to go win a title somewhere, he's not going to be happy in Houston. But I'd personally welcome the man back with open arms. Trading him in the first place is one of the worst mistakes this franchise ever made.

15. xaos

xaos Member

Would take CP3 to mentor these guys a million times over Harden

fchowd0311 likes this.
  16. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

The most realistic addition is Dillon Brooks. They just mentioned those other names to butter us up.

s3ts and daywalker02 like this.
  17. OremLK

OremLK Member

Regarding the getting CP3 to buy in on being traded back here thing--what kind of incentives could the Rockets offer to keep him happy with the deal? His final year (24-25) is non-guaranteed, maybe the Rockets could offer to guarantee it?

Easy likes this.
  18. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

....this can't be true - I refuse to believe this front office is THAT clueless. This sounds to me like posturing for the eventual "we will offer you x to move up to grab Scoot but nothing more because we have backup plans already in place with HOF PGs...."

19. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

sounds like LeBon might be available, that’s the direction we should be going in

DeBeards and Ancient Moabite like this.
  20. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

$40M for an Assistant Coach?? No thanks! Rockets need players between 25 yr - 30yr old max