1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Kelly Iko BOMB] Rockets interested in CP3

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TMac'n, May 23, 2023.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So now the Rockets are going to go into next season with CP3, Harden, Brooks, and Walmart Ben Simmons.

It's almost like people are just throwing random things out there for clicks.

2. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

"Could be among the options"

More like a sparkler than a bomb.

3. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

It's amusing to me, people wanted a veteran PG and then are shocked that the Rockets are interested in acquiring....a veteran PG!

Whether its Harden, CP3, Van Vleet, all vet PGs.

I do think CP3 probably will ring chase though, doubt he's interested in tutoring. Lakers sound like a good spot or some other contending team.

4. jch1911

jch1911 Member

5. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

You poor f*cks, you actually think they're pairing them together lol

Man I really don't like CP3 and I'm still not over the fact that he showed up chubbier than he's ever been to the most important Rockets season in 20 years. However, he is a proven mentor of a star player (SGA). Almost every young backup PG he's ever had has exceeded expectations. He has the voice to tell people to play defense because even if he can't do it anymore, he tries hard. He's not hungry for shots. CP3 is undoubtedly a better fit than Harden. How they plan to convince him to give up on a championship I don't know, but for 1 year @ $30m he's a perfect fit and a perfectly acceptable risk. If he can give us 60 regular season games, we're set. Maybe we can convince him by adding another year @ $27m to his contract. Would be happy to do that too. He has intangible value and 2 years is exactly how long we need him.

LOVE the type of players we're targeting: Lopez, Reaves, Dillon Brooks (don't want) and Cam Johnson (lukewarm for me).

Only ONE player we're targeting doesn't play defense and that's James Harden. Other than Brooks I'd rather get ANY 2 players on this list than Harden. That's CULTURE CHANGE. You know that thing a lot of you were eye-f*cking us with for 2 years.

Brook Lopez and CP3 would be a tremendous haul this summer. I feel like a lot of fans won't be able to accept that because of the Harden hypnosis but for a young team who's offer is "you wanna join a 20-win team?" that's an amazing return. At that point I would actually love to dump KPJ and go for Cam Johnson too but not at the expense of the other two.

6. OremLK

OremLK Member

I was just joking, I understand they're not pairing Harden and CP3, haha

Agreed with liking the players mentioned except Brooks.

Brook Lopez is my personal #1 free agent target. If he actually wants to be here, CP3 would be high on my list of trade targets, especially if we do draft Amen Thompson.

Mathloom likes this.
  7. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Bring him back

8. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

Like the idea. Keep flexibility for better FA class on 2024 (2nd year non-guaranteed). Better mentor than Harden for Scoot/Amen.

PG: Paul, Amen, TyTy
    SG: JG/KPJ
    SF: FA, Tari, KMJ
    PF: Jabari, Garuba
    C: Sengun, FA, Lively?

HD729 and Y2JT like this.
  9. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

This is troubling. Too old, too injury-prone. Time to look to the future!

BamBam likes this.
  10. clos4life

clos4life Member

I would like that move as long as we're basically absorbing his contract and not giving up assets.

11. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

For a mentor role he wouldn't be bad at all. Still a good passer and shooter with only two years left on his deal.

12. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I hear Nick Van Exel is looking for work.

DJ, Corrosion and BamBam like this.
  13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

This reads like speculation. Rockets could be interested in him. That's kinda nothing.

14. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Genuinely wasn't directed at you, I didn't see your post. Believe me some people have convinced themselves Harden is a foregone conclusion.

Lopez is also a top 2 option for me this summer. I don't think we can make it anywhere near the playoffs without a rim protector either as a starter or as a heavy minutes-getter off the bench. I don't think it's a catastrophe for Sengun to come off the bench for a season, it will probably end up elevating his career. No one will even remember he was on the bench for a season when he was 21 years old. Lopez early in his career was deemed a guy who can score in the post and do a little rebounding/shotblocking but overall bad defense. He was in the DPOY conversation this season and is a good 3pt shooter now. I can't think of a more perfect mentor for Sengun. Championship experience too.

I think we can get by with an average PG next season ($10-$20m value). We have some PTSD from the way the offense was ran last season, but once the nerves calm down you realize we don't need a magician at PG. We just need someone solid who's not dying to take a ton of shots. CP3 would mentor not just our PG's but honestly the whole roster. He'd be an extension of Udoka on the floor and the culture would instantly be different. I told people culture will only take a few months to change (when they were panicking) but with this kind of signing it could be practically instantaneous.

Vudu, Streakshooter, BigMaloe and 5 others like this.
  15. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Man a Udoka/CP3 led team would be the ultimate culture changer for this team.

16. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

CP3 makes a ton of sense. I'd much rather have CP3 on a 1 - 2 year contract than Harden on a 4, and he'd stabilize the team.

The Suns will have to let go of one of KD, Booker, CP3, and Ayton to get under the second apron. Duran and Booker are obviously safe, so they may look to move on from CP3, and it would probably take next to no assets to grab him. He'd be a perfect mentor if we go Scoot or Amen in the draft. My only concern would be if he'd disengage because he's been so fixated on winning a ring.

Dobbizzle, Maxgx, BigMaloe and 4 others like this.
  17. topfive

topfive CF OG

CP3 makes more sense to me than Harden.

Maxgx, Vudu, harold bingo and 5 others like this.
  18. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

CP3 is a true professional. When he went to OKc, no one thought he would take that role seriously because there were zero expectations for that rebuilding team but he did and it worked wonders for SGA's career.

19. PolarBear

PolarBear Contributing Member

CP3 at 1-year $30.8M vs Harden at 4-years $200M is a no-brainer, but there's no way CP3 wants to come here.

I expect the Suns to trade him to the Lakers. His contract (one year plus a team option) fits LeBron's contract (one year plus a player option).
    Both are too old to act as 'point' full-time during a game, and it would likely make LeBron happy and end his retirement threat.

The Lakers could trade Beasley, Bamba and Vanderbilt for him, or sign-and-trade DLo for CP3.

jch1911 likes this.
  20. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I mean, how about John Wall while we're at it? I hear Kenny Smith is available....

ApacheWarrior likes this.