1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Woj: Harden Return?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Htown Legend, Dec 25, 2022.

1. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

I went into this last season wanting Harden back to right now hoping this is just a tactic to get money from Philly. Unless there is some underground commitment for one or two other players with their teams to be traded to Houston and we blow up the team for instant contender. I don't see that with Harden anymore unless he plays a Chris Paul role while not getting the Max and bringing in another player. And even then........I don't understand what they are are doing.

2. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Offer him 4 years 180 million with the 3rd and 4th years being team options.

fckbandwagons and CHAMPBOY like this.
  3. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Perfect contact for Harden

4. 13BeardsIN1

13BeardsIN1 Member

I’m in line with this, 2 year max with a third year partial guarantee. But I honestly hope he doesn’t come here and gets a chip somewhere, I would hate the idea that we rooted for this generation’s Karl Malone. It’s makes me cringe inside.

edit: I would love a weight clause,

5. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

You guys are nuts. No to Harden! The guy is going to be 34 next year.

Vudu, Maxgx, jim1961 and 2 others like this.
  6. Asian Sensation

$200M over 4 years for an old sorry ass loser bum?

[​IMG]

Vudu, Maxgx, jim1961 and 5 others like this.
  7. beardsanity713

Everybody and they mama calls Houston their home for all the obvious reasons the cheaper real estate, food and night life Houston literally embraces everyone.

This guy is from LA not Houston
    OKC is his home team and where he had the most team success.

Do we have to go over the grocery list of reasons why this dude has shown to be a fraud..

Internal growth over the nostalgia any day.

All the great Dynasties draft well and make smart FA moves.

BamBam and Maxgx like this.
  8. Salvy

Salvy Member

Offer Harden 100k and a box of honey buns to stay away from The Rockets....

Vudu, DeBeards, Maxgx and 5 others like this.
  9. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

He’s the best FA in the class and in terms of current ability, by a pretty decent margin over everyone else besides Kyrie (by the end of the contract could be a much different story).

Is there any recent example of the best FA in a class not getting offered their max by a team with space?

clos4life likes this.
  10. cheke64

cheke64 Member

The comments are valid. Everyone is laughing at the offer

riko, Maxgx, jim1961 and 2 others like this.
  11. Asian Sensation

Nah … just a bunch of hit pieces and haters who don’t know basketball :rolleyes:

cheke64 likes this.
  12. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I’m not doing 4 guaranteed years at all. I do like the idea at this point of using our cap room but also ensuring that whatever contract we give out our short term so it’s freed up in two(ideally) or three years.

Tate and Christopher to Philly for Harden signed to 4 years 180 with team options on the 3rd and 4th years, should leave us with 35 million in cap room.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Last season KPJ was the best guard on the Rockets, and in terms of current ability, by a pretty decent margin over everyone else.

Does that mean he has the highest trade value on the team?

More goes into it than just that.

Harden is aging and is demanding not just the max for 4 years, but demanding that he be allowed to do whatever you he wants to do on the court and off with no accountability....and he has a history of being a coach hiller and a franchise killer.

That baggage matters more than the fact that he'll probably have some awesome games when it doesn't really matter.

Maxgx and jim1961 like this.
  14. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

Nice non-sequitur. Even with choking, age, and all that nearly every list by ppl who cover the NBA and likely teams themselves will have Harden as the top FA. In terms of current performance it’s not close, other than Kyrie. When you factor in age and everything else (and “everything else” definitely applies to Kyrie too) you can make a case for someone like FVV being a better FA, but most would still have Harden over him. The FAs right behind him are ppl like Porzingis and Draymond.

I can’t recall someone like that not getting offered their max by someone with space. Doesn’t mean it has to be us but it’s pretty likely someone will do it.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It wasn't a non-sequitur even if you failed to follow along.

If Harden's camp thought that he'd actually get max offers, they wouldn't be trying this hard.

I'd be shocked if ANY team saw Harden and his baggage and thought "That's a guy I want to be paying 50+ mil when he's 38!"

For Harden to get the max, that's what would have to happen.

Also, is Harden the best always, or the best only in the regular season? If you want to win in the playoffs, Harden isn't a guy you want even now.

16. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Jeff Van Gundy is not from here. He came to coach. Contract was up. He stayed.

Some people just seem to like it here.

17. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

REMEMBER ::- Harden is not the only additional player for the rockets!!
    Possibly 3 0r 4 others, besides him!!!

Pay him no more than 20mil per year, He already has enough mony in the bank!
    He is getting old and will be happy to be back in Houston.

18. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

You've written this twice now, so who is the top FA??? If its super close, like 1a and 1b, then do you expect teams to also max Kyrie?

I doubt either of them gets the max, but can see them getting something like 4/160ish.

And for those hoping Harden will take a 4 year contract from Houston with only two years guaranteed, think again. Harden (smartly) wants that last big contract.

19. conquistador#11

Didn't Harden say his mom lives in Houston now, full time.

It's funny that people who wanted to tear things down back when we were drafting the 14th pick over and over again haven't been able to handle 2 years of rebuilding.
    When Harden burned the organization, he turned us into the 96 Raptors, but even then the Raptors had a rookie mighty mouse to look forward to.
    We got House, Wall and Victor. We wouldn't get our rookie until the following season.

So yeah I don't want him back unless it's with a few 'conditions' as well.

1. No teen wolf offense. Balls can get sticky somewhere else.
    2. Fertitta friendly deal
    3. No fatsuits.

anthony59237 and Aruba77 like this.
  20. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

lol@ “Teen Wolf” offense.