1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Woj: Harden Return?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Htown Legend, Dec 25, 2022.

1. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Click bait.... trashy click bait

2. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

EXACTLY.

Think, people.

The Rockets' puff-piece sportswriters are gonna eff over their access to the organization (and their cushy jobs) by putting a spotlight on the Harden situation?

Obviously Harden has mentioned to our players he misses those Houston titty bars. That gets back to management. But, until he signs with us, he isn't going to sign with us. Will Morey back up the Brinks truck in Philly to keep him (thinking as Morey so often does, "Then I'll trade his ass")? Something probably not lost on Harden.

SamFisher likes this.
  3. 13BeardsIN1

13BeardsIN1 Member

All the executives in Chicago ( NBA combine) are saying the same things from what I heard on various nba podcast.

4. CarlosGM

CarlosGM Member

we can’t start the season without spending a lot on free agents or via trade. The NBA minimum salary is much higher than the current payroll. We might end up offering Marjanovic a 40 million - 1 season contract

groovemachine and SamFisher like this.
  5. shocky2002

shocky2002 Member

He had a 4.1 BPM in the playoffs. Equivalent to a 3rd best player on a championship team. He wasn't a one way guy, defense was actually pretty decent.

HP3 likes this.
  6. 13BeardsIN1

13BeardsIN1 Member

No way, his 1 on 1 defense is awful (he can’t move his feet anymore). Harden also fell asleep a lot in back cuts by Brogdon. His saving grace on defense is he made good gambles on defense to get steals.

7. shocky2002

shocky2002 Member

I thought he did well when switched onto Tatum for a couple of possessions. He's always been ass at off-ball defense, but on-ball, the Celtics began the series targeting him in ISO and it wasn't working as well as when they chose to target Maxey instead. Either way he's not at that "6th man on a contender" level any time soon. He's maybe at that level of OKC Harden, but they were only bringing him off the bench to stagger minutes with the big 3.

HP3 likes this.
  8. 13BeardsIN1

13BeardsIN1 Member

Honestly he did have some good possessions on Tatum, but Tatum always bails out the defense when he does his stepback 2 or 3. We can disagree on the 6th man on a contender, he has continued to make poor decisions in the fourth quarter. I would be fine with playing Harden quarters 1-3.

9. Landry's Tooth

I'm open minded about him coming back but want to see what is out there to trade for first. If there's him or Porzingis I'm taking Harden all things equal.

That being said, hard to believe there's not someone we can acquire under 30...

don grahamleone likes this.
  10. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I agree with the idea here completely - Harden aint coming here on a discount .... unless Stone builds a contender.

BUT* I do believe that there are multiple scenario's where you can turn this roster into a real contender.

Stone has enough assets and cap space to add Harden as a free agent and three more quality players while keeping much of the young talent currently on the roster.
    It only makes sense to make those moves as a whole, you can't do part of it. It's all or nothing.
    Harden, one other young star, a really good player & a MLE guy transforms this roster ....

jch1911 likes this.
  11. OremLK

OremLK Member

I don't see any possible way this roster can become a contender right now if you mean "championship contender". Contender to make the playoffs, sure, that's relatively easy these days since they added the play-in.

But yeah--Harden couldn't win it all with the MVP Embiid... so, what then...? He's going to win it all with a pupu platter from this awful free agent class & no superstars currently available for trade?

Maybe something will change and a big-name player will shake loose. But right now I'm not seeing it.

jch1911 and Ancient Moabite like this.
  12. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

This is why the NBA publishes the tracking stats.

Here's the stats when guarded by Harden in the BOS vs PHi playoff series:

Brogden 4/16 Field Goals ( 25%), 1/7 on 3 pointers (14.3 3pt%) with 2 assists and 2 turnovers

Tatum 11/25 Field Goals ( 44%), 1/7 on 3 pointers (14.3 3pt%) with 1 assist and 2 turnovers

#3072 aelliott, May 21, 2023
    Last edited: May 21, 2023
    HP3 likes this.
  13. aelliott

I posted this in another thread but I'll repost here. This is from Kelly Iko's interview with Udoka this week for The Athletic. To me, here's Udoka's most interesting reply:

But do you see free agency as more of a chance to give this team a facelift or simply adding pieces around a young core?

I would say more complementary, honestly. I mean you want to do both. You want to add veterans that aren’t just a voice only, you want them to be out there, play and push the guys. But, as I’ve said, regardless of free agency and the draft, we still have a group of guys we want to grow, and we’re looking for internal growth. More so than necessarily looking for an outside guy to try to save the day. We want these guys to grow, but we’re going to add pieces to push and compete for time and are out there to play to complement the young guys that we already have.

That sounds like the focus is around developing and building around our young core. Based on his response, it doesn't sound like he's trying to swing for the fences with a veteran.

But, there's still all of the Harden rumors which seem to indicate a different direction. I assume Udoka has input and knows the team's plans but the Harden rumors just won't go away.

One way or another I believe that we're bringing in a PG. Could be Harden if you believe the rumors. We've already interviewed Kendrick Davis and Marquis Nowell ( BTW I would love it if we brought him in as 2nd rounder or undrafted guy) and they are going to interview Amen Thompson on Thursday. If we don't get a PG in the draft then I've got to believe that Harden's a lock.

If we end up taking Amen Thompson, then it wouldn't really tell us anything as he fits with or without Harden.

Should make for an interesting couple of months.

BigMaloe, HP3, BaselineFade and 2 others like this.
  14. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

We’re not taking Thompson as he isn’t a good player.

eliefor3 likes this.
  15. aelliott

NBA scouts disagree with you. If we keep the pick, he's the most likely choice

Here's the current Vegas odds for pick #4

NBA 2023 Draft No. 4 Overall Pick Odds
    Amen Thompson -110
    Brandon Miller +480
    Jarace Walker +480
    Ausar Thompson +480
    Cam Whitmore +950
    Scoot Henderson +3600
    Taylor Hendricks +4900
    Anthony Black +5500

BaselineFade and OremLK like this.
  16. shocky2002

shocky2002 Member

Those aren't great numbers at all. Tatum's putting up less than 1 point per FGA, would need to see his FT's

17. shocky2002

shocky2002 Member

What he is at this point is a #3 guy that gives you a few great performances here and there to steal you a couple of games, but other than that, he'll just play the CP3 role when things get dicey. Ironically, he made the biggest mistake of his career by leaving Brooklyn, having Kyrie/KD to close out a series for him would have been ideal.

And yeah, historically speaking his big drop offs come in games 5-7. He's actually Jordan level efficient in games 1-4 for his career.

Also we're only talking playoffs here. In the regular season he's obviously way more effective. He can drag this team to the play-in.

HP3 likes this.
  18. OremLK

OremLK Member

Kind of a silly statement to make. You can not like him and not believe in him as a prospect, but he's the consensus #4 on draft boards (even reportedly as high as #2 on some boards) so there's undeniably a very high chance the Rockets will take him. They've generally picked pretty in line with consensus under Stone.

19. Cosmonaut

Cosmonaut Member

I'd take Harden for 20-25 million per season. But even then I am still reluctant. I just want a clean start for these kids.

daywalker02 likes this.
  20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

To an extent he is one of the best athletes and good playmaker.

Just does not have enough fundamentals and shooting.

At some point we have to start drafting the underrated guy with potential.